100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    allanhouston90

Tip for the day, from Joel.

Under pressure, go through your preshot routine to visualize the shot, align yourself properly, and set up to the ball in good posture and in a relaxed position. You can now feel calm and confident that you have done everything in your control to hit a good shot. Just swing with freedom and trust it. The preshot routine is the prelude to consistent golf.

Cheers, Joel

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by allanhouston90
    Under pressure, go through your preshot routine to visualize the shot, align yourself properly, and set up to the ball in good posture and in a relaxed position. You can now feel calm and confident that you have done everything in your control to hit a good shot. Just swing with freedom and trust it. The preshot routine is the prelude to consistent golf. Cheers, Joel
    The above indicates that the preshot routine ends at the instant you start to swing and is a routine commonly recommended by instructors and some mental game authors.

An alternate way of looking at this is to consider all that you do in planning your shot as the preshot routine. However, the act of gripping your club, aiming, setting up and swinging, collectively, is your actual shot.

Preshot is "manual" or conscious. You are considering the lie, wind, distance, pin location, intermediate aiming point and so on, all conscious thoughts, and from that you decide how the shot is going to be played. The next instant is a transition phase where you go from conscious to subconscious. In practice you have taken your grip, aimed, set up and swung hundreds/thousands of times and this has become routine or a subconscious actions. When you begin the subconscious phase, you do NOT think of anything golf related.

If you consciously think of gripping, aiming, setting up, then this conscious action will interfere with what IS subconscious, and diminished performance is more likely.

Having a routine is essential. The initial description is better than having no routine, however, delving a little into the states of mind in which we can be when performing athletically, may indicate that there is an even better way. Personally, I have read many, many books on the mental game of golf, including all the Bob Rotella nonsense, and found over time, that none of it worked, but never know why, until I came to a better understanding of how our minds work. With the help of Carey Mumford's work, at the link below, I found something that actually works, why it works, and how easy it actually is to do. It is different and unconventional, which usually indicates to me that it is correct. I must admit, though, that I would love to have the take from Rotella's "full of sound and fury, signifying nothing books," books. Maybe I should sell them for $5 each.

More information can be found at www.clearkey golf.com.

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    got to love Carey. great great man, ive spoken with him a few times and picked his noodle often...highly recommend.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw
    got to love Carey. great great man, ive spoken with him a few times and picked his noodle often...highly recommend.
    The interesting thing to me is that when Bob Rotella talks, everybody drools. But, when someone who knows how the brain/mind actually works and writes based on that knowledge, few listen. Perhaps that is the difference between one who may be in it for the money and one who actually wants to help golfers play better.

Try phoning or emailing Dr. Bob and see what response you get. Try phoning or emailing Carey and see what response you get. Amazing difference, eh?

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    when i first was introduced to his e-book, i was not keen on buying the putting e-book....so he made a deal with me...try out the first one full price, and if you like, i'll give you the same price as if you bought them together. He made a great analysis of myself, my innerself. Then i picked his brain, always got a reply never a bill...he even sent audio...i spoke to him on the phone while he was in Destin i think. Great man, highly recommend. hows this for a clearkey:
    "fly me to the moon,
    let me sing among the stars
    let me see what spring is like on jupiter and mars'

Thread Information