CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Why can't you use range balls on a course?

Is there a specific rule that says you cant? or is it more of a course rule? If its a course rule then what is the purpose of it?

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    The question should be "Why would you WANT to?"
    why would you want to hit a ball that may have been hit hundreds of times before and left out in the elements for months before the driving range actually buys new balls?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

"Richard"
    I am not planning to but its something I've heard and was cusrious why

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You may be able to use range balls on the course. It really depends on the range that you frequent. If the range balls are found on the complies with Appendix II of the Rules and, if applicable, is on the approved list of balls, then you're home free. The following rule will be of interest to you:
    5-1. General
    The ball the player uses must conform to requirements specified in Appendix III.

Note: The Committee may require, in the conditions of a competition (Rule 33-1), that the ball the player plays must be named on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls recognized by the Royal Canadian Golf Association

Here is a link to the Approved List of Balls for the USGA: http://www.usga.org/equipment/confor...gball_list.pdf

I have not checked the RCGA site, but I suspect that the lists may be comparable.

"Richard"
    so when people way "don't use that range ball" they really don't know what they are talking about? ints not like a marshal comes running over if you use an illegal driver, range finder when they weren't allowed, dont' play by the rules. Is there any truth to the statement that courses don't want you using range balls on their course?

Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    so when people way "don't use that range ball" they really don't know what they are talking about? ints not like a marshal comes running over if you use an illegal driver, range finder when they weren't allowed, dont' play by the rules. Is there any truth to the statement that courses don't want you using range balls on their course?
    They don't want you using them, because most people who use them probably stole them. How else would you acquire them? The clobs are reasonably protecting their financial and proprietary interests. Besides, as Steve said, why would you want to use them?

"Richard"
    who knows why other people use them, I like the balls I use. So, the reason they say you can't use them is because they want people to have no use for them if they steal them? That makes sense. We have a friend who steals them (grabs a few after each bucket and puts them in his bag) and uses them on water holes.... cheap ass

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    Range balls are e.. Crappy quality and beat to death.
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I dont see why you couldnt use them if you wanted to?
    No advantage to your game if you ask me.
    Kind of like smoking dope in the olympics.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    We have a friend who steals them (grabs a few after each bucket and puts them in his bag) and uses them on water holes.... cheap ass
    I have never understood this. Playing a crappy ball on a water hole, firstly by doing this you have already told yourself that you will fail, but it doesn't matter because it's just a range ball. Secondly, if you do successfully clear the water hazzard, you HAVE to use that ball until it is either deemed lost or holed out on that hole. Range balls are so crappy that he/she is putting himself/herself at a huge disadvantage. Some rangeballs are limited flight too, I hate that.

On a water hole when some of my friends are scrambling for the most beat up balls in their bags, I actually pull a new, or a nearly new ball out of my bag, showing that I am fully confident that with a nice confident swing I will clear the water easily. More often than not my ball will be dry, while the others will be wet.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    ... Secondly, if you do successfully clear the water hazzard, you HAVE to use that ball until it is either deemed lost or holed out on that hole. ...
    Do you really think that the yahoos that use "hot" range balls are going to worry about finishing out the hole with those balls if they've actually clear the hazzards that were making them nervous? Not a chance. More to the point, if you're playing with any such person, keep a close eye on your golf balls lest they become part of their ignominious inventory.

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Do you really think that the yahoos that use "hot" range balls are going to worry about finishing out the hole with those balls if they've actually clear the hazzards that were making them nervous? Not a chance. More to the point, if you're playing with any such person, keep a close eye on your golf balls lest they become part of their ignominious inventory.
    I see what you mean, pond ball to get over the hazzard, distance ball to infront of the green, spin ball for short approach and extra lucky putting rock for the putt. Ugh. Not sure which is worst, that, or those that chop and hack their way to the green, skull it over the green a few times, 3 putt and then say.."put me down for a 6". Hmmmmm.

Quote Originally Posted by Hank Hill
    I see what you mean, pond ball to get over the hazzard, distance ball to infront of the green, spin ball for short approach and extra lucky putting rock for the putt. Ugh. Not sure which is worst, that, or those that chop and hack their way to the green, skull it over the green a few times, 3 putt and then say.."put me down for a 6". Hmmmmm.
    I've played with a few of those boys. I call them the "Mathematically Challenged." Actually, I call them quite a few other names, but Dan wouldn't appreciate it if I used such language on his site. My rule of thumb is never, ever, play them for money. The cheating will drive you crazy, you won't have a good time, and - in the end - they'll never pay their debts. The better strategy is to kick their butts in a real tournament when they are expected to play by the rules and others are watching them. So much fun.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    The only time I use a range ball is for the 10th hole at Falcon Ridge - if I remember to pick one up out of the left rough on the 1st hole.

If I don't have a range ball, I usually mark X on the scorecard and keep walking. No use ruining a perfectly nice day on the golf course with one stupid hole.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Well here's a point of view from someone with financial interests in a "driving range". Last year, we lost approx 3000 balls. We had just purchased new Top-Flite "Practice" balls. Sure some are gone beyond our boundaries, others are somewhere in the grass/grounds and our picker never got them. But people have told me straight up to my face that they've bought 2 buckets, just to put one in their car. They're allowed, they paid their 6/8/10$, whatever the case might be. So that not only affects our direct revenues but our indirect as well as money is directly reinvested in the facilities or paying the Pro.

Now we received an great offer to get brand new Callaway "Practice" balls. They're HXs but we can't afford such losses. It's too bad. So yes, I get mad when I see people using range balls. And no I don't steal any when I go to ranges that have Pro-Vs "Practice" balls. I'll take some pics of the piles when I volunteer at the CN Women's Canadian Open.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    The only time I use a range ball is for the 10th hole at Falcon Ridge - if I remember to pick one up out of the left rough on the 1st hole.

If I don't have a range ball, I usually mark X on the scorecard and keep walking. No use ruining a perfectly nice day on the golf course with one stupid hole.
    I have to admit that, like you, I find number 10 to be the silliest, most frustrating hole that I have ever played. But that's a matter for another thrread....

Quote Originally Posted by nice_lag
    But people have told me straight up to my face that they've bought 2 buckets, just to put one in their car. They're allowed, they paid their 6/8/10$, whatever the case might be.
    Wow! That is terrible, do they rent two sets of clubs at the proshop as well so that they can steal one set? Because that's what range balls are, just a rental.

Some people eh?

Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    I have to admit that, like you, I find number 10 to be the silliest, most frustrating hole that I have ever played. But that's a matter for another thrread....
    Now i'm intrigued, what's up with #10? Start that thread El Tigre!

EDIT: I did a search and got my answer, sounds like a crazy hole.
    Last edited by Hank Hill; 03-19-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Medalist faldo is on a distinguished road faldo's Avatar
    I thought that all/most of the available RANGE BALLS had been treated as a very low-compression so that you could not hit them of the end of the ranges?? Why use a ball that will only go 75% as far as the decent ones in your bag??

Some people!!

Quote Originally Posted by faldo
    I thought that all/most of the available RANGE BALLS had been treated as a very low-compression so that you could not hit them of the end of the ranges?? Why use a ball that will only go 75% as far as the decent ones in your bag??

Some people!!
    Definately true of some of the ranges I go to, I am quite a bit shorter at the range than on the course. This is pretty annoying since if someone would like to know more accurately what their yardages with each club are, the range is the best place to work them out.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    I play with a guy who used to pull his old range ball out of the bag on a water hole par 3.
    I used to kid him that someday he would get a hole in one on that hole, and have to mount that old beat up range ball in the trophy Well he actually did ACE that hole, but he was not using a range ball

I also told him, and this was mentioned above. "If you use that ranger you are admitting to yourself that you're going to fail on this hole. You have no investment with a range ball, so you will not try to hit that quality shot" He quit using them after that.

If you can afford to buy balls then you should not be playing the game!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    AT LEAST BUY A BOX OF XL3000 OR SOMETHING
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

"Richard"
    I hate driving ranges for that same reason! If I hit my driver 270 on a course this year but cant even get past 220 at the range how am I supposed to know what my yardage is? When I'm at haime and I'm chipping I take my own balls with me, I don't use the yellow ones. I pay for them, take them with me but never use them. I've noticed the balls are more "dead" at the 19th tee than anywhere else I've ever played

Thread Information