CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Shagging Balls Dunny is on a distinguished road Dunny's Avatar

How is duty calculated

I know a lot of us are in the same position as internet club buyers and I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a consistant calculation for duty charged from the states.

I've bought things for $300 and been charged $20 duty, and things for $40 with $25 duty.

I think duty is a license to steal, maybe someone knows how it works?
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Rates are different for clubs, apparel, manufactured gadgets and printed material...Unless it is manufactured in US or Mexico.... and in some cases in Chili. You may have to check the CCRA site for actual rates.
    In all cases, the GST will be applied over the duties.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Thank you, and I guess the most expensive thing on that list seems to be brokerage fees which is the carriers costs I think.

See the UPS gouged me stream in this forum for variations around the theme. It appears tha UPS has a history of heavy charges, while the Postal service is the best deal. Personally I use FedEx a lot, and do not seem to have as bad aftertaste than the one UPS left behind.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Duty doesn't change. At the boarder you will be charged GST (7%) + PST (8%) + Duty (7% if the item doesn't fall under the Free trade agreement). You can always expect to pay 22% more and if you get in under that then it's a bonus! Now brokerage fees, that's where they screw you!

I hate brokerage fees, but it seems that the best deals on ebay come from sellers that use UPS

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dunny
    I know a lot of us are in the same position as internet club buyers and I was wondering if anybody knows if there's a consistant calculation for duty charged from the states.

I've bought things for $300 and been charged $20 duty, and things for $40 with $25 duty.

I think duty is a license to steal, maybe someone knows how it works?
    We could tell you, but we'd have to kill you...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Most will ship US Postal Service or FedEx if you ask. It may just take a day or two more. If you are not in ahurry, you will probably save $25.00 or more.

Not to mention the fact that UPS will just leave stuf at your door step! I have had a few things now just laying on my front step for anyone to take.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    There are all kinds of different rates depending on the tariff that is applicable. Anything manufactured in North America falls under the NAFTA tariff. Other countries have different tariffs, the same as goods have all kinds of tariffs. Clothing is quite high, 25% under some tariffs. Also, there might be other taxes applicable. Air conditioner, excise duties and taxes all may apply on some goods.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    USPS has been really, really slow for me but cheap. Haven't been burned too bad by UPS but their always does seem to be a little more extra added-on at the end. Fedex has been the best as far as price and they've been way, way, way faster than the other two for me.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Duty doesn't change. At the boarder you will be charged GST (7%) + PST (8%) + Duty (7% if the item doesn't fall under the Free trade agreement). You can always expect to pay 22% more and if you get in under that then it's a bonus!
    That is actually incorrect. Duty is not necessarily 7% for goods that don't fall under NAFTA.
    It depends what the country of origin is and what the item is. In addition to NAFTA, there are MFN - most favoured nations that get a break on duty, and also developing countries that have no duty applied to their imports.
    As Colby pointed out, the duty on textiles is severe because our governement is trying to protect our dying textile industry. If you buy clothes online - shop Canadian!

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Here's a trick I just used to get around paying duty. I had been thinking of building some new clubs and was going to order some stuff from Wishon in Colorado. I was also planning a trip to Florida so I had the stuff shipped from Wishon to the hotel I was staying at. Then I just took the components across the border with me and was able to get them in duty-free since I was way under the $750 limit I got for being in the US for more than 7 days.

Of course, this is completely useless if you're NOT going to the US. However, I think in the future I'll likely be going down at least once a year with my family so I'll probably 'save up' purchases like this and try to pull the same trick every year.

MJF

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    That is actually incorrect. Duty is not necessarily 7% for goods that don't fall under NAFTA.
    It depends what the country of origin is and what the item is. In addition to NAFTA, there are MFN - most favoured nations that get a break on duty, and also developing countries that have no duty applied to their imports.
    As Colby pointed out, the duty on textiles is severe because our governement is trying to protect our dying textile industry. If you buy clothes online - shop Canadian!
    It's just a guide line since most people on here probably don't give a about shipping textiles. There are always exceptions to the rule and fine print.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Here's a trick I just used to get around paying duty. I had been thinking of building some new clubs and was going to order some stuff from Wishon in Colorado. I was also planning a trip to Florida so I had the stuff shipped from Wishon to the hotel I was staying at. Then I just took the components across the border with me and was able to get them in duty-free since I was way under the $750 limit I got for being in the US for more than 7 days.

Of course, this is completely useless if you're NOT going to the US. However, I think in the future I'll likely be going down at least once a year with my family so I'll probably 'save up' purchases like this and try to pull the same trick every year.

MJF
    I did this last fall with my scuba gear. I was coming back from a week in the Caribbean, and sitting in the airport in Miami, I contacted an online distributer and ordered some gear. I had it shipped to my buddy's place in Myrtle, where I was going to be three weeks later, and claimed the gear as goods to follow when I came through Toronto, which was legal because I had bought them while I was on my trip. When I was in Myrtle, I went to the Post Office and shipped the scuba gear to myself in Canada, as I was down less than 7 days in Myrtle, and I was using my 48 hour exemption for something else.

When the gear arrived in Canada, I filled out the paperwork, which included the dated invoice, my stamped exemption form, and the duty paid notice from the Canadian Post Office, and 3 weeks later I had my refund cheque
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    It's just a guide line since most people on here probably don't give a about shipping textiles. There are always exceptions to the rule and fine print.
    I'm not sure what you mean.

What is the guidline? Your post was :

Duty doesn't change. At the boarder you will be charged GST (7%) + PST (8%) + Duty (7% if the item doesn't fall under the Free trade agreement).

WRONG.

You advised non-NAFTA goods are charged 7% duty and that does not change.
    Duty does change, and as for the 7% figure - you must have pulled that out of thin air, it has nothing to do with exceptions to the rule, or fine print as you suggest.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I get annoyed being charged duty on something I'm buying used from a private citizen. To me its like a garage sale. Should be no tax, no duty. Would I get charged duty on a bag of clubs I left in Myrtle Beach? I shouldn't. I know this is not an accurate comparison.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Im sending a putter out to the states for re-finnishing.
    Will i get charged duty or taxes when it returns?
    Are there forms i can get to prevent this?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I'm not sure what you mean.

What is the guidline? Your post was :

WRONG.

You advised non-NAFTA goods are charged 7% duty and that does not change.
    Duty does change, and as for the 7% figure - you must have pulled that out of thin air, it has nothing to do with exceptions to the rule, or fine print as you suggest.

I got it from the Customs officer I was speaking to when I phone to find out if I was going to be hit with duty on a club I have coming. But what do they know.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Would I get charged duty on a bag of clubs I left in Myrtle Beach? I shouldn't. I know this is not an accurate comparison.
    No. There are provisions made for goods going over the order that are not being sold - ie. trade show stuff that is going over the border and coming back a week or two later.

Covanant - if duty is applicable there is no way to avoid it. In this case if all the documentation is in order you should not pay duty. Your club will cross the border for repairs at a certian value and I would assume return at the same value. This is different than purchasing a new putter.

I got it from the Customs officer I was speaking to when I phone to find out if I was going to be hit with duty on a club I have coming. But what do they know.
    That would be specifically for a golf club, and if it was made in the US, they would only charge you GST and PST.

In the old days, we never even charged PST...
    Colby

Competitor Golfer_Gofer is on a distinguished road Golfer_Gofer's Avatar
    I just baught a set of irons from an ebay store. What there scam is that they have a company name registered in canada (greatgolf.ca) and they ship stuff to that company with their own broker with ups and then send it to me from there and I dont have to pay taxes or duties... its all included in the price i paid... this is what i would suggest you try and look for when shopping on ebay atleast...
    Scott - Golf...Fail.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by covanant
    Im sending a putter out to the states for re-finnishing.
    Will i get charged duty or taxes when it returns?
    Are there forms i can get to prevent this?
    I wouldn't think so. I am sure there is some form you can fill out from Customs that shows you sent it out for repairs etc. I don't think it would be any different than when you go across the border and have a camera. clubs etc. You can fill in a form declaring what you have with you before you cross the border. However if there is no serial # they usually do not want you to write it on the list. At least that is the way it was last time I went over and had clubs in my trunk.
    Phone Canada Customs and ask them the proper procedure.

When it comes to duty on items you better know your what you are declaring. I remember buying a plastic fishing tackle box in Port Huron one day. When I came across the border I went into Customs to declare my purchases. They asked me about the tackle box, and I told them it was for fishing. Now fishing items had a lower duty, however they tried to say that case could be used for a sewing case! In that case, the duty was almost twice the rate because it was classed as plastic I finally convinced the lady that I did not SEW CLOTHING and I would be using it to hold FISHING TACKLE Talk about a hassle over a $15 tackle box! I was about ready to throw it at her and tell her she could use it for her sewing goodies!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I e-mailed them about it,so i'll see what they say?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Lob Wedge grunner is on a distinguished road grunner's Avatar
    check out the following links at the Canadian Border Services Agency website,

Dutiable and taxable goods sent by mail
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/eservices/bis/bis42-e.html

and,

Customs Tariff
    http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/general/p..._tariff-e.html

Also check Ebay's Canada&USA Import/Export shipping guide, has a good overall summary but no tariff specific info.
    http://reviews.ebay.com/Canada-amp-U...00000000067340
    Last edited by grunner; 03-16-2006 at 10:18 AM.

Thread Information