CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Hogan/Dunnigan/Tiger

A couple of pics for a forum member who is interested in seeing what ON PLANE means.

Source:

"The Secret to the Golf Swing" by John Dunnigan.
    www.golfbetterproductions.com

The Hogan pic did not attach.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    The hands should touch the shaft axes plane where on the downswing?
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

I would love to see Tiger or any other tour pro’s single plane downswing motion in every position. I just can’t find one.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    I would love to see Tiger or any other tour pro’s single plane downswing motion in every position. I just can’t find one.
    Jim Hardy named his idea the "Single Plane" motion, however, it is anything but single plane. His reference point is left arm coinciding with the the turned shoulder plane at the top. The other important plane is the shaft axis plane and at the top the right elbow is on this line and stays there on the way down or is just below it. Not all pros have a "single plane" motion. Sabatinni, Furyk and Couples are as far from this as any and yet they win. They have a wee bit more talent that the average bear. The best SP swing out there right now is probably Chad Campbell.

If the hands are on the turned shoulder plane at the top, they will gradually move down to the shaft axis plane by the time they are at or just below hip height and the reference point is when the shaft coincides with the right forearm. This is called a plane shift and most, if not all, good players make one. It is obvious in the shots of Dunnigan above and you can see that Tiger is shifting his hands from the TSP back down towards the SAP. His "new" swing brings the shaft almost coinciding with the right forearm, SAP(Pg 98, "Tiger's New Swing," Hank Haney, second pic). If he was to be on perfect plane, he would not block the ball, but where does he miss most of his drives, if he does? Right or left?

The other truth is that one can create any plane reference point they want and describe the movements in terms of that plane. Draw a line from the ball to the golfer's nose and then describe the movement of the hands or whatever relative to that line. The two that are mentioned are the ones that are referred to the most.

Check the positions of Hogan, Moe Norman, & George Knudson, three of the greatest ball strikers, ever, relative to the two planes I mentioned. If they vary from the above, I will eat my divot. Tiger is NOT a great ball striker. His drives miss far too many fairways for him to be classified that way. Sure, he was #1 in GIR's this weekend, but how long was the Doral rough?" The only reason he won was because he was 58/58 in putts from 6' and in. He is probably the greatest putter ever.

Regardless of any of the above, golfers can still play good golf, even if they return the club back down along the turned shoulder plane. Just learn how to block the shot with your hands and/or your body. But, is it not easier to learn to do something correctly in the first place, than to learn to do something else correctly to compensate for something you have learned to do that is not ideal? If one has had some success with the latter, then doubting the former is understandable. I still recommend Mark Evershed's "Knowledge Video," and anything TGM ("The Golfing Machine.") With the proper knowledge and understanding, it is easier to decide where to go to get on the path to improvement. There is nothing wrong in perfecting ones faults; it just makes it tougher to get better.

Don’t get me wrong Lyle, I do believe its the right way to swing. I’m just searching for a model swinger. I like to analyse the golf swing and then make myself some kind of training tool to force my swing on the desired swing path.

I was an OTT swinger 5 years ago and fixed it by creating a home made “inside approach” before it even existed. On TV that is.

When I figure out exactly what I want to do I will post pictures. The only way that I can make this tool is to find the ideal swing motion sequence.

If you have rear view pics of every downswing frames from a pro, I would love to see them.

Mike

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Here are some pics of the OPS poster child.
    Back at it.

He is very steep on his back swing and then reroutes it. I’m missing a frame from the top to waist high.

Do you or anybody have a video session of him or any other pro that has a single plane?

I know, I know I’m asking a lot but some of you golf freaks must have it.

Mike

He is very steep on his back swing and then reroutes it. I’m missing a frame from the top to waist high.
    Do you or anybody have a video session of him or any other pro that has a single plane?
    I know, I know I’m asking a lot but some of you golf freaks must have it.Mike
    Attached is the slightly revised contribution of Chad's swing, with the plane lines(TSP-Turned Shoulder Plane and SAP-Shaft Axis Plane) added.

At the top, pic 4, his hands are on the TSP and the left arm coincides with the shoulder turn. Classic "ONE PLANE." Also, in pic 4 I have included the SAP line I made in pic one to show that his right elbow is ON or just below this line, which is even better.

The most important shot is pic 5. His hands move back and down so that they are ON the SAP, AND the club shaft coincides with this, AND covers the right forearm. My plane line covers this but is visible if you check "Started's" original attachment.

The only way that he can get to this position is to have a plane shift, or as you say, "reroutes it." This rerouting is NOT, however, a LOOP. It is just Chad pushing his hands back towards the camera FIRST, instead of moving them towards the ball. While the difference between the TSP and the SAP in Chad's swing is relatively small, compared to some, it still shows what Evershed, TGM, Dunnigan, & O'Grady teach. The arms/hands move to an on, shaft axis plane, position.

Here is something to compare to Tiger 2002 mid-iron (with BC's lines). BC might want to comment on it.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    Here is something to compare to Tiger 2002 mid-iron (with BC's lines). BC might want to comment on it.
    While Tiger was close to "single plane" at the top, he definitely did NOT return his hands down to the shaft axis plane on the way down. That was 2002, however, as you indicated and seemingly, a lot has changed since then.

In "Tiger's New Swing," it is obvious that he has flattened the downswing plane, but whether he gets to the shaft axis plane, I don't know. I would love to see a sequence similar to the above of his current action.

This may or may not be relevant, but Tiger hits his shots with a fade so his setup is more open, making the downswing plane a little more "upright", ie., more likely to be above the shaft axis plane. Secondly, most of Tiger's misses go right indicating that he blocks most of his shots. A lower body that is too far around or ahead of the upper, pulls the arms more outwardly, which again would make his downswing steeper. Having said this, the idea of returning closer to the shaft axis plane on the downswing, will make any golfer lacking Tour calibre talent to compensate, a better ball striker.

Because Tiger is the best "player" in the world, does NOT make him the best ball striker, and his swing is NOT one that I would use if I was looking for one to have golfers copy. The best ball strikers could hit fairways. Tiger's prowess is putting. He is probably the best ever and this is why he wins. His length does not hurt either even though he is in the rough a bit less than half the time.

Where do you get these sequences? They are great.

Here are some swing sequence but they are old.

http://asafgolf.free.fr/swings/swings.htm

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Where do you get these sequences? They are great.
    http://redgoat.smugmug.com/

This guys site used to be freely available (no password required). I just emailed the guy and he sent me the password (no strings ... so far).

There are quite a few tour swings (pics and vids).

The pictures can't be saved directly, but with a little bit of clever computering you can capture the picture (PM me if you want to know what I do).
    Back at it.

Password: bluegoat

Password: bluegoat
    Great! The guy obviously wanted to restrict access (to a certain degree).

Now if he shuts his site down, I will be pissed.

BTW - my password to my account on this site is: ########
    What is yours?
    Trust me you can tell me. I won't tell any one.
    Back at it.

BTW - my password to my account on this site is: ######## What is yours?
    Trust me you can tell me. I won't tell any one.
    Mine is unique: bluegoat
    Please keep this to yourself.

I extracted a few of pics (Howell III, Sergio, VJ, Me and me) and drew a couple of lines. All three players have their hands touching the SAP at hip high as illustrated with the circle.

Compared to my swing, I need to bring back my hands to the SAP. That will probably align my saft to the SAP at impact. Hmmmm!! Lots of work to do all though I’m not in a bas position. Comments?

Got to make a tool to force me in that position.

Mike

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Wow! this is all great stuff guys. Looks like you have a super place to practice mberube. There is nowhere in my house I can swing without hitting something.

I extracted a few of pics (Howell III, Sergio, VJ, Me and me) and drew a couple of lines. All three players have their hands touching the SAP at hip high as illustrated with the circle. Compared to my swing, I need to bring back my hands to the SAP. That will probably align my saft to the SAP at impact. Hmmmm!! Lots of work to do all though I’m not in a bas position. Comments? Got to make a tool to force me in that position.Mike
    A couple of things stick out in the pro shots that may not be apparent when we watch these guys swing on TV.

The first is how "FLAT" or how "LAID OFF" or how much BEHIND their bums, the shaft is as the downswing starts. Some, "old fashioned" instructors would see this as a fault, stating that the club head is coming into the ball "too much from the inside." I have played a long time and I have NEVER seen anyone swing too much from the inside. 98% of golfers swing too much from ABOVE plane and/or from the outside. The truth is that this flattening motion should be perceived as essential to achieving consistency.

The second is the position of VJ's right hand in pic 7. Except for his finger tips, his right hand is completely off the club. How can a guy become #1 in the world doing that? The morons at Golf Digest actually wrote an article about this position calling it, I believe, "the new release." Try it and you while you may break a few windows, you won't break 150.

Mike, I work on the motion of moving my hands BACK toward the camera each time I practice, by doing two things: (1) I use John Dunnigan's "Flattening drill," which he describes here - http://www.golfbetterproductions.com....asp?drillID=3. (2) I lay a 2' to 3' piece of masking tape on the mat coming into the ball at about a 30* angle. As I swing down I can "SEE/FEEL" my hands and arms staying on my side of the this tape, AND, I can see the clubhead coming into the ball and beyond at this same angle. The ironic thing is that while I see the underneath drop of the arms/hands and the inside path of the club head, I also "FEEL" my hands arms coming very sharply low and left through impact. Watching the good players in slow mo, this is exactly what they do. The hands are going left while the club head is going right. This may sound confusing, but it works. The tape on the mat works well for me, but if you come up with a device to help get your hands back down to the shaft plane, would you let us have a peek?

For we mortals, I believe this plane shift is "The Secret to the Golf Swing," and yet, how many golfers understand this?

Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    Wow! this is all great stuff guys. Looks like you have a super place to practice mberube. There is nowhere in my house I can swing without hitting something.
    The set-up you see is in my garage. I hit golf balls all year long in there. If you look closely, I am hitting off a P3Pro golf simulator. www.p3pro.com You can see the black pad under my golf ball. This thing is connected to a laptop. You can connect your laptop to a projector and have the same type of set-up as Golf-o-max but better. This unit reads face angles, swing speed, ball speed, swing path, angle of attack…. It my best friend.

Mike

Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    A couple of things stick out in the pro shots that may not be apparent when we watch these guys swing on TV.

The first is how "FLAT" or how "LAID OFF" or how much BEHIND their bums, the shaft is as the downswing starts. Some, "old fashioned" instructors would see this as a fault, stating that the club head is coming into the ball "too much from the inside." I have played a long time and I have NEVER seen anyone swing too much from the inside. 98% of golfers swing too much from ABOVE plane and/or from the outside. The truth is that this flattening motion should be perceived as essential to achieving consistency.

The second is the position of VJ's right hand in pic 7. Except for his finger tips, his right hand is completely off the club. How can a guy become #1 in the world doing that? The morons at Golf Digest actually wrote an article about this position calling it, I believe, "the new release." Try it and you while you may break a few windows, you won't break 150.

Mike, I work on the motion of moving my hands BACK toward the camera each time I practice, by doing two things: (1) I use John Dunnigan's "Flattening drill," which he describes here - http://www.golfbetterproductions.com....asp?drillID=3. (2) I lay a 2' to 3' piece of masking tape on the mat coming into the ball at about a 30* angle. As I swing down I can "SEE/FEEL" my hands and arms staying on my side of the this tape, AND, I can see the clubhead coming into the ball and beyond at this same angle. The ironic thing is that while I see the underneath drop of the arms/hands and the inside path of the club head, I also "FEEL" my hands arms coming very sharply low and left through impact. Watching the good players in slow mo, this is exactly what they do. The hands are going left while the club head is going right. This may sound confusing, but it works. The tape on the mat works well for me, but if you come up with a device to help get your hands back down to the shaft plane, would you let us have a peek?

For we mortals, I believe this plane shift is "The Secret to the Golf Swing," and yet, how many golfers understand this?
    I practiced a specific drill today. I stopped at the top of my backswing then practiced dropping my hands straight down to the SAP while keeping the shaft very “flat” so that the shaft points outside the target line and making sure that I feel the weight of the shaft on my right index finger. I do this drill three times before hitting the ball.

Let me tell you that it feels great. I’m hitting it a bit thin but that is normal for now. Remarkably this swing change added 4 mph to my swing speed on an 8 iron. I don’t know what it looks like on video but I will tell you in two week.

As for the tape drill that you use, It doesn’t work for me. I get stuck. I feel like my arms separate from my body at and post impact. It will probably work better when my swing comes down closer or on the SAP.

When I figure out what device I need to fabricate, I will be happy to share it with a video session print screen at the same time.

Mike

As for the tape drill that you use, It doesn’t work for me. I get stuck. I feel like my arms separate from my body at and post impact. It will probably work better when my swing comes down closer or on the SAP. Mike
    Is it possible that this separation is an effect of the blocking position your body was in when your hands/arms were coming down on the turned shoulder plane? It is very common.

One of the best "solutions" of this blocking move is to have the upper left arm stay in contact with the left upper chest, connection, through the entire downswing. It is one of the 4 important pressure points that TGM describes. You use of the right index finger as a pressure point is one of the others.

It would have been interesting to see a shot of your swing, from directly behind you, a little after impact, just to see if and how much separation you actually may have had.

What is also good about what you are doing is that you are finding your own way to improvement vesus relying on some instructor, or tips, or whatever. Good golf teachers teach the golfer to teach themselves. How many do that?

One of the best "solutions" of this blocking move is to have the upper left arm stay in contact with the left upper chest, connection, through the entire downswing. It is one of the 4 important pressure points that TGM describes. You use of the right index finger as a pressure point is one of the others.

What are the other 2 pressure points?

Is thhis what you want or a video session with the camera in my back?

Mike
    Last edited by mberube; 03-13-2006 at 10:59 AM.

Part 2

mberube,

Those stills are pretty cool. I was looking at the ball's impact on the sheet - definately in to out club head path.

What I would do if I could ever convince my wife to let me have your setup:

Mark the target line with masking tape on the sheet (maybe with a couple of parallel lines to either side 4-5 inches). This would give me a clear indication of how much the swing was in-out.
    Back at it.

What I would do if I could ever convince my wife to let me have your setup:

Mark the target line with masking tape on the sheet (maybe with a couple of parallel lines to either side 4-5 inches). This would give me a clear indication of how much the swing was in-out.
    Ya my swing path is definitely in-to-out and I know where to hit the ball on the screen but I keep my head down as long as possible and that makes it hard to see exactly where the ball hits.

My golf simulator tells me exactly what I did wrong: swing path, ball flight. The swing you see here is in-to-out 6 degrees, 1 degree closed clubface at impact resulting in a right to left ball flight with the ball landing 7 yards left of target.

All my golf buddies envy my setup. It’s very cool. I just got the simulator a month ago. It’s a must buy when you hit in a net. At least I now know where the ball is going and not practicing a hook every day and not knowing it. The downside is that I can’t swing a driver, yet, 8I is the safest club and that I lose all my heat cause the garage is not well insulated. It makes it hard/impossible to swing during cold winter evenings. I’ll fix it up for next winter.

Mike

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    What are the other 2 pressure points?

Is thhis what you want or a video session with the camera in my back?

Mike
    pp1: last 3 fingers left hand
    pp2: right palm on the aft side of shaft
    pp3: right index pressure on side of shaft
    pp4: wherever left arm touches chest.

i dont have the book with me right now, but im pretty sure tahts it.

Quote Originally Posted by Powerdraw
    pp1: last 3 fingers left hand
    pp2: right palm on the aft side of shaft
    pp3: right index pressure on side of shaft
    pp4: wherever left arm touches chest.

i dont have the book with me right now, but im pretty sure tahts it.
    When you say “pp4: wherever left arm touches chest.” is it the upper bicep/triceps to the chest or must the elbow stay in contact with the body.

I do the “towel under arm” drill but I never now exactly where to put the towel. Is it in the middle of the bicep under the pectoral or directly under the armpit?

Mike

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    this is not a towel drill thing. Actually i think it is counter-productive and unpowerfull....i know i know, if VJ does it then...BS. hes just that damn good to get away with it, but remember he did bust a rib cuz of it.

PP4 is once the left arm has been thrown across chest at top of swing via a pivot motion or otherwise, the left arm touches the left titty. From here, via the pivot, the left arm will get blasted off the chest as a power source wich is exactly the opposite of the towel drill. imagine left arm as a rope, you turn back to get rope across chest and you try and blast it off through impact without using your left arm, imagine you have slepped on your left arm and it feels numb and from there you try to fling the numb left arm across chest and blast it off your chest at followthrough...a form of lag i guess. hope this helps.

PP4 is once the left arm has been thrown across chest at top of swing via a pivot motion or otherwise, the left arm touches the left titty. From here, via the pivot, the left arm will get blasted off the chest as a power source wich is exactly the opposite of the towel drill. imagine left arm as a rope, you turn back to get rope across chest and you try and blast it off through impact without using your left arm, imagine you have slepped on your left arm and it feels numb and from there you try to fling the numb left arm across chest and blast it off your chest at followthrough...a form of lag i guess. hope this helps.
    Wouldn’t that create separation and make someone swing even more in2out?

this is not a towel drill thing. Actually i think it is counter-productive and unpowerfull....i know i know, if VJ does it then...BS. hes just that damn good to get away with it, but remember he did bust a rib cuz of it.
    Correct me if I am wrong, but I heard that he was using a golf ball, not a towel, when he busted his rib.
    Back at it.

Thread Information