100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Just looking at this hole scares the crap out of me.

http://www.ottawagolf.com/eaglecreek/tour/hole18.htm

I would have no clue what to do on this hole.
    My favorite hole in Ottawa! Probably because I eagled it the first time I played it and there was a double or nothing bet on the hole Can't remember what I hit but shot to the peninsula, 2nd shot hit the railroad ties on the front edge, ball flew up in the air and landed about a foot from the hold, kick in eagle and endure my older brother's whining for the rest of the evening!

The next time I played it, went the safe route and ended up pulling my 2nd into the water twice for a 9. Have played it a few times since and hevent even come close to an eagle, but have made one or 2 birdies
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I've always thought that the peninsula was too gimmicky. Mr. Lacasse should bulldoze it and flood the pond right to the edge of the fairway. Then you would have a classic finishing hole.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Side by side comparison. Which do you like better?
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Aww c'mon lobbie, I love to watch my macho buddies go "plunk" while I play your version of the hole. Don't take that away from me!

I bet there are a whack of proV1's down there!

Dan, look at all that extra water! Whole lotta plunkin goin on!!

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    The level of that lake had to have been raised half an inch just from the volume of balls in there.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I love having that island there, it gives the brave an advantage. If you take the chance, and go for the island you should be rewarded with a long iron/hybrid to hit the green in two.

Personally, if you took the island out, its a boring par5 that is more than likely a 3 shot hole, with no real risk/reward. When i play from the golds, i have to hit a tee shot of 278, just to have 272 to the green, not really a chance of getting home in two. If i hit that same 278yrd drive to the island, i have 199 to the green, now i have a risky 4iron to hit the green in two.

I just think without the island, there is no risk to the hole. You can hit it in the bunker, there would be no reason to challenge the left side of the hole, basically it would be driver, 9iron, pw not a great finishing hole at all. This way if you really need a birdie, you gotta hit two great shots to hit the green in two, but the safe option is always there.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Yah, but I speak for the inner coward in all of us!

President's Cup Wknd_Warrior is on a distinguished road Wknd_Warrior's Avatar
    first post, hi all, cool thread

That first hole I'd try and fade the driver aiming just left of the 100 marker. Nothing huge, just a solid cut to try to get to 3/4 gap wedge territory. Worst case (aside from missing the shot completely) is probably a 120-140 yard sand shot, hopefully not up against the lip.

that 18th hole lol.

Playing from the whites I'd take the risk and go for a steady 3i to the right side of the island. As long as it connects you'r pretty safe. Then you still have the option of laying up if the carry is over 200 to the green and the lie sucks. If I made the island I'd go for the green as long as I didn't have to carry 230-240 into the green.

From the blues I'd try put a 3 wood at the middle of the island and cut it back to the mainland. Basically treat it like a really wide fairway, as long as you get it solid it's safe.

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    I've always thought that the peninsula was too gimmicky. Mr. Lacasse should bulldoze it and flood the pond right to the edge of the fairway. Then you would have a classic finishing hole.
    It would be kinda like the 18th at sawgrass (TPC??) I think...

That would be cool, 17 gets all the cudos but 18th is where the tourneys are decided.. I think its a great hole, it always plays so hard

Thread Information