CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

New Decision 8-1/2

8-1/2 Exchanging Distance Information

Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole. (Revised)
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey

Information regarding the distance between two objects is public information and not advice. It is therefore permissible for players to exchange information relating to the distance between two objects. For example, a player may ask anyone, including his opponent, fellow-competitor or either of their caddies, the distance between his ball and the hole. (Revised)
    If it was you and me, last hole of the club championship, tied for the lead, side by side in the fairway of course, you had a range finder and I asked you how far it was to the hole, would you tell me? ignore me? or give me a false yardage?

Well, in truth, I would ask you if you trusted me.... ;-)

But I really posted this since it was always considered advice before, but now you can ask without getting nailed on the spot.

...but if you did ask me, I'd expect that when I tell you you'd say you knew already and hole it anyway. ;-)

Hope the white goes and the grass dries soon.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road

It was done to allow for the situation where one player could afford to buy a rangefinder and others in his group could not. I think the RBs assumed that being gentlemen (or ladies), players would share such information

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    this may seem off topic but if you ask someone what club they used to hit that yardage it's a penalty stroke right?
    Proost!

"Richard"
    thats not allowed

Quote Originally Posted by AAA sez...
    where one player could afford to buy a rangefinder and others in his group could not.
    ...so, I'm inferring that you mean it's contrary to the rules to use their rangefinder...

...follow up question. Why would there be a specific decision about this, but only a suggested local rule for the use of rangefinders?

[/color]

1dash1
    Spidey:

There is no prohibition under the rules for borrowing a rangefinder. However, as a practical matter, it's easier to ask for a distance than to physically exchange the equipment.

Conjecture is that the rangefinder rule made its way into the rulebook via decision/local rule because the rulesmakers wanted to deal with the matter of rangefinders expeditiously. Otherwise, they would ordinarily have waited until 2008, the next rules revision date.

Arguably, the ruling bodies do not need to make any rules changes. This is merely a new interpretation of what constitutes public information. Given the new interpretation that any distance on the golf course is public information, it reasonably follows, from other previous rulings, that it doesn't matter how one obtains such public information. Hence, electronic measuring devices are okay.

While this may be logically so, the issue has been so heatedly debated, I expect to see the rule change in 2008.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by 1dash1
    Given the new interpretation that any distance on the golf course is public information, it reasonably follows, from other previous rulings, that it doesn't matter how one obtains such public information. Hence, electronic measuring devices are okay.
    While this may be logically so, the issue has been so heatedly debated, I expect to see the rule change in 2008.
    I'm not sure why this would, or should be 'heatedly' debated. (is heatedly a word?)With tools like Google earth distances truly are public knowledge, not that I carry my laptop around the golf course but IMO it makes no sense to even debate the issue. Resistance is futile, we will all be assimilated.

Shivas Irons sez...

With tools like Google earth distances truly are public knowledge
    Lucky you. Google doesn't have high resolution images of my golf course.

[/color]

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I'm not sure why this would, or should be 'heatedly' debated. (is heatedly a word?)With tools like Google earth distances truly are public knowledge, not that I carry my laptop around the golf course but IMO it makes no sense to even debate the issue. Resistance is futile, we will all be assimilated.
    1dash1 said'has been heatedly debated'. Which it has on this and many other forums (fora?)

Incidentally, my dictionary says 'heatedly' is an adverb derived from 'heated'

1dash1
    Shivas Irons:

I don't like the idea of using EMD's, but I admit it is more of a personal bias than anything else. It may take me longer than most to get used to the idea. Maybe in my next life, eh?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Lucky you. Google doesn't have high resolution images of my golf course.
    Mine either, but I remember reading on this forum about someone measuring yardage at Stonebridge using Google earth.
    Now we'll find out the yardages at most of the courses we play are incorrect and there will be something else that will be heatedly debated.

Shivas notes...

Now we'll find out the yardages at most of the courses we play are incorrect
    Actually, I just googled a bunch of the courses I play like Stonebridge, Loch March and more. I found that the yardages are very close to what I think they are, which are very close to what they post. I think the big discrepancy that people don't think about are the playing conditions.... wet grass, soft landing areas, elevation changes and winds.... fairways like runways... ...not to mention the fact that everybody is *sure* they know how far every club they hit will go... to the inch.

Lemme just say that I know I can hit a drive 245, but my range is more like 210-250 depending on wind, elevation and landing area. If somebody can hit a drive and say within 5 yards how long they hit it before it lands, I'd be more than surprised. (or maybe that's why I can't break par )

Yes, the courses aren't as long as we think they are, but they're basically as long as they say they are. Courses are measured by rangefinders when they do the course ratings aren't they? Isn't that part of the rating process?

...ymmv

[/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 gbower is on a distinguished road
    I've been involved for a few years in helping the OVGA measure courses for them to be rated and the measuring is done down the centre of the fairways to the centre of the greens. We measure from each tee box. On the tee box we knock one yd. off the front and two off the back and then measure from the centre of that box. If there are three sets of tees on one tee box it will then be divided into three equal boxes for those measurements. Most of the course score cards have been fairly close to what we have measured using Bushnel rangefinders. There have been a few where the scorecard wasn't even close. A couple of courses were doing new scorecards and wanted our measurements to use.
    When we were at one course the pro wanted to know the distance on one specific hole as he said he didn't believe the distance from the 150 marker. He said he always hit his shot long and sure enough it was out about 15 yds from the marker. He had it moved the next day.

Thread Information