100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar

Angry This is getting stupid...

http://www.scottycameron.com/article...ils.asp?id=101

It's a freakin putter. And the guy's not even going to use it!
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    He likens it to a Picasso.

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Scotty Cameron headcovers sell on ebay for more than my entire club set costs.

Best part of the interview:

Did you have to run this purchase by a significant other, and if so, how did that conversation go?<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" /><o:p></o:p>
    <o:p></o:p>
    My wife has no idea I own this putter, nor is she aware of the price. I trust that my fellow collectors will keep this information in strict confidence.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Guy ownes 40 putters!
    90 at one point!
    Must be nice to have money
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    This is why I have never, and will never own a Cameron product. There are many equal, and argueably some better products out there that sell for a fraction of the cost. The whole thing smacks of the eliteism that were trying to eliminate from golf.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Oh well,people have spent more that 35.000 on dumber things than putters im sure.
    What would be really funny is; suddenly the Scotty craze is over,and his collection of putters is worthless!
    Remember the Rubiks cube craze? Couldnt find one anywhere,then all of a sudden nobody wanted them.

Wasnt there a time when the Ping putters were in high demand like that?

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The Anser is yes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    $35k to drop on a putter without the wife knowing? They definately have more money than they need. All a smart person needs to figure out is what to sell these people next. Honma clubs, Scotty putters.

Hmmm, proV5s for $12,000 a dozen sounds about right.

I bet you if Titleist released limited edition prov's,people would pay three times as much for them.

Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    I bet you if Titleist released limited edition prov's,people would pay three times as much for them.
    The way most guys lose them, they're already "limited edition".

I cant argue with that!

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I can see spending 35K ... why not if you've got the $$ to burn and it makes you happy. This guy is clearly rolling in the $$ and he enjoys collecting these putters.

Collectibles' values are driven by their market, so saying he's crazy is like saying someone that pays 35K for a painting is crazy... alot of people think buying a 30K car is crazy....let alone a 100K or 200K car.... everyone has their values in mind.

Him paying this is like me paying 500$ for something I really want...it's all relative

More power to him for enjoying his money
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

You can fart in a bottle,and someone on e-bay will buy it.

More power to him for enjoying his money <!-- / message --><!-- sig -->
    Absolutely. It is pretty astounding that someone would spend that on a putter though.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I'd rather spend it on a putter than on a collectible china figurine.

Whatever floats your boat.

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

$35,000 More money then brains?

Definately Scotty Cameron makes good putter designs, but are they worth $35,000?

They are made from the same investment cast steel or forged heads with chromed steel shafts and a grip as other custom designed and very well made putters.

Oh.... also a leather head cover..

This is what is wrong with the world we have men and women putting their life on the line for less then $35,000 us a year.

Maybe society needs to pay more attention to peoples who are homeless and starving then some rich somebody artificially driving up the cost of these toys.

It's only the performance of the putter to a certain degree. It more the performance of the human being both on and off the golf course!

Just my thoughts ..and I sell these toys!

Stever
    Last edited by Slammin' Stever; 03-17-2006 at 05:37 PM.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    It's not the quality of the putter, it's the fact that it's one of 5 (assumed only 4 remaining) ever made ... you can't evaluate it based on it's materials in the same way that you can't value paintings on the cost of the paint used to make them.

People seem to be missing the point when it comes to the expensive putters... people aren't playing with them, they are putting them on racks, hanging them on the wall etc... it's their hobby, it's their 'art'.

I am just very surprised to see people up in arms about this, but everyone has vices, and everyone would spend their money on things others think are foolish if they were rich. Cars, Boats, Houses, Sculputres, Paintings etc etc etc the list goes on ...
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by mcnorth
    The Anser is yes.
    LOL

Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    It's not the quality of the putter, it's the fact that it's one of 5 (assumed only 4 remaining) ever made ... you can't evaluate it based on it's materials in the same way that you can't value paintings on the cost of the paint used to make them.

People seem to be missing the point when it comes to the expensive putters... people aren't playing with them, they are putting them on racks, hanging them on the wall etc... it's their hobby, it's their 'art'.

I am just very surprised to see people up in arms about this, but everyone has vices, and everyone would spend their money on things others think are foolish if they were rich. Cars, Boats, Houses, Sculputres, Paintings etc etc etc the list goes on ...
    Because it artificially raises the prices of comparable products of similar quality that are mass produced.

Why should someone have to pay 3, 4 or even $500 for a putter? What makes his putters better than someone elses? And don't spout that technical BS, or that they're made from some exotic material. Carbon steel and aircraft grade aluminum is about 10 cents a pound. That's just the marketing hype because the industry treats him like some type of god, and people like you buy into it.

"Richard"
    I think its safe to say that most of us spend more money on golf than we can afford or atleast more than we should.

My set is worth a lot, downgraded a few clubs to free up some cash but its still worth over $2500. I spend $2500 on green fees last year. $3000 on a golf trip the year before if you count the money I lost by taking time of work. So in the last year and a half because of golf there is $8000 less in my pocket than there would have been had I not played golf and saved the money. Is $8000 a lot for me? hell yeah! I have student loans. Most of my friends are the same, they spend way more on golf than they can afford to do. I know I've never said no to a round because of money, thats why god invented credit cards. So if a guy who can afford to buy a $35,000 putter to put on display in his office... let him

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Because it artificially raises the prices of comparable products of similar quality that are mass produced.

Why should someone have to pay 3, 4 or even $500 for a putter? What makes his putters better than someone elses? And don't spout that technical BS, or that they're made from some exotic material. Carbon steel and aircraft grade aluminum is about 10 cents a pound. That's just the marketing hype because the industry treats him like some type of god, and people like you buy into it.
    A collectible piece does nothing to the value of a stock Cameron putter at GT. Does the fact that a Shelby Mustang from the 60s goes for $500,000 affect the price of a 2006 Mustang? No.

Nobody *HAS* to pay $3, $500 or $35,000 for a putter or anything else. Buy it or don't buy it, what do you care if someone else does?

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Oh well,people have spent more that 35.000 on dumber things than putters im sure.
    What would be really funny is; suddenly the Scotty craze is over,and his collection of putters is worthless!
    it's more likely to go the other way. rich people tend to collect things that go up in value.

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

$35,000 for a putter that nobody can use?

Like I said..the putter is just a toy.....period.....like hockey, baseball, football and golf basically are games invented by people. So the instruments used to play the games are basically toys.

Games and toys invented for children but exploited for the most part by adults. Adults who want their ego's stroked, their image exaulted and their personal fortunes to exceed over others.

If someone wants to be materialistic and in their own mind wants to justify paying that sort of a foolish price for a putter then it's their decision. Whether it is right or wrong that's human nature.

When people all over the world are suffering and most do not have "a pot to piss in" then one can make choices to better himself or others. It's called charity or greed.

Most people pick "greed" and they justify ones actions by comparing their decisions with other materialistic things around them.

There are plenty copies of "Wall of Fire" paintings around.. but they are not worth a million dollars.

Ask how many sound people would spend one one tenth of that amount on three lines painted on a canvas.

Most would say "your crazy!"

Ask anyone outside the tightly wound structure of the elite in the golf industry and most would say the same thing about this purchase also.

Stever

Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS

Last edited by Slammin' Stever; 03-17-2006 at 08:37 PM.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    My house cost just a bit more than putter did, when I bought it in 1984
    Guys like that buyer do not worry about money, he likely makes a Mil a year, or more. So no need to worry about cash flow for him.
    Let's face the facts boyzzzzzzz, if we all made $500,000-1,000,000 a year we would be doing the same thing. Dropping cash on toys. Have you ever watched the Barrett-Jackson Auto Auction? Guys are dropping wads of cash on cars they might not even drive. It is amazing what some of those cars sell for. It's all about collecting.
    When you die, you are judged by the amount of toys you own.
    Maybe that guy who bought that putter needs to visit FGO and go in "THE SHED" Nahh, he could likely buy FGO's entire stock!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    wow...what an idiot....a rich idiot, but an idiot.

I love the fact that one of the reasons that he bought it was that it had a real emotional, family tie to Scotty Cameron because of that pregnancy thing. He respects the family/emotional aspect of the putter, but doesn't have enough respect for his own wife to tell her anything about it...more respect for a putter than his wife. What a dolt.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    wow...what an idiot....a rich idiot, but an idiot.

I love the fact that one of the reasons that he bought it was that it had a real emotional, family tie to Scotty Cameron because of that pregnancy thing. He respects the family/emotional aspect of the putter, but doesn't have enough respect for his own wife to tell her anything about it...more respect for a putter than his wife. What a dolt.

Scotty cameron got his wife pregnant?? I would have bought the putter and beat scotty to death with it!

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    You guys are over-complicating this. Look at the picture of this man. He's lonely, he has no life, he has more money than he can spend and he'll do anything to get his mug into the news. What better way to do this than to spend $35K on a putter!!!! As I said some time back to Nat: "What's the good of a putter that you can't toss around once in a while?" Nothing, that's what. Unless, of course, it's easier to get a putter than it is to get a partner. Forget it, you guys. Hiring or buying a partner doesn't count. Someone tell this guy that for $30K, I'll sell him my clubs including a Ping Anser as well as the car in which they are presently stored.

Thread Information