CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

What is Honma so expensive?

They have a driver at golfotwn for $1400+tx and they have a set of irons for $5499, fairway wood for $649... who are these people who are buying this stuff???? Holy crap. I thought they were made of solid gold when I saw them.. ahaha

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    I was wondering the same thing. I mean, I had never heard of them. What's the deal with these clubs?

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    who are these people who are buying this stuff????
    the same people that buy $150 J. Lindbergh golf shirts.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

"Richard"
    I was surfing ebay and saw a set go for $1300us and I couldn't believe it so check on golftown to see how much they were worth.. if they even carried them and they did! $5499+tx = $6324.98 how crazy is that.

Lets put this in perspective... I spent ALOT of money on my set...

r7 425 = $575
    cg10s = $586.50
    utility clubs = $368
    irons = $1265
    putter = $402.50
    4w = not sure which one but lets just say $378 (g5)
    Bag = $230
    umbrella = $57.50
    Cart = $287.50
    -------
    $4132 (taxes inc... whipped out my savings from the summer and then some)

$6325 - 4132 = $2193... whoever buys that set can buy my ENTIRE SET and still have enough left over for a membership!!!!!!!!!!! I still can't figure out what is sooo good about this set to justifiy that value!

"Richard"
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    the same people that buy $150 J. Lindbergh golf shirts.
    Jeff, even lacsote shirts are $95, nike is $90, boss is $130, burberry is $199... so $150 for a golf shirt isn't completely retarded (still to expensive for me) but $5499 for a set of irons when the next closest thing is only $1545 (callaway fussions). Does anyone on tour use these? I wounder how they feel.... maybe I should sell all my clubs on ebay and use the moeny to buy these irons... ahahaha

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    sure but there are things called sales. Check out my thread I just posted for shirts at winners.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    they are donald trumps clubs lol
    Proost!

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    "they have a set of irons for $5499"

Only a cheapo would buy those. The top Honma irons list for $33,000 Can.

"Richard"
    OMG!!! $33,000 for irons? Can someone tell me why they are so much??? I mean, is it just "keeping up with the jones" going on here where you buy it just cause its expensive and a status thing? Like the vertu phone that is $55,000???

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    I think there are few threads on Honma. They have real gold as accents and in the ferrules for starters.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    They originated in Japan and are status symbols. The more expensive the better.

Whether they are technically better does not matter.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    They are the Rolex of golf clubs. 'nuff said...
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    For some reason I doubt people who own those clubs spend $2000 on a membership More like $20,000 + a season
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    they spend all the money on clubs lol can you imagine someone with a honma teeing up a top flite hot xl 2000 lol on a broken half tee. priceless
    Proost!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    They are the Rolex of golf clubs. 'nuff said...
    Is the time on my Timex the same as on a Rolex?

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Will a Chevette get you to point a the same as a BMW?

Of course, but I'm willing to bet that you don't drive a Chevette.

When you have the money that these guys have, i.e Donald Trump, you just don't care. You have a status symbol to up hold and you want to have "the best" regardless if they really are. Have you ever seen the inside of Trumps penthouse at Trump towers? It's gold everywhere and is worth A LOT of money but it has to be the ugliest suite I have ever seen. $5000 to these guys is like $50 to us. It's all proportionate.

By the way BC, I love your signature! Very funny, but if everybody on here had Wishon clubs with custom fitted shafts that you approve of would you still have the same signature? I am sure that there are a few guys on here who use OEM clubs and have well known shafts and equipment DO know how to use them, maybe not as well as you, but can still play. And by the way if your smart you can get all those expensive clubs at a very discounted price, probably less or close to what you pay for you Wishon stuff. My entire bag cost around $1000, not bad and that includes the bag itself

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Thats right, its all about stature. Honma clubs are not the nicest looking, or the best performing, but they do say "Honma" on them.
    If you are a multi-millionaire, what's the point of having Titleist clubs, even a average joe uses Honma. But guys like Trump and Marc Anthony buy them as a stature thing. Honma might not even cost more that TM to produce, but by putting a super high price tag, they are marketing to those people who will just buy it cause they can, not cause they necessarily like them the best.

I remember seeing Trump at Pebble on TV and he wasn't even using Honma irons from what i saw, he looked to be playing a TM cavity iron.

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    [quote=davevandyk]Thats right, its all about stature. Honma clubs are not the nicest looking, or the best performing, but they do say "Honma" on them.

Hold on a second, I think I have a gold magic marker here somewhere. O.K. that's spelled H O N M A , humm, that's pretty neat printing, well that's good enough for me. I don't want to say I don't have that kind of money but hell I'm only renting the magic marker. lol

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I would like to know if Golftown has even sold one set of irons!
    Do they even carry them,or are they special order?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

"Richard"
    maybe we should add them to the list of top golf manufac. since they were able to trip idiots to buy their clubs. Who needs a bigger head, farther back CG or moveable weights in the head when you can just quadruple the price of the club and sell it to stupid rich people. Its genius

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    By the way BC, I love your signature! Very funny, but if everybody on here had Wishon clubs with custom fitted shafts that you approve of would you still have the same signature? I am sure that there are a few guys on here who use OEM clubs and have well known shafts and equipment DO know how to use them, maybe not as well as you, but can still play. And by the way if your smart you can get all those expensive clubs at a very discounted price, probably less or close to what you pay for you Wishon stuff.
    Denny,

I agree that there are more and more people buying clubs that are suited for their swings as most retailers offer some sort of "fitting" in the purchase price, length, shaft flex, and lie angle being the most important, and they certainly do not need my "approval" for what they choose. I respect a golfer's right to choose whatever they wish and at whatever price they want to pay, but I must admit it does bother me a little when I see choices that I know are inappropriate for their swings. I selected the Wishon irons because there are as good as any OEM, look and feel great, and because I do my own custom fitting, cost me less than 50% of anything comparable at any retailer, and are better fitted.

You know as well as I do that there is no club or component out there, regardless of the cost, that will eliminate a swing flaw and any help that a club gives to a golfer with a flaw(s), improves it by only mouse farts. My perception, based on listening to golfers over too many years and reading forums like this one, is that a huge number of golfers actually think that their clubs will disproportionately improve their game, without their trying to better their swings. To get better you "gotta dig it out of the dirt."

I spend far more money on equipment than I need or should, but doing the fitting and assembly myself allows me to experiment with various components and thus occasionally offer an opinion if asked. However, if golfers really want to improve, they need to spend their time and money on fixing their golf swings, and that includes me, and I do. I work on some part of my game, winter and summer, every day. Sometimes the effort reaps benefits and sometimes I feel like I am just perfecting my faults. But, in the big scheme of things, the swing is the thing. The clubs are only as good as the swing that is swinging them.

BTW: The only club that I have in that signature is the SRT. Looks like a branding iron, but feels like a hot knife through butter. The "PRICELESS!!!" does not refer to me but to those of YOU, who emphasize improving your swing.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Totally agree that equipment is the least important thing in the golf swing but as a golfer it is one of the most entertaining part of the hobby/sport of golf! I really do find your signatures funny! I also liked the one with the swing qualifications, but I like that sarcastic humour. I have to admit that I got into the equipment part of the game before I got into improving game. Buying and trading clubs is so much easier then scoring well and I think that's why guys do it. They love the game and have a hard time improving so they get addicted to equipment because it keeps them involved with golf. It wasn't until last season that my swing came together where I could hit the ball where and the way I wanted and brought myself down in the single HC to an 8.1. It was also the first time I worked all winter improving my swing and doing drills over and over to get better, funny how the two coincide! This year I hope to bring the old HC down to 5 but it will be tough because I truly think that going from 15-10 is totally different then going from a 10-5! This will be my 6th season of golf, so expecting to be a scratch golfer would be unrealistic but in a couple years................

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Actually, the Timex will probably keep better time, but it doesn't take a year to make, has no 'wow' factor, no gold, and very little prestige .
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    also realize that in japan, people who are avid golfers get to play MAYBE once a month... it's really far, expensive and difficult to book a t-time!! reservations at some public courses have to made a couple months in advance.

so, a rich a guy who might get to play a few times a year will be willing to dish out more money on equipment because he wants to get the most out of his golfing experience as possible...

ps. yamaha also has a line of clubs that are pretty pricey...

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Quote Originally Posted by Thimble

ps. yamaha also has a line of clubs that are pretty pricey...
    I guess they don't limit themselves to just motorbikes and electric pianos?
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Special order but we have demos. In Hamilton, we have sold one set of cheapo $5400 irons and a few $1100 drivers.

Hall of Fame MusicMan is on a distinguished road MusicMan's Avatar
    I played with those clubs for a round last year... the $6000 set 3-pw. UNBELIEVABLE!! not only are they longer than any iron I have ever hit in my life! but they are softer than any ping any mizuno any titleist or any taylormade club i have ever tried!my yardages we so messed up i think i shot 100 but not because of way ward shot, but becuase i kept flying the greens! if I had that kind of money i would DEFINATLY be playing those clubs! too bad the driver isnt legal or i would play that too!

JP

Bogie Marmotte is on a distinguished road Marmotte's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    .... who are these people who are buying this stuff???? Holy crap. I thought they were made of solid gold when I saw them.....
    They actually are color co-ordinated with the interior of your Hummer, and have a very sporty look when you have the right Firethorn shirt...
    Unfortunately, the swing is not included, you have to get it from your local CPGA coach.
    [COLOR=Sienna][SIZE=2][FONT=Palatino Linotype]If you bury my ashes on a golf course, just make sure that they are out of bounds, that will be a natural continuation to my life[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Putter Sheldon is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Honma Golf Club Queries Regarding Woods Quality

Good evening gentlemen,

I was reading a lot of the earlier postings in regards to Honma Golf Clubs and the pricing issues related to the product. I am originally from Alberta but moved to Thailand about 4 1/2 years ago. I had never even heard of Honma until I went golfing with a couple of Thai Businessmen and they were using the irons. I never actually gave them a second glance until I unfortunatly broke the shafts in my Ping Woods.

Now comes the battle of Thailand in respect to being a left handed golfer. I could not get the Ping woods repaired after several attempts. I then started looking at different clubs and ran across the Honma Dealership in Thania Plaza in BKK. The Honma Rep was actually at the shop at the time and I managed to get a set of the Twin Marks 425 Woods c/w Stiff Shafts. The cost was basically $2000.00 Usd. (It is a complete nightmare to try to find any left handed clubs in this part of Asia)

I had played with Ping for a long time but the Honma Woods I purchased are fantastic from my point of view. I am in agreement that they are definietly pricy, and I would never pay 5000.00 for a set of irons, etc.

A word on the shafts. The woods have excellent quality shafts, but the stiff flex in Japan is not the same as in Canada and you may need to go one step further to the X Shafts dependant on your particular skill level, etc. I have been playing these clubs for two years now and get in well over a hundred rounds a year and am extremely happy with them as I stated earlier.

Finally in comparison I was actually going to buy another Driver the Taylor Made R7 TP c/w Fujikura Stiff Shaft from Golftown in Canada last year and that price tag I was quoted was about $900.00 Cdn for the driver alone? Not really that far off the Honma I purchased for an individual club.

Hope this helps a bit. I am in agreement they are priced high and I am also not sure who buys the very high end sets, but the Asians over here do like this particular line and it is very popular, and the quality is very good in respect to other brands. I personally have Taylor Made LT Racs for my Irons, and I am happy with that choice.

Regards, Sheldon

Putter Sheldon is on a distinguished road

Thumbs up Honma Woods Data Re-Inserted

Gentlemen,

Sorry but I got the actual Model of my Honma Woods wrong in the previous reply. Should of stated Honma Twin Marks 420RF 9 Degree Titanium Driver c/w matching 3 & 5 Woods with Stiff Shafts.

I highly reccommend them if someone is looking at alternate brands within the same price range? Quality is excellent.

Regards, Sheldon
    Last edited by Sheldon; 10-31-2006 at 08:24 AM. Reason: Mis-spelled word.

Thread Information