CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: 17th @ Sawgrass

NFL Guru fundonny is on a distinguished road fundonny's Avatar

17th @ Sawgrass

Anyone ever golfed it?

I was supposed to two summers ago, but our plans got changed at the last minute and we ended up in Myrtle. I golfed World Tour, which is a replica course of the world's greatest holes. I'm a good iron player and I bounced two balls off the wooden edge into the water. Great experience, but humbling.
    Donny Vantage NFL Guru, since 1974
    Money won is twice as sweet as money earned

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I would love to play that hole. Perhaps more than any hole in the world. Well, I kinda have played it. On a simulator, about three times. I am proud to say that I have never found the water!
    My name is Paul. And I'm a golfaholic.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    TW 2006!
    Still a hard hole.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Ace shovellover is on a distinguished road shovellover's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Anyone ever golfed it?

I was supposed to two summers ago, but our plans got changed at the last minute and we ended up in Myrtle. I golfed World Tour, which is a replica course of the world's greatest holes. I'm a good iron player and I bounced two balls off the wooden edge into the water. Great experience, but humbling.
    I played an island green at Bearmountain in Victoria, BC that has the same yardage. Stuck three in the drink. One directly, & two just wouldn't hold the green for me.

It's a tricky hole because it's set in a semi-circle quarry & has some serious wind swirling.

"Richard"
    woodensticks had a copy of this hole...

http://www.woodensticks.com/content.php?cname=course_17

The entire course is inspired by various holes from different courses. $150 a round I think, not bad. This course is EXTREMELY hard from what everyone tells me

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

No comparison but

At Montpelier there is an island green but much less water between the mainoand and the green. The tee is also severely elevated which makes for a difficult club selection but the elevation does make the ball land and stick, ususally no run offs. What is great is that there is a live webcast for that hole, I will be tuning in that is for sure. I am pretty sure it is on www.pgatour.com and then choose live@17
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

It Isn't The 17th At Sawgrass, But It Eats A Lot Of Balls

My home course has a mini version of the 17th at Sawgrass. An island green, with a ground walkway off the back of the green. Now the water area is not as big, but it still eats a a lot of golfballs every year
    Hole plays anywhere from 110-126 yds, to a green that is crowned in the middle and slopes off towards the water in every direction. There is roughly 10 feet of land off the edges of the green, that also slopes down towards the water.
    You aim for the centre of the green, take your two putts and head to the next hole. A couple of years ago two guys came in to take the balls out and hauled out 5000 balls from the water.
    It might sound easy as it is a short yardage, but try playing it when the wind is blowing left to right or right to left. It is a nightmare!
    Last year in the Players Championship 70 balls found a watery grave at the 17th. If you recall, Fred Couples dunked one a few years back then holed out his 3rd shot for a routine par. He has also aced that hole.
    I love that hole, during the final round if the leader comes to it with a one stroke lead you can just about see him shaking in his shoes.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    I came the closest I've ever come to an ace at 4 at Mont Pellier (2 inches) SW from the blues, I think it's bout 120 yards, it took me 5 minutes to pick what tree to aim at because it's a blind tee shot. It was a dissapointing birdie!
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Played this week in Myrtle and played a bunch of island green par 3s.. Oyster Bay, Rivers Edge, Kings North, Panthers Run, Tigers Eye.. all had island par 3s..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Two things I'll never forget about the Players is that par by Freddie, and that unbelievable putt by Tiger... "Better then most.... BETTER THEN MOST..."

I will golf that course one day. It was supposed to be my 30th birthday shindig, I guess now it'll be my 40th.

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    What is great is that there is a live webcast for that hole, I will be tuning in that is for sure. I am pretty sure it is on www.pgatour.com and then choose live@17
    Here is the direct link of 17: http://www.pgatour.com/multimedia/liveat/liveat17
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

I love this tournament every year because I can sit and watch live at 17 all day at work!!!

Lucky for me I'm at home on medical leave, so I can watch the coverage on Thursday and Friday!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by fundonny
    Lucky for me I'm at home on medical leave, so I can watch the coverage on Thursday and Friday!!!!!

VERY JEALOUS!!

Thread Information