100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Shaft comparisons

Anyone have some good links for comparing shafts and their bend profiles? None of the companies seem to describe their shafts in the same terms so making a comparison (without blowing a couple hundred $$) is difficult.

I seem to remember a spreadsheet floating around out there with a bunch of info on it but can't recall where I saw it.

Cheers.

GarthM

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Garth, pm BCMIST. He did a profile of a few shafts. I don't recall which ones but its a start.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by GarthM
    Anyone have some good links for comparing shafts and their bend profiles? None of the companies seem to describe their shafts in the same terms so making a comparison (without blowing a couple hundred $$) is difficult.
    I seem to remember a spreadsheet floating around out there with a bunch of info on it but can't recall where I saw it.GarthM
    I profiled a number of shafts using my FA but I used a 650 g weight. Tom Wishon has some shaft profiling software where he used a 454 g weight.

It is possible that I have some numbers that may be useful to you, so if you would like to post the names of the shafts you wish to compare, I will see if I can help you. If you do, include the flex designation.

It is ironic that you ask this as I have realized that hit my 3+ wood exceptionally well, so I disassembled the club his afternoon to profile the Fujikura shaft, hoping to find another with the same profile to install in a new driver head. I discovered that it profiles very soft overall, more in the senior flex range. How ego busting is that? Of course, I am a senior. Duh!!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Garth. Too bad you don't have the 06 dynacraft catalogue. BC can help you but unless he has a connection he simply can't profile all the shafts. Anyway the dynacraft catalogue is awesome as they give you the following specs: club length,cut weight,butt frequency,butt deflection,tip deflection,cut torque, launch angle and dsfi range. You can download it from their web site. I don't know their profiling method but it is a start and it's free.
    http://www.dynacraftgolf.com/Dynacraft/wholesale
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Also forgot to mention that SG distributing out of Kingston is now Canada's dynacraft distributor.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Shafts

BC:

Based on the Wishon Method I am roughly a 2-2-3 with the swing speed around 100, so I am looking for something in the Mid-Soft/Mid-Soft butt/tip range. I am not necessarily looking at any brand of shaft in particular, just trying to find something appropriate. My current driver has a YS6 70g stiff in it at 45" in a Titleist 983 10.5 deg. I would guage my overall effectiveness with this setup as slightly above average. Not my best club in the bag and most often I can hit my 3-wood just as far or further (Big Bertha Steelhead w/ iRod fway shaft) and more accuarately. If I pay attention I can ususally get it out there 240-260 without too much trouble. (with the driver)

Any suggestions? I'm actually looking for a shaft for a Wishon 915CFE 9 degree.

Thanks!

G.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I profiled a number of shafts using my FA but I used a 650 g weight. Tom Wishon has some shaft profiling software where he used a 454 g weight.

It is possible that I have some numbers that may be useful to you, so if you would like to post the names of the shafts you wish to compare, I will see if I can help you. If you do, include the flex designation.

It is ironic that you ask this as I have realized that hit my 3+ wood exceptionally well, so I disassembled the club his afternoon to profile the Fujikura shaft, hoping to find another with the same profile to install in a new driver head. I discovered that it profiles very soft overall, more in the senior flex range. How ego busting is that? Of course, I am a senior. Duh!!!

Dynacraft

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Also forgot to mention that SG distributing out of Kingston is now Canada's dynacraft distributor.
    Thanks. I will take a look at the catalog!
    G

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    BC:

Based on the Wishon Method I am roughly a 2-2-3 with the swing speed around 100, so I am looking for something in the Mid-Soft/Mid-Soft butt/tip range. I am not necessarily looking at any brand of shaft in particular, just trying to find something appropriate. My current driver has a YS6 70g stiff in it at 45" in a Titleist 983 10.5 deg. I would guage my overall effectiveness with this setup as slightly above average. Not my best club in the bag and most often I can hit my 3-wood just as far or further (Big Bertha Steelhead w/ iRod fway shaft) and more accuarately. If I pay attention I can ususally get it out there 240-260 without too much trouble. (with the driver)

Any suggestions? I'm actually looking for a shaft for a Wishon 915CFE 9 degree.

Thanks!

G.
    Just as a starting point the following shafts have a frequency profile within 3% of the Graphite Design YS6 S that you now have.
    Aldila NVS 65 S
    Harrisson Striper RT R-F
    TT Bimatrix RX1 Driver S
    UST Low Carb S
    UST Proforce 65 R
    Apache MPS 65 R
    RP Saber 3.1 Graphite 75 R

The one that is within a 1% match is the NVS 65 S.

Does this help?

That is a great start! Thanks again

G.

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Just as a starting point the following shafts have a frequency profile within 3% of the Graphite Design YS6 S that you now have.
    Aldila NVS 65 S
    Harrisson Striper RT R-F
    TT Bimatrix RX1 Driver S
    UST Low Carb S
    UST Proforce 65 R
    Apache MPS 65 R
    RP Saber 3.1 Graphite 75 R

The one that is within a 1% match is the NVS 65 S.

Does this help?

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar

GarthM
    There are a couple of catalogues available, the most common is Golfworks and I often refer to the Diamond Tour. Their codings are consistent in terms of flex, bend point and tip. The one by Golfwork has a neat little index using that groups shafts of all makes in a logical order. If you know what you are looking for, it is a good start.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thread Information