100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Playing from Lateral Water hazard

I slice my tee shot into a lateral water hazard and decide to play the shot from there. I hit the ball and it disappears into the water, inside the hazard.

May I go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and drop a ball within the allowed 2 club lengths, add 1 penalty stroke, and hit 4? OR

Am I penalized an extra stroke because having played from the hazard, my only other option, other than taking the ball out of the hazard, would be stroke and distance? I would then be hitting 4 from the hazard or 5 from outside it.

May I return to the tee? Would I be hitting 4 or 5 if I do?

Thanks

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    One option would be to replay the shot in the hazzard, hitting 3.

I think you are allowed to "go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and drop a ball within the allowed 2 club lengths, add 1 penalty stroke, and hit 4."

I do not think you can go back to the tee, since that was 2 shots ago.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    One option would be to replay the shot in the hazzard, hitting 3.
    I believe you forgot to add the penalty stroke with this option, so you would hitting 4. The only way you could be hitting 3 is if you actually play the ball as it lies in the water.

I think you are allowed to "go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and drop a ball within the allowed 2 club lengths, add 1 penalty stroke, and hit 4."

I do not think you can go back to the tee, since that was 2 shots ago.
    I agree. The "spot at which the original ball was last played" is now in the hazard.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Yup it would be 4 in the hazzard.

Hmmm, so if you then dropped where it crossed the hazard, you'd be laying 4 hitting 5. If that's even allowed...

I think your just screwed.

Oops, I should never attempt to answer these questions without checking first (from Rule 26-2):

iii) under penalty of one stroke, play a ball as nearly as possible at the spot from which the last stroke from outside a water hazard was made (see Rule 20-5).
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Yup it would be 4 in the hazzard.

Hmmm, so if you then dropped where it crossed the hazard, you'd be laying 4 hitting 5. If that's even allowed...
    Shot off the tee is 1. Shot from inside the hazard is 2. Your penalty stroke and drop is 3 - you're now hitting your 4th shot.

Oh well, why do people come up with these math questions on a Monday morning anyway. Can't they wait a few hours before posting?

I think your just screwed.
    You got that right!

That covers it.

So I would be hitting 4, inside or outside of the hazard. A real no-brainer.

Good question.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    I slice my tee shot into a lateral water hazard and decide to play the shot from there. I hit the ball and it disappears into the water, inside the hazard.

May I go to the point where the ball last crossed the margin of the hazard and drop a ball within the allowed 2 club lengths, add 1 penalty stroke, and hit 4? OR

Am I penalized an extra stroke because having played from the hazard, my only other option, other than taking the ball out of the hazard, would be stroke and distance? I would then be hitting 4 from the hazard or 5 from outside it.

May I return to the tee? Would I be hitting 4 or 5 if I do?

Thanks
    The relief rule says, "The point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the hazard", so you always have the option of dropping outside the margin of the hazard, no matter how many swings you took in the hazard.

One stroke to get in. Second stroke in the hazard. One penalty stroke if you want to take a drop outside the hazard, therefore hitting number 4 whether you drop inside or outside of the hazard.

Same deal if you return to the tee.

26-2 Ball Played Within Water Hazard
    a. Ball Comes to Rest in Same or Another Water Hazard
    (ii) proceed under Rule 26-1b, or if applicable Rule 26-1c

26-1 Relief for Ball in Water Hazard
    (b) Drop a ball behind the water hazard, keeping the point at which the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard directly between the hole and the spot on which the ball is dropped, with no limit to how far behind the water hazard the ball may be dropped; or
    (c) As additional options available only if the ball last crossed the margin of a lateral water hazard, drop a ball outside the water hazard within two club-lengths of and not nearer the hole than (i) the point where the original ball last crossed the margin of the water hazard or (ii) a point on the opposite margin of the water hazard equidistant from the hole.

The additional stroke penalty is where you drop the ball in the hazard after losing it and then decide you want to get out. You may not use the unplayable lie rule, so that's what rule 26-2(i)(a) and 26-2(i)(b) are for.
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

1dash1
    BCMist:

Briefly summarizing what others have said, your options:
    Play the ball as it lies.

26-1a: Drop a ball from where you last hit it, in the hazard.*

26-1b: Reference the point of entry, drop a ball in line with the hole.*

26-1c: Reference the point of entry, drop a ball within 2 clublengths.*

26-2a(iii): Play a ball from where you last played from outside the hazard.*
    * _ All the relief options are under penalty of one stroke and there are special conditions that I've omitted for simplicity sake, such as "in back of the hazard" for option 26-1b and the "equidistant" point of the opposite margine for option 26-1c.

I've also omitted options 26-2a(i) and 26-2a(ii). All that these two options do is reiterate the player's right to take relief a second time, even after having taken relief the first time. (The principle is the same as taking an unplayable, after having already taken an unplayable.)

If this happens in the forrest...
    Ie, you hit it from a "bad place" into a "worse place", (unplayable lie) but you are not in a hazzard, and if there is no relief within 2 clublengths, you are in deep do-do. I don't think there are any more options other than hitting over from the "bad place" in that case.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Ie, you hit it from a "bad place" into a "worse place", (unplayable lie) but you are not in a hazzard, and if there is no relief within 2 clublengths, you are in deep do-do. I don't think there are any more options other than hitting over from the "bad place" in that case.
    Worse place - declare it is unplayable.

Keep backing up from your unplayable ball, keeping youself, the unplayable ball and the flag in a line. If the course architech has planned the course correctly, keep going until you end up in the club house and at the bar. Drink as many shots of tequila as required to forget all about your ball and playing partners ...
    Back at it.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Yeah, but does anybody hear it...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Normally I'd just take an 'x' and move on, but stroke play can be brutal.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Yeah, but does anybody hear it...
    I hope not, I'd have to wash my mouth out.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Or, use the PREFERRED LIE RULE Dan. My friends from work, who only play once a month use it.
    "I prefer not to hit from here, so I am moving my ball to a preferred lie"

And they wonder why I don't play them for a beer
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Or, use the PREFERRED LIE RULE
    as in....

"I prefer to lie over there in the fairway, so I'm going to hit from there...."

same as...

"I prefer to lie about my actual score..."

[color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spidey
    as in....

"I prefer to lie over there in the fairway, so I'm going to hit from there...."

same as...

"I prefer to lie about my actual score..."

Not me, I play em as they lie, except when we are playing lift clean and place because of heavy rain.
    Now the work buddies, they tip em, and you know what that is fine with me. They play golf once a month and they play to have fun, score is not important to them. They won't move a ball to the fairway either, they just roll them around for a nice lie. If they are in a bunker, they play from the bunker. If they are in the trees they play from the trees.
    Plus they can tip em all they want, they still ain't going beat me They are there to enjoy the day and have some fun.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Thread Information