CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Using two different balls..

Is there a rule that stops someone from using a hard ball for long holes and a soft ball for short par 3's so they can spin it more? If so what is it? I wasn't able to find anything but I'm still looking.

England Golf Referee AAA is on a distinguished road
    No rule to stop you.
    Unless there is a Condition of Competition in force, known as the 'One Ball Condition'. This is usually only used in Pro tournaments. Probably because the player's sponsors want their players only to play with the one type and make of ball. It is very unusual to see this CoC in normal club competitions.
    You can find the Condition in Appendix I Part C of the Rules book.
    Last edited by AAA; 03-05-2006 at 12:11 PM.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    There is however the rule of Conscience. Why would you want to change balls? Play the same ball and learn how to play it, you will be a better golfer in the long run.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

"Richard"
    GB, I agree with you. I use my wilsons from start to finnish. If I lose a ball another wilson comes out. But I think I just caught onto my friends little trick. But I guess if he isn't doing anything to break the rules I can't really say aynthing

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    There is however the rule of Conscience. Why would you want to change balls? Play the same ball and learn how to play it, you will be a better golfer in the long run.
    If balls have been designed for a specific purpose, why not use them for that purpose. I'm sure you don't use only one club.

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Under Appendix I of the USGA rules of golf, a commitee should decide on rules such as this one:

c. One Ball Condition If it is desired to prohibit changing brands and types of golf balls during a stipulated round, the following condition is recommended:
    “Limitation on Balls Used During Round: (Note to Rule 5-1)
    (i) One Ball Condition
    During a stipulated round,the balls a player plays must be of the same brand and type as detailed by a single entry on the current List of Conforming Golf Balls.
    Note: If a ball of a different brand and/or type is dropped or placed, it may be lifted, without penalty, and the player must then proceed by dropping or placing a proper ball (Rule 20-6).
    PENALTY FOR BREACH OF CONDITION:
    Match Play — At the conclusion of the hole at which the breach is discovered, the state of the match is adjusted by deducting one hole for each hole at which a breach occurred; maximum deduction per round — Two holes.
    Stroke Play— Two strokes for each hole at which any breach occurred; maximum penalty per round — Four strokes.
    (ii) Procedure When Breach Discovered
    When a player discovers that he has played a ball in breach of this condition, he must abandon that ball before playing from the next teeing ground and complete the round using a proper ball; otherwise, the player is disqualified. If discovery is made during play of a hole and the player elects to substitutea proper ball before completing that hole, the player must place a proper ball on the spot where the ball used in breach of the condition lay.”

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    looks like the same rule for competition is in effect under RCGA rules as well...

Quote Originally Posted by AAA
    If balls have been designed for a specific purpose, why not use them for that purpose. I'm sure you don't use only one club.
    You are correct, I do not use the same club for every shot. The rules of golf allow me to use 14 different clubs during a round of golf.

The rules of golf allow me to use one brand of ball through out a round of golf. I agree, we are not on tour, but the rules for us are the same as the ones they play under. I know my club does not endorse the one ball rule during club events, but that might well change this year if the committee decides it should.

Pretty simple. If you want to play a ball that gives you more distance then do so by all means. However you then need to learn how to play the 2nd or 3rd shot to a green with that distance ball. Same goes on a par 3. Why would I, if I was in a competition against you allow you to break the rules? If you do so I have to call you for a penalty stroke, or loss of the hole. Reason I would do that is to protect the rest of the field. I would expect the same from you if I violated a rule.

Actually there is a big advantage of playing one brand of ball. You will learn how far it carries with all your clubs, you will learn how it reacts when you hit shots to the greens, and you will learn how it comes off the face of your putter. So in the long run, you as a golfer become a better golfer.

That said, try different balls until you find one you really like then stick with it. You will eventually see an improvement in your game.

Quote Originally Posted by Thimble
    looks like the same rule for competition is in effect under RCGA rules as well...
    All the Rules are the same. The R&A and the USGA write the rules, The RCGA publish them and manage them in Canada.

In the section on 'Conditions of Competition' the Ruling Bodies say very specifically

1. Specification of the Ball (Note to Rule 5-1)
    The following two conditions are recommended only for competitions involving expert players:

a. List of Conforming Golf Balls
    b. One Ball Condition

2 Iron up&down is on a distinguished road
    No Rule stops you from changing ballz every hole. Just make sure you start and finish the hole with the same ball (unless lost in OB or hazard) as you will be penalized in tournament play. Also, you are entitled to change your ball if you deem the ball damaged and your playing partners agree

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Is there a rule that stops someone from using a hard ball for long holes and a soft ball for short par 3's so they can spin it more? If so what is it? I wasn't able to find anything but I'm still looking.
    Even on those long holes where you might benefit from the harder ball off the tee, you are gonna want to be hitting that softer ball into the green on your approach shot. What's the bonus of an extra 5yrds off the tee, if you can't spin the ball to hold the green for the approach?

Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    No Rule stops you from changing ballz every hole. Just make sure you start and finish the hole with the same ball (unless lost in OB or hazard) as you will be penalized in tournament play. Also, you are entitled to change your ball if you deem the ball damaged and your playing partners agree
    As long as the balls are the same brand. IE Titleist NXT on Hole #1, Titleist NXT on the next 17 holes.

1dash1
    Point of Clarification:
    Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    As long as the balls are the same brand. IE Titleist NXT on Hole #1, Titleist NXT on the next 17 holes.
    Golfbum is correct, if the "one ball rule" (Condition of Competition) has been invoked by the Committee.
    Quote Originally Posted by up&down
    Up&down is generally correct, if the regular rules of golf are in effect.

1dash1
    Post Script:

If you're playing in a tournament sponsored by the Ohio Golf Association, the ENTIRE FIELD may soon be limited to a single brand/model of ball:

"The Board of Trustees of the Ohio Golf Association has decided to take a stand
    against the eroding playability of our old courses due to the length of the modern golf ball. The Champions Tournament will be unique in the fact that the committee will identify a golf ball for use by all contestants.

The ball to be used will be a modern ball, with specifications as similar as possible to most popular balls, the only exception will be a lower compression. The ball to be used will be on the USGA's approved ball list."

Reference:
    http://www.ohiogolf.org/tournaments/...AChampions.pdf

It might be a good idea for competitors in such tournament to mark their balls.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    i do it for tournaments absolutely no rules stopping you. any chance this game gives you take it
    Proost!

Thread Information