100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

If a pro played a local course in ottawa...

What is the lowest you think a pro could shoot at the canadian from the second tees (the ones I play). 4 par fives all under 500 yards... I might sound retaded saying this but I honestly thing a long hitting pro could eagle pretty much all 4 holes... long drive, short wedge shot to the green but to eagle all 4 would be like birding 4 straight 480 yard par 4's on tour but then again those greens are faster, harder to read and gaurded more. I'll say 54 or 55????

edit - I guess I should have posted this in the ottawa section? waiting for the dreaded email from dan "your thread has been moved"

Andru
    Ahh I'm not sure about 54. That would be an incredible putting day. Even a pro can't get it close enough from 300 yards to make eagles all the time. Birdies yes.

"Richard"
    I'm just thinking if the best score on a 7000+ yard course is 59 and anika shoot a 59 on a course longer than the canadian from the second tees... someone must be able to shave atleast 5 strokes off.

If a par 5 is 480 yards, 300 yard drive only leaves 180 which is like a 7 iron for some of these guys. Possible...? probable...? Who knows, not me, thats for sure

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    a pro could definitely go low at the canadian...really low. Ever hole is a legitimate birdie opportunity. I don't know about a 54, because, as Andru said, it would require incredible putting (only 4 par 5s, only one driveable par 4 (the 6th). Even going from the back tees they would go pretty low. I've played the Canadian a lot, and love the layout, but its not long - I've reached every par 5 in 2 on at least one occasion (from the second tees). Like you said, they could easily eagle all 4 holes at any point in time, but eagling them all in one day is quite another thing. I think it's the kind of course a pro could definitely carve up, but to shoot a 55, you have to play perfect all day - you've got to figure in a bad drive or two and other such things, and the Canadian is a course where you have to put your drives in the fairway (at least in my experience).

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    What is the lowest you think a pro could shoot at the canadian from the second tees (the ones I play).
    What kind of pro are you talking about? A local, Ottawa pro? If yes, then why not put the 5 best local amateurs in the mix and you might get a low round.

A PGA Tour pro? Obviously the score would be a lot lower, however, the Tour pro may be frustrated unless the greens are 12 on the stimp and perfectly smooth.

Keep in mind too, that the 59's you are referring to are scores of pros at their absolute best and luckiest. Are you as good as your absolute best? If I was I would be on the Senior Tour, but alas, I play at Greensmere.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    You also have to remember that the pros paly on PGA courses that have greens that are 6000 sq ft. Try finding those size greens here in Ottawa.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    I think that BC had right in saying the greens here would drive the pros crazy! These guys are use to playing perfect conditions and having people lining the fairways to find the ball. If you put a pro on a normal course with no one around to help look for their ball, with the greens around 8, with all the ball marks that people don't repair, I think you would see a different game from the pro. He will still shoot low but not as low as you may think.

Caddy beefstuf is on a distinguished road beefstuf's Avatar
    I do agree that the pros will be frustrated with the conditions, but at some point in their lives they did play conditions like this. I am sure they would be able to find their own ball. They are professionaly athletes and could adjust and componsate to any conditions. I think that once they putt on a couple of holes they will understand what they are working with and play really well.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beefstuf
    I do agree that the pros will be frustrated with the conditions, but at some point in their lives they did play conditions like this. I am sure they would be able to find their own ball. They are professionaly athletes and could adjust and componsate to any conditions. I think that once they putt on a couple of holes they will understand what they are working with and play really well.
    Well said.
    I don't think a PGA pro shooting in the 50's on the Canadian is hard to believe, especially if they were to play it 4 days in a row.

Par stinger is on a distinguished road
    I think low 60s would be realisitic, but the conditions in Ottawa at public courses would probably not give a 59 on the first day of play... I would see 4 to 6 under on the front fairly easily and 4 to 6 under on the back (and that is assuming the pro will be having a good putting day) for a total of 8 to 12 under... sooo 64 to 60. Throw in an eagle and their you have your sub 60 round. You still have to remember it is all about putting at this stage of the game!

Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar
    They would still have to put well, I'd say lower 60's
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    They would still have to put well, I'd say lower 60's
    Me too!

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I would say somewhere around 60.
    Watching bay hill yesterday I kept seeing pro's with 100 yards, 70, 60 in.
    Messing up, putting on wrong side of green, in bunkers etc.
    They are not perfect, so even if driving long, the bad thing would be super short shots involving alot of touch.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I think the hard pan shots from greenside 'rough' would have them swearing
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

emeraldlinksfan
    They would get so frustrated with most of our greens. The bumps, the shaggy surfaces, the ball marks etc. The normal 10ft birdie putts for them would be an adventure. Our fairways are a lot tougher to hit from and the cement-like bunkers we have might be a test.

Even still, I am sure they would be low 60's. Probably not the first time around, but definitely after they knew the course.

"Richard"
    doesn't slope and rating take into account these things? I mean, the slope it 118 and the rating is 66.8 so if a SCRATCH golfer played the canadian from the orange he would shoot a 66.8 on average.

Doral for example
    • Course Rating: 72.2
    • Slope Rating: 125
    so the scratch golfer would shoot around 72.2 (that doesn't seem right, I couldn't see a scratch golfer shooting par at doral but lets go with the numbers).

ames has a course record of 61 on that course.... which is 11.2 strokes less than the rating off the course... if he or anyone could do that at the candian he would be at 55.6

I know they are just numbers but I really think they are accurate enough to hit the smaller greens we have, they are much longer and on such a short course they would be using a wedge on almost every hole for the second shot which would negate the small greens since these guys are so accurate. The greens they put on are much harder than the stuff we put on. They are faster, lots of right to left and left to right action going on..

ames has a course record of 61 on that course.... which is 11.2 strokes less than the rating off the course... if he or anyone could do that at the candian he would be at 55.6
    Gotta look at is as a % ... although in this case it's pretty close to being the same number (comes out to 56.4)

problem is that the lower you go the harder it is to remove strokes...so in addition to looking at it as a %, you also need a sliding scale as you get lower and lower

(ex. I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for a pro to score 36 on an 18 hole course on 50 to 100 yard holes.... now let's take off a stroke trying to set a 35 is not the same as taking off a stroke when @ 37)

I would say for a course record (as you've said the 61 is) 56 COULD happen, especially with the full field coming through and playing 4 days... but w/ a single pro giving it a go I would say 59 would be damn impressive...and 60-63 being more reasonable.

"Richard"
    Anyone know what the course record is at canadian? BC mist what about at your course? Garry (hill), how about medows??

Gap Wedge GolfOttawa is on a distinguished road
    Local tour pros have played the area?
    Jack Nicklas Ottawa Hunt Club 65 from the tips, I believe that there is a sign at the club.
    John Daly -4 or -5 under after 15 holes (Manderley)apparently he could not finish the round?
    Tiger Woods at Magma Toronto apparently drove multiple par 4's not sure about the score?
    Did anyone remember theese rounds happening, the only one that I know happened for sure is Tiger at Magma, and I am pretty sure Jack was at the Hunt. Daly heard about second hand.

"Richard"
    I'm sure many PGA tour pros have played many courses around the world that are well under 7200 yards and I'm sure they do really well but my question was more like "to top pros played that couse for 4 straight days... how low could they go?" If duval can go 59 on a pga tour course I'm sure someone would have to go under 59 at the canadian from the second tees...

Did anyone remember theese rounds happening, the only one that I know happened for sure is Tiger at Magma, and I am pretty sure Jack was at the Hunt. Daly heard about second hand.
    Daly did play 15 holes @ Manderley ... Apparently he had to catch a plane and ducked out early...

My 2nd hand info about the event (that I can easily believe): He got incredibly drunk during the round ... so if he was under par then that's pretty impressive

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by NWILLIAMS
    Daly did play 15 holes @ Manderley ... Apparently he had to catch a plane and ducked out early...

My 2nd hand info about the event (that I can easily believe): He got incredibly drunk during the round ... so if he was under par then that's pretty impressive
    Daly on South 5 at Manderley put it just short of the green with his drive.

I heard this 2nd (possibly 3rd) hand from a long time Manderley member.
    Back at it.

Thread Information