CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    emeraldlinksfan

How good are you guys?

I read so much on this site about changing clubs, re-shafting, new grips, and all that stuff.

I am amazed at how much some of you know about tehcnology, club specs, flexes, lofts etc.

How much does all this affect your scores? You guys must be very good golfers having all this knowledge.

I must admit that I change clubs every year. I do just cause its fun. I try new brands every year and buy right off the rack. I don't change shafts or bend clubs or any of that stuff. I might change grips, but that's it.

My scores never really change. The only thing that helps my score is playing. I could play with a set that I have from 5 years ago and not play any better or worse.

I am wondering, how big a difference would I see? What am I missing?

Thanks

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    basically, you are missing personal fitting. If you go somewhere and get all of your clubs fit to you and your swing, you can knock off a couple of shots without doing anything else. Go to artisan golf, or somewhere else in town and get fit to your clubs and you will see a drastic difference in your performance.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by emeraldlinksfan
    I must admit that I change clubs every year. I do just cause its fun.
    I change clubs pretty much every shot - usually because I am a bit closer to the green.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    You guys must be very good golfers having all this knowledge.
    I'll answer this one: We all think we're better than what we are!

Just kidding guys, I know BCMIST is a good as he thinks he is.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    I personally don't think that unless your golf clubs are more than 5 years old you are going to benefit anymore (and in future). They are about as forgiving as can be, and size wise, as big as allowed.
    You are therefore left with fitting and lessons.
    Fitting will help a bit with loft, lie angle, length etc. Probably won't completely change your game, but will help.
    Lessons is more important.
    I have shot from best of low 80's to a 100 over 20 yrs. Beginning last season I was mostly 85-95. After a grip/stance lesson at callaway, I shot consistently in low 80's, finally breaking 80 four times (79,79,78,77).

We all love to try new stuff, experiment with frequency this, and re-shaft that. But it is not significantly going to help.
    Lessons. Lessons. Lessons.
    You don't 'buy' a game, you 'learn' a game.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar

Thanks
    It makes no difference. It is a disease. It's called Clubhoitis.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Having the right shafts, grips and clubs fitted for your swing can certainly make a difference and I adjust all my clubs to the specs I am comfortable with.
    That said, I agree with the comments above about Clubhoitis.... most of the time the sole reason I buy new clubs, particularly irons, is because they're shiny and pretty .
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    We all love to try new stuff, experiment with frequency this, and re-shaft that. But it is not significantly going to help.
    Lessons. Lessons. Lessons.
    I have the feeling that buying lessons sounds like buying the software over the hardware. It took me a while to realize that, unless you have sound swing and decent course management, you cannot break 100 and much less 90.
    Unfortunately, they are not available from the Big Box golf store... unless you buy lessons from their pros.
    My best lesson was when the pro made me realize that you pay $400 for a driver that you use 13 times in a game while you are using the $25 putter close to twice that often and your wedge as often as your putter. So I got myself a collection of putters and some short game lessons to figure out the difference between the pitching and the lob wedge. I did drop below 100 thereafter.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Thanks
    Besides club fitting, the biggest technological improvement for me (I'll probably get beaten down for this) is with the new drivers. Getting off the tee has been the weakest part of my game until switching to a 454 cc driver - this has made a BIG differnce for me.
    Having said that, if you're going to cut stokes off your game you're most likely to do it by improving your short game.

7 Wood East Coast Golf is on a distinguished road
    Changing gear every year is nice if you have the money. I think if you play 70+ rounds then changing ever 2-3 years is good due to the wear on the face of your irons.

Get fitted, hit it straighter. practice short game. Strokes will drop.

Thread Information