100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I've played Falconridge a few times,someone refresh my memory.
    Whats wrong with #10?
    I'm not a big fan of #18!
    It's the single-file fairway. When it gets baked dry in the summer you can't get a lob wedge to hold it off the tee. There's no rough to slow the ball down either. It's fairway and then trees. That hole is a round killer, no matter how well you're playing.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    mont cascade 15 par 3 116 yrds downhill
    Proost!

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    At least if you play it in April you can walk down the concrete wall to get your ball.
    I'd love to sit in there with a snorkel some hot day in July and pop up every once in a while just to see what happens...

Amateur BullDog is on a distinguished road BullDog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Daft_driver
    #17 at Outaouais. Any teebox consisting of astro-turf, is an utter embarassment.
    I played all 3 nines last year several times throughout the season. I can't remember playing off astro-turf once.... which of the three 9s has astro-turf on #8?!?

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Chateau Cartier

I will double up on CC number 17, stupid uphill, you can hit the perfect club and end up off the green or screw it up completely and find the green. Now that takes talent!!
    Last edited by leftylucas; 03-21-2006 at 08:51 AM.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    #18 at Glen Mar - that horseshoe green is aggravating and hokey

1 Iron Daft_driver is on a distinguished road
    Not sure which nine , but it is the #8, elevated tee par 3. It has been documented on the forum before.

Quote Originally Posted by mmason31
    I played all 3 nines last year several times throughout the season. I can't remember playing off astro-turf once.... which of the three 9s has astro-turf on #8?!?

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    As a member of GlenMar, I have to agree about #18. It's got to be one of the most aggravating holes around. Most of the time, the pin is directly behind the bunker and unless you can hit a really high, soft shot, you're screwed. I'd love to see them fill in the bunker, keep the slope for the green and put in a couple of green side bunkers. At least it would make it more fair for the average golfer. There's also a little par 3 at MontPellier that I think is kind of stupid. You're standing on the tee and have to aim at some tree or mountian, because you can't see the green that's about a 40 foot drop. When you have to hold up on a sand wedge and pray, not a good hole.

My 2 cents.

9 Iron LoisDNominator is on a distinguished road
    I agree about No. 9 Norway Bay. What is it, an 8-iron, 9 iron dogleg right?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Never played Falcon Ridge, I guess I'm glad. Looks like the landing area of the fairway is about 25 yds wide trees to trees and it's a dogleg in the landing area.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger72
    How come you play this hole from the LADIES tees?

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Madawaska #6?? 7iron/SW

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    It's all the name.
    Blue tees are 150 yrds with never ending wind action to 3/4 island green with two vastly different teers. IMO It should be in the other thread.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

7 Wood dan_670_12 is on a distinguished road dan_670_12's Avatar
    For me i think that the worst hole in the area is 6 at the canadien on the east corse the green there is a joke its like going up on a crazy angle

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    BURN!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Caddy Thunder is on a distinguished road
    # 16 par 3 at Lock March. Better be on the right tier or short of the green.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    It's all the name.
    Blue tees are 150 yrds with never ending wind action to 3/4 island green with two vastly different teers. IMO It should be in the other thread.
    And you better stop it quick because it is narrrrrow. I like this hole as well.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    Never played Falcon Ridge, I guess I'm glad. Looks like the landing area of the fairway is about 25 yds wide trees to trees and it's a dogleg in the landing area.
    Too generous!!! About 18 yards wide but ditches/trees on both sides. Must be EXACTLY between 171 to 186 out. Either no shot to the corner to the little green or in the trees/ditch thru the fairway.

OHH YEAH 99% of all balls going out of sight left/right or long will never be seen again.

Too bad as there are a few interesting holes to contend with.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    OH, i remember that hole at falcon ridge now. I somehow managed to play it safely, but I remember that both the guys I played with lost balls to the ditch on the left. Agreed...very poorly designed hole

"Richard"
    Here is my question, don't these people who run/own the courses realize these holes suck? I'm sure someone has mentioned it to them before. SO... why not change the hole? cost to much? isn't it better to spend the money and not have everyone on ottawa golf trashing the 10-11-12 holes? How many of you have played it again? How much would it honestly cost to get rid of the bunker at the 18th on greensmere? Turn the whole thing into a back to front downward sloping green... wouldn't cost much. Sometimes I don't understand the logic of these people... but maybe I don't understand because I'm missing something... anyone?

Well, I have no idea what it costs to run a golf course, or what kind of profit there is, but I imagine the cost of making significant changes to a hole is very high, construction wise. You also have to consider the logistics of it - do you have enough space to make the necessary changes? There must also be other less obvious things too. Changing a hole is presumably going to mean that, for the duration of the construction, the hole is either closed or nearly unplayable. Not too many people are going to be happy about that. I'm sure that would cost you some business. You'd also likely have to reduce green fees slightly while renovations were occurring, or risk losing more business.

The real question is, what are the benefits? Sure, everyone is chiming in and saying they don't like this or that hole, but how many of the people are going to avoid a course altogether because of one hole. Sure, a few people might 'boycott' a course, but for the most part, golfers won't stop playing a course because of one hole. Hell, the amount of traffic this site gets, these courses are probably benefitting from people who are going to play these courses just to see what all the fuss is about. Yes, as a golfer it would be great if all these courses changed up their crappy holes, but it doesn't seem to make sense for them...but maybe I don't understand because I'm missing something

"Richard"
    no, you are right... but I'll never play that course after hearing what people have said about it. Then again, I was the first to mention glenmars 18th and its my fav course... I play it all the time. THAT is one hole that can very easily be fixed, just get rid of that bunker... a back to front sloping green is hard enough, doesn't have to be shaped like a horse shoe with a bunker in the middle.

I guess that brings me to my next point, why even design such a stupid hole? its not mini putting....

I agree with you there. Some holes just seem like they have not been fully thought out. Those two holes at Chateau Cartier just don't make sense to me. Every time I play there, I manage to hit perfect shots into both of those greens..even get complimented on occasion by playing partners. But, have I ever had a putt for birdie? Have I ever got up to the green and seen my ball where everyone expected it to be? Nope. Just a waste of my two best approach shots of the day. Holes like this it just seems so obvious that something is wrong. I don't watch a tonne of golf on tv, but I have never seen holes like that. If the pros don't play them, how can we mortals be expected to do it.

I understand that they want to make their course unique, but they should be using some more common sense. I haven't played Glen-Mar, but by the sounds of it, they're lucky that that green isn't completely destroyed with people getting fed up and taking their wedges from the wrong side. Seems like they're asking for disaster.

Man am I aching to play some golf right now.

9 Iron putterking is on a distinguished road
    Believe it or not, the 18th. green at GlenMar was designed by the owner to be their signature hole. You have to understand that they had absolutely no experience in either designing or running a golf course. Just think, that used to be #9 when it was only a 9 hole course and it was only a par 3. It ususally played about 185 right into the wind.

Nice eh?

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    no it wasnt playing from the ladies tees lol. it was under construction when i went this summer and i lost 3 balls, and a bit of my dignity
    Proost!

8 Iron MrMulligan is on a distinguished road
    I hate #16 at the Dome/Haute Plains. Stupid 150 yds uphill first shot on a par 5? If you don't clear the corner you have to play a wedge to the corner and hope you don't go into the woods with the downhill roll. In fact the entire back nine really sucks.

I also hate #2 at the Marshes. Unless you have pinpoint accuracy you're going to lose at least 2 balls on this hole. I played in a foursome where we lose a combines 9 balls and shot a cumulative 21 over par on that hole. Talk about a round wrecker!

Lob Wedge True North is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    The correct answer to this question is:

#9 Norway Bay.
    We have a winner.

8 Iron Fozz is on a distinguished road Fozz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sandbagger72
    Like the others said, play this from the back tees and let us know what you think then...

I think it's a great and difficult par 3. Wind is always in play and that green is not easy by any means.

Mind you, it was really bad when it used to be a par 4.

Pitching Wedge boyabouttown is on a distinguished road boyabouttown's Avatar
    I do not like the design of the 14th hole at Eagle Creek. I think it is unfair to anyone who cannot drive the ball more than 230 yards. Shorter hitters who hit a perfect tee shot left of the hazard are "rewarded" with a longer second shot!

Someone mentioned the par 3 9th hole at Montebello. I agree. I played there once with a longtime member who showed me the original tee box. He explained that the homeowner who is adjacent to hole complained about the number of balls hitting his house. Real shame when the location of a house dictates the design of a golf hole! Did not stop me form dropping a ball. The original design was a beauty. Another mistake at Montebello is the first par 5. What is with that tee box? The idea of hitting off a piece of outdoor carpet is absurd! Why not bring the tee down and create a great par 4?

Thread Information