100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar

Back from Myrtle Beach

Well I am back from my trip to Myrtle and sitting at my desk at work I thought I would give you guys a very brief report of the courses we played... We left thurdsay night at 6 and arrived in Myrtle at 10 a.m friday morning.. Hit some outlet malls and some beers and called it an early night..

Saturday was our first game at The Wizard.. Very nice course good layout, but whats with that clubhouse?? They have a pink castle for a clubhouse and it looks terrible.. As far as my golf game it started out looking great.. As you may know I have a new shaft in my driver and new irons.. I shot 76 after shooting even on the back 9.. Unfourtunatly this is as good as it got..

Sunday we played at Ocean Plantation on the Tigers Eye course.. One of my favorites.. The layout was great. I would def. reccomend this one to anyone.. Greens had been airaited and where a bit bumpy.. My putting was not great and I finished with an 84.

Next up was Kings North.. Overated in my opinion... I didn't care for the course.. They had no yardage books which made a couple holes really tough because with blind tee shots and signs on the holes to show you the hole you had no idea where you were going.. The gambler is quit the hole.. Its #6 on the front 9.. A par 5 with an island fairway. We made a deal as a group of 12 that everyone had to go for the island.. So I hit my driver on no prob. I then had 210 carry to the flag all over water into the wind. I then hit a 3 wood right at the flag but it carried long and went in the water behind the flag.. I tapped in at the end of the day for a dismal 90..

Tuesday we went to Rivers Edge.. By far my fav. course we played.. The par 5 9th is one of the best holes I have ever played.. The course was built in a Marsh and allowed for some great holes.. I played fairly solid and came in with a 79.

Wednesday we played Oyster Bay.. pretty neat place to go if you have never been there.. There are oysters every where.. the parking lot is surrounded by mounds of them... Their signature hole was the par 3 I think 8th but can't remeber... Its an island green par 3 surrounded by oysters.. It played about 150 that day.. The starter told us that on average 1 guy per group hits the green there and that if they took all the balls out of the water the water level would drop 2 feet!! I proceeded to hit one in the water and then rehit from the tee and stuffed it in about 8 feet from the flag.. a solid bogey.. The course was in good shape.. some of the greens were very hard and tough to hold.. I played like crap agian and birdied the last hole to keep it under 90.. a solid 89.

Thursday we rolled into Carolina National a Fred couples design.. Not a bad layout.. The greens were lightning fast.. I didn't really care for this course.. I think I was turned off right at the start when the guys giving out the carts were dicks! Also they have 27 holes so there is some weird crossover stuff happening.. I think I shot 85 it wasn't pretty again..

Friday we played the Palmetto course at Myrtlewood. One of my favs. The course was a great layout and the greens were awsome.. Rolled very true and pure.. I shot an 81 that included two triples and a double so overall not bad.. There was a foursome of young girls behind us that had an audience following them.. They were up our asses all day.. Looked like good players.. The one person following them said after 5 the one girl was 1 under.. Not sure how they finished up but they were good players.. And only about 15.

Saturday we packed up and started home... We stopped in at Panthers Run and played 9 holes.. This was the tightest course I have ever seen.. Out of bounds on both sides of most fairways..

Overall great trip had a blast.. Weather was in the 20s most everyday.. We had some good times at night but I will keep those stories to myself!!
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Sounds like you had a great time!
    We all sat here looking at more snow falling on Sat.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar
    Scotty, have you ever played Tidewater? I think that's my favourite course down there. Second place goes to Blackmoor.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

No I haven't played tidewater.. Too expensive.. My buddies played it cheap in November and liked it a lot.. This time of year its like 150+ I believe...

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    got back from Myrtle 3 weeks ago, played 3 of the courses you mentioned. 79 at River's edge is a damn good score TIGHT COURSE.

My favorite was actually Carolina National.

how about trying to get back to interstate 40 from 17 through Wilmington!!!??? WOW was that annoying
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

yeah not fun driving.. what other courses did you play?

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    No I haven't played tidewater.. Too expensive.. My buddies played it cheap in November and liked it a lot.. This time of year its like 150+ I believe...
    As low as $133 Monday-Wednesday mornings. There is actually an Easter Special which is $81 between April 12 -19, 2006 which is an amazing price.
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Nice.. I know my buddies play tidewater in like november for a cheap price.. not sure how much but enjoyed it..

I played River Hills, Panther's Run, Sea Trail Jones, Farmstead, and Carolina National

A friend of mine who hadn't broken 80 in a year fired a 74 at Carolina National from the blues (well the second last set of tees) it was an impressive round to watch

Nice we played those tees too.. def. a solid round.. My on buddy that came down is a solid 1 handicap and fired a 74 there and finished bogey bogey to shoot 72 at kings north..

3 Iron langille5 is on a distinguished road

Myrtle Trip

Scotty:
    The course we played on the way back was on 17 just south of Wilmington called Magnolia Greens. It has to be one of the tighest courses ever. Fairway, some rough and then out of bounds on both sides. Conditions were very good but some over enthusiatic marshals. The one guy was nice but the other three were worried we were going to screw up the cross over. I told them we were only playing nine holes. It is a members course with a big tournament going on was what was explained to us. I said if it was a big problem they shouldn't have sold us a green fee. They told us the proshop doesn't tell them what is going on. This turned me off and I won't play there again which is too bad because it is a well conditioned course.

Yeah.. tighest course I ever played.. The marshalls were nice to us behind you.. maybe your just slow!! haha jk..

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    I've played Tiger's Eye a couple of times and were going back this April and playing it again along with Lion's Paw. Also played Carolina National a few years back. Tons of bunkers on that course and not my favourite either but scored my first eagle ever there on #18!
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

7 Wood gumby is on a distinguished road

myrtle beach

all those course we have played at one time or other and its been great, my comment is on highways 17 and 40 in wilmington...talk about going round in circles....
    its good they are takin about putting a brand new interstate right into myrtle beach from i95...its supposed to be a toll road, which will mean it gets built soon...cant
    wait..myrtle has built up and spread out so much in the last few years and they really need a direct way into town...

Lob Wedge derelicte is on a distinguished road
    I was with Scotty and we had no issues getting from 17 to 40, thier was only 2 exits and we were their. We must have had a superior navigator.

I wonder if thats the same navigator we had when we were looking for Myrtlewood? hahah

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    how nice is carolina national. i hear nothing but good things from it?
    Proost!

Like I said I didn't love it.. It was ok.. The guys loading up the carts were dicks and it turned me off.. The course def. had some nice holes and the greens were lighting..

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    and there's about a billion bunkers on the course....
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Thread Information