100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Tweeking my set, need some help

So I guess for the 5th time my set isn't done....

I don't nsee the point of having two 19* clubs in the bag... (5w and 3 rescue) so here are some options I came up with

1. get rid of the 5 wood and get a lob wedge
    2. Get rid of the 3w and the 5w and get a strong 3 and a 4 w( 13* and 17*)
    3. get rid of the 3 and 5w and get a 16.5 w and then add the LW

getting rid of the 19* utitliyy is not an option, its my best club

1. can't really hit a lob wedge but planning on practising a lot this year
    2. 4w would be great but strong 3 might be to much club for me to control
    3. this prob. makes the most sense but hw much yardage am i giving up off the tee by going from 15 to 16.5? no much I hope.... if that is the case then i will go with 3

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I forget what the yards/* of loft is but going from 15* to 16.5 you are losing less than 10yds, I think. Somebody will chime in here with exact numbers, but I was under the impression it was 3-4yds per *of loft. I may be mistaken though.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Just keep all the clubs in the bag and hook up with your friend that steals range balls
    The rescue would be better in the fairway,for me anyway?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I would def. think that lob wedge is the way to go and drop the 5 wood..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

"Richard"
    I was thinking the lob wedge is going to be very useful this year. I'm thinking I will gain more out of it than I will a 5 wood...

so If I've decided to get the lobwedge then I will dump the 5 wood.... like geoff said, if its only going to be about 6 yards cause of the loft and then probably I'd rather pull it and go with the 16.5* so I have more control, less side spin.

Now the only question is, get the prolaunch shaft in the 16.5 wood or the nvs?

Like you said before,the lob wedge is a nasty little guy to master.
    Worst club in my bag bar none!
    Hate it,but cant give it up
    Everyone tells me to get rid of it,but i cant!

"Richard"
    Covant, do you think you are better than me cause you got to 1000 first?? I chanllenge you to a duel sir...your lob wedge against mine.

Time - whenever the course opens
    place - greensmere 12th hole (or is it 14th) the par 3 with the 50 foot drop...
    winner gets to throw geoffs clubs in the water.. but he doesn't care, he has 4 more sets

Dont worry Thotho,the way you post,you should hit 2000 in about a month

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Haha.. I love my lob wedge.. I only used it around the greens for flop shots and in the bunker.. I wouldn't be able to scramble without it!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

"Richard"
    Ok boys, so these are the things I need to do before I start golfing.

1. echange my 5w for a cg10 Lw
    2. exchange my 3w for a 16.5* wood (same make)
    3. reshaft my utility clubs with graphite to close to gap between fairway woods and utility clubs
    4. cut down my driver to 43.5 from 45 and maybe take half an inch off my fairway if DON at arista says it a good idea... then I'm done. Stayed tuned for my next "I'm tweeking my set" or "I thought I was done" or "my set is complete... until I change my mind again"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    As long as I get to throw whoever threw my clubs in afterwards to get them back. And I only have two sets of irons.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    two sets after we throw them in or two included the set in the bottom of the pond I might lose this one on purpose so i dn't have to go for a swim... I'll use my driver.. ahah

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

New Poll

What will happen first:

1. We start golfing in the Ottawa region
    2. Thotho stop's "tweaking" his bag.....

I was pretty sure this was going to happen.

Anyways, I would not get rid of the 5w necessarily. You may find some courses where you want the 5w and others where you want the LW. On courses where I know I will have the potential for more varied short shots, or that have really hard greens, I will carry the LW but sometimes it is nice to have the 5w when you need to have more options for long approaches on par 5's and long 4's (since I don't hit it as far as most of those in the "Post your yardage" thread.....)

G.

"Richard"
    I wish I could afford to keep both and look at the course layout and yardages before I played and deicde which one I need but I can't afford to leave one of two $200 clubs at home.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    The best advice I could give you is sell all your clubs and pick a new sport. Golf is obviously to confusing for you with all these types of questions all the time.

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Carry 13 clubs.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    The best advice I could give you is sell all your clubs and pick a new sport. Golf is obviously to confusing for you with all these types of questions all the time.
    Not confusing at all, but to many options... should I carry a 2 iron or a 5 wood, should I carry a 52, 56, 60 or a 54, 58 and an extra long club? Its easy for a pro to dcide because they have millions of dollars, all the time in the world and people with lots of knowledge to advise them. Gotta make sure you have the right equipment and the right swing i will never give up golf, I love it, I'm obsessed!

What a horrible suggestion... ahahah

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Thotho since you seem to be so confused over what clubs to play, what balls to play, whether you can heat ball up, use range balls, 5 woods, rescue clubs, lob wedges, what yardage does a range ball fly compared to your normal ball. etc etc etc etc. Maybe you should end your frustration with the game of golf and take up tennis That way there is only one ball you can use, and a few different rackets Might make your life a lot more simple!
    Bottom line, you play what you want to play. None of us know your game, we can not pick your clubs for you.
    My set is made up of what I want to play, not what Joe Jack tells me I should be playing because he plays that club, or those irons etc.
    You and only you can decide what is best for your game.
    PS if you are not a scratch golfer, leave the 2 iron at home to hang hats on. Why on earth would you want to carry a TWO IRON?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Thotho since you seem to be so confused over what clubs to play, what balls to play, whether you can heat ball up, use range balls, 5 woods, rescue clubs, lob wedges, what yardage does a range ball fly compared to your normal ball. etc etc etc etc. Maybe you should end your frustration with the game of golf and take up tennis That way there is only one ball you can use, and a few different rackets Might make your life a lot more simple!
    Bottom line, you play what you want to play. None of us know your game, we can not pick your clubs for you.
    My set is made up of what I want to play, not what Joe Jack tells me I should be playing because he plays that club, or those irons etc.
    You and only you can decide what is best for your game.
    PS if you are not a scratch golfer, leave the 2 iron at home to hang hats on. Why on earth would you want to carry a TWO IRON?
    Good one!
    I might also like to suggest bowling. You get one ball and no clubs or rackets!
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    So I guess for the 5th time my set isn't done....

I don't nsee the point of having two 19* clubs in the bag... (5w and 3 rescue) so here are some options I came up with
    my guess is that you hit the 5w further than the rescue... different shaft lengths/flex, COR, etc...

you might be fine with keeping things the way they are. sometimes we make changes just for the sake of change...

"Richard"
    Thanks for the help boys. I pulled the 5w, and didn't get the lob wedge either. Switched to a 17* 4s... for a total of 13 clubs.

For those of you telling me to quit golf... very very bad! Not very encouraging for a rookie asking you guys with more exp for help. You will never get rid of me!!! EVER!!!

Just remember, first full season of golf, 13.8 handicap over the last half... best round = 77... two eagles... 6 rounds with under 30 putts... where do i sign up for the PGA tour

Thread Information