100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Who has the advantage? Woods or Villegas???

Tiger was the 7th last group to tee off this morning so his group will the 7th group to tee off tomorrow. Villegas on the other hand was in the first group to get out and will be going last tomorrow. Question is, it is easier to play at 8am or at noon? Or at that level does it not matter?

Anyway, could you imagine if these two could stay at the top, it would be great to see tiger playing against Villegas and watching them both bomb it off the tee. Looks like this might be a good one this week. Phil is in it, vijay is in it... hope its close and we get a good pairing on the final day. Doesn't have to include tiger for me to wtach it but it would be nice

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Tiger def has the advantage. Usually in Florida, the mornings are calm and then the wind picks up in the afternoon. Tiger got lucky today that the wind was calm in the afternoon.

Doesn't look like it should be too bad tomorrow though, its only gettin up to 10mph in the afternoon.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar
    I would think the later groups would also have to contend with more scuff marks on the greens around the pins.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Looks like this might be a good one this week. Phil is in it, vijay is in it... hope its close and we get a good pairing on the final day. Doesn't have to include tiger for me to wtach it but it would be nice
    Have you checked the Leader Board lately?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

"Richard"
    Yeah, just checked it.. .It looks fantastic

"Richard"
    Yeah just checked it, looks like my prayers were answered

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Yeah just checked it, looks like my prayers were answered
    On the TO site I picked villegas as the next big young pga guy. Unfortunately I was calling him bodegas.
    I really enjoy this influx of bubbas, JB's, Villegas etc, with the long games. It makes for fun watching.

Are you saying that villegas is in the tiger group tomorrow? How many play, is it threesomes? i.e. tiger phil and villegas?

If so that would be an unbelievable tv event!!!!
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

"Richard"
    THe guy on TV called tiger the greatest putter of all time... I've never even watched him putt I just always thought he was so long off the tee that he could wedge it in close. Where is this coming from? Anyway, tiger has a two shot lead. He has played 4 tourneys this year. Won two (one in dubai) and didn't finnish the other, he dropped out after making the club (I'm sure he would have done poorly) and now this. He is off to a great start. Can anyone say grab slam? Where is vijay when I need him? DON'T LET TIGER COMPLETE THE SLAM VIJAY!!!

"Richard"
    Does Tiger have this one in the bag? Up two storkes to start on sunday. I can't see him giving up this lead. He always shoots in the 60's at this course. My boy Vijay is playing really well right now, to bad he is to far behind right now. 5 under through 10, not bad

Championship Cup Eldred is on a distinguished road Eldred's Avatar
    THe guy on TV called tiger the greatest putter of all time... I've never even watched him putt I just always thought he was so long off the tee that he could wedge it in close. Where is this coming from?
    Likely, he was referring to the putts from Major tournaments TW had to make to save his life... (the few that he didn't lap by the field to win of course).

Andru
    THe guy on TV called tiger the greatest putter of all time... I've never even watched him putt I just always thought he was so long off the tee that he could wedge it in close. Where is this coming from? Anyway, tiger has a two shot lead. He has played 4 tourneys this year. Won two (one in dubai) and didn't finnish the other, he dropped out after making the club (I'm sure he would have done poorly) and now this. He is off to a great start. Can anyone say grab slam? Where is vijay when I need him? DON'T LET TIGER COMPLETE THE SLAM VIJAY!!!
    Correction

He said Tiger was the best par putter of all time.

"Richard"
    what is a par putter???

Andru
    what is a par putter???
    Essentially Johnny Miller was trying to say no one makes more clutch par putts than Tiger Woods. He just always makes that putt when he needs it the most.

"Richard"
    = best putter ever

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Essentially Johnny Miller was trying to say no one makes more clutch par putts than Tiger Woods. He just always makes that putt when he needs it the most.
    Tiger is a poor driver, a good iron player and an excellent putter. At Doral he made 58 out of 58 putts rom 6' and in. Why he won is obvious.

If he was an excellent driver, a good iron player and a poor putter, we would all be saying, "Tiger who?" Villegas LOST this one because he missed a pile of Mississippi gimmes.

When is the Tour going to let the rough grow?

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Tiger is a poor driver, a good iron player and an excellent putter. At Doral he made 58 out of 58 putts rom 6' and in. Why he won is obvious.

If he was an excellent driver, a good iron player and a poor putter, we would all be saying, "Tiger who?" Villegas LOST this one because he missed a pile of Mississippi gimmes.

When is the Tour going to let the rough grow?
    I've seen tour rough, it's nuts, 4 inches min. You can't see your shoes. Tiger's working on his driver it's only time. He'll get back to the 2000 level of 78% fairways hit. Then watch out!

Segio was ranked No. 1 in GIR, but near bottom for putting. That's a terrible combination.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    Segio was ranked No. 1 in GIR, but near bottom for putting. That's a terrible combination.
    Sergio is definitely not a good putter, but the stat you cite can be misleading. If you are number 1 in GIR, then by definition you have more opportunities to putt than anyone else. Player A bunkers, gets within 6 feet and makes his putt ranks ahead of Player B who hits the green, lags one from 40 feet and then taps in. Is Player A with his one putt really better than Player B?

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by spackler
    Sergio is definitely not a good putter, but the stat you cite can be misleading. If you are number 1 in GIR, then by definition you have more opportunities to putt than anyone else. Player A bunkers, gets within 6 feet and makes his putt ranks ahead of Player B who hits the green, lags one from 40 feet and then taps in. Is Player A with his one putt really better than Player B?
    Actually, Sergio is also very low on the PPGIR.
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    Actually, Sergio is also very low on the PPGIR.
    Sorry, I was referring to last year where he finished No. 1 in GIR. but 127th in scoring avg. (71.4). It is odd to have more birdies opportunities than anyone else on tour, but barely able convert them.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldred
    Sorry, I was referring to last year where he finished No. 1 in GIR. but 127th in scoring avg. (71.4). It is odd to have more birdies opportunities than anyone else on tour, but barely able convert them.
    Which birdie opportunity would you rather have:
    1) 40 foot putt, or
    2) a "puttable" 10-15 foot from the fringe (not counted in putts per round, nor PPGIR)?

Notice next time you watch TV coverage, how many times these guys are putting from the fringe (or in some cases fairway). Generally, the pin is so close to the fringe that having it stop you is better than landing the middle of the green. (This logic only pertains to PGA level golf.)
    Back at it.

Quote Originally Posted by Started2k3
    Which birdie opportunity would you rather have:
    1) 40 foot putt, or
    2) a "puttable" 10-15 foot from the fringe (not counted in putts per round, nor PPGIR)?

Notice next time you watch TV coverage, how many times these guys are putting from the fringe (or in some cases fairway). Generally, the pin is so close to the fringe that having it stop you is better than landing the middle of the green. (This logic only pertains to PGA level golf.)
    Personally I rather hit the green every chances regardless of the putt length.
    But Garcia did not looked at all his opportunities from 40 feet. He has missed more short putts which has taken him out of the leaderboard many times. He was No. 1 in GIR but 127th in scoring average. I would question his poor putting not the lenght of his putt chances..

Thread Information