CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
    Hybrid Chris is on a distinguished road Chris's Avatar

Cold Weather Balls

For those of you who don't put away the clubs til the snow fly's, what do you consider (in your experience) to be the best ball in cold weather? :eyemouth

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    I've always liked to use a Titleist DT 80 in the cold weather. They're soft, and cheap so I don't feel too bad when I loose them in the leaves!

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Good ball for cold weather.

The Toppoint Multiplex is a good ball for cold weather. It is a true 80 compression ball. In cooler climates it compress's more then 90 or 100 compression balls and thus adds yardage to your drives without sacraficing feel.

you can read more on http://www.golftoppoint.com

Steve

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

Re: Good ball for cold weather.

Originally posted by Slammin' Stever
    The Toppoint Multiplex is a good ball for cold weather. It is a true 80 compression ball. In cooler climates it compress's more then 90 or 100 compression balls and thus adds yardage to your drives without sacraficing feel.

you can read more on http://www.golftoppoint.com

Steve

The best solution is to purchase a hands warmer and keep that ball as warm as possible. Of course you'll have to switch between shots but this is Canada and at this time it's winter's rules.

Re: Re: Good ball for cold weather.

Originally posted by Andre Cantin
    The best solution is to purchase a hands warmer and keep that ball as warm as possible. Of course you'll have to switch between shots but this is Canada and at this time it's winter's rules.
    I was told that if you use a lady's golf ball such as the Precept that you can get excellent yardage because of low compression. Can anybody back up this claim? André.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar

Thumbs up this is true

If I find ladies balls I keep them for the spring or late fall.

BTW I believe changing your ball between shots is a no-no
    even in Canada eh!......

Re: Re: Re: Good ball for cold weather.

Originally posted by Andre Cantin
    I was told that if you use a lady's golf ball such as the Precept that you can get excellent yardage because of low compression. Can anybody back up this claim? André.
    Steve. What is the exact ruling as far as switching balls during a round? Late November I will allow myself to switch balls until I qualify for the SPGA which won't be in this lifetime. What if your ball splits in 2? What is the ruling then? What if your ball roughens up after hitting a paved carpath? What if someone picks up your ball?

3 Wood jimrobin is on a distinguished road

Questions???

Andre:
    You're only allowed to switch your ball on the tee before you begin the hole.

If a ball slipts in two, the shot must be replayed without penalty from the original spot.

If it hits a cart path and gets roughen up, you play on. Only if it is unplayable may it be replaced.

If someone else picks it up you'll have to ask Garry. There could be different senarios. If you didn't see the guy pick it up, I'd presume it is considered lost. If you see the guy pick it up, go get it from him.

Garry:
    What about if an animal picks it up? What if an animal picks it up and moves it. What if an bird picks it up and drops it in a water hazard (like I think happened to Tom Kite a few years ago).

Re: Questions???

Originally posted by jimrobin
    Andre:
    You're only allowed to switch your ball on the tee before you begin the hole.

If a ball slipts in two, the shot must be replayed without penalty from the original spot.

If it hits a cart path and gets roughen up, you play on. Only if it is unplayable may it be replaced.

If someone else picks it up you'll have to ask Garry. There could be different senarios. If you didn't see the guy pick it up, I'd presume it is considered lost. If you see the guy pick it up, go get it from him.

Garry:
    What about if an animal picks it up? What if an animal picks it up and moves it. What if an bird picks it up and drops it in a water hazard (like I think happened to Tom Kite a few years ago).
    Jim. Does that mean that I could play with 18 different balls during a round? What about the pros? Could they switch balls after every hole? Could I play one hole with a balata type ball and the next with a hard cover? Am I allowed to switch brands i.e Wilson, Titleist, low trajectory, Magna? Can I use a different ball for putting?. Regards.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Does that mean that I could play with 18 different balls during a round?

Yes

What about the pros? Could they switch balls after every hole?

Yes but I think most will play about 3 holes per ball.

Could I play one hole with a balata type ball and the next with a hard cover? Am I allowed to switch brands i.e Wilson, Titleist, low trajectory, Magna?

Yes you can, but the PGA tour has a local rule that limits them to one brand and model of ball per round (can play another on day 2 of an event)

Can I use a different ball for putting?

No. You may not change balls during a hole unless it is lost or deemed unplayable.

balls

Originally posted by Dan Kilbank
    Does that mean that I could play with 18 different balls during a round?

Yes

What about the pros? Could they switch balls after every hole?

Yes but I think most will play about 3 holes per ball.

Could I play one hole with a balata type ball and the next with a hard cover? Am I allowed to switch brands i.e Wilson, Titleist, low trajectory, Magna?

Yes you can, but the PGA tour has a local rule that limits them to one brand and model of ball per round (can play another on day 2 of an event)

Can I use a different ball for putting?

No. You may not change balls during a hole unless it is lost or deemed unplayable.
    Dan. Let me see if I understand correctly. If I pick let's say a Wilson True for one round does this mean I got to stick with it for the whole round? Otherwise logic would have you play the hard cover on long par 4's and 5's, and the balata type on par 3's and short par4's:crying

Changing balls

Andre:
    You and I can change our golf balls to fit the hole we're playing. Soft or Hard covered ball.

BY Dan:
    But the PGA tour has a local rule that limits them to one brand and model of ball per round (can play another on day 2 of an event)
    On the PGA tour they can't. They can't change their type of ball per hole.

I know when I caddied at the Eagle Creek Classic, on the 1st tee an offical asked the golfer what brand & model of golf ball they would be playing & the brand of shoe they were wearing. I still haven't figured out why the shoe.

Maybe Garry can answer that one?

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    jimrobin-

That was not an official.
    That was a person designated to take a survey.

When you see advertising claims like: 78% of players wear Foot-joy shoes or 90% play Titleist balls, that's where the data comes from.

That makes sense!

Garry:
    It was the guy that was announcing the players to the crowd. Just before he called out the players name and where they were from, he would find out that info. I believe it was that Dan Mooney guy from Cable 22.

Yes, he may have been the "official starter", but his questions about what balls and equipment the players were using had nothing "official" to do with the Rules of Play.

You may play any conforming ball from the teeing ground. There is no stipulation as to whether that ball has or has not been played from the previous teeing ground. So, you may play 18 different balls during a round.

You must hole out with the ball played from the teeing ground unless a Rule permits you to substitute another ball.

You may "switch" balls during the play of a hole if your ball becomes unfit for play.
    Unfit for play means visibly cut, cracked, or out of shape.
    You may NOT substitute a different ball on the putting green.

There must be reasonable evidence that your ball has been removed by an outside agency, otherwise it is considered lost.
    There is no difference between a human outside agency and an animal outside agency.

If someone removes your ball in play, do not go after him to retrieve it. You may be subject to penalty for delaying play.

The Committee in charge of the competition may invoke a local rule commonly called the "One Ball Condition".
    During a stipulated round, the balls a player uses must be of the same brand and type as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.

This is not specifically a PGA Tour rule or "pro" condition.
    In fact, this condition is used in most club championships.

Thread Information