100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Thumbs down Tiger Woods' $2 million fee has increased ticket prices ten-fold at New Zeland Open

WELLINGTON, NEW ZEALAND (AP) -
    Michael Campbell is threatening to boycott the New Zealand Open because ticket prices have soared as organizers bid to recoup $2 million US in appearance money demanded by Tiger Woods.

Tiger Woods' $2 million fee has increased ticket prices ten-fold.
    New Zealand's top golfer was reported Wednesday to be disgusted over the $205 price of a weeklong spectator ticket, as is fellow Kiwi Greg Turner.

A weeklong pass last year cost $20.50.

Turner said the suggested prices were a "gross insult" to local fans.

Campbell and compatriot Steve Williams, Woods' caddie, were instrumental in enticing the world No. 1 player to play in New Zealand a week after the PGA Tour opener in Hawaii.

Williams, who grew up near the Paraparaumu Beach course that will plays host to the Jan. 10-13 New Zealand Open, is also part of a group sponsoring the event.

But Campbell, the 2000 New Zealand Open champion who has agreed to play for no appearance fee, said he'd pull out unless the price of tickets is reduced.

"The New Zealand Open is for all New Zealanders and they should not be priced out of going to it," he said. "It is great that Tiger Woods is playing, but his presence should not mean young New Zealanders can't go to Paraparaumu."

Campbell soared to prominence in 1995 by leading the British Open at St. Andrews after three rounds in his rookie season before falling back in the field.

$2 million just to show up?! That is absolutely absurd.

My hat is off to Michael Campbell for making this statement. Tiger may be a draw for sponsors and the like, so charge them the big bucks when Tiger signs on and demands pails of cash to show off his teeth. Keep the ticket affordable.

I am not sure what the winner gets, but I doubt it is anywhere near $2 million. I realize that Tiger is a phenom and the best draw you could have, but this is getting way out of hand. A player should not get more than the first prize just for being there.

Opinions?

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar

appearance money isn't new...

Yes, I agree that ticket prices are ridiculous at $205. This is a crime. I hope enough people boycott, so that the organizers realize what a boneheaded move that was. If the sponsors want to shell out $2M for Tiger, they can't expect to re-coup the entire amount from joe fan. Perhaps you can get away with that in New York, or some place where people have money to burn, but that's only a few places out of hundreds of golf tournaments.

Lets's do the math. Say 20,000 people show up for each day and an additional 20,000 people that don't show up for all the days. Figure 40,000 people paying $20 = $800,000. If you multiply that by 10 ($205 vs. $20.50)... that's $8,000,000. Out of this Tiger gets $2,000,000. Hmmmm.... somebody's making a killing and it's not Tiger's fault. Also, the purse for the championship is probably $2,000,000. $800,000 of entrance fees doesn't cover that.

No, I don't think that appearance money is all of a sudden out of hand. It's been that way for years. All the top players have been getting $100k, $200K etc for years as appearance money. If you call up the agents for Els, Mickelson, Duval, Montgomerie etc. you'll see that their appearance money has gotten out fo hand too.

2c

spidey

I do not really have a problem with appearence fees per-say. I thought it was out of hand when Tiger got $1million to play in Germany.

$100k - $200k is a nothing compared to a $2,000,000 appearence fee.

One should not make more than first place money for just showing up.

Smile wait... uh, yep

claryifying.... I think appearance money has been out of hand for a long while and still is. It's been a couple of years since it was in the $200K range, I bet its up in the $500 and up range now, and Tiger is just demanding double what the next highest guy gets. That tells me that a non-Tiger golfer has asked for $1M recently, and perhaps gotten it.

As far as appearance money is concerned, I think a better formula would be tied to the draw. In other words, if Tiger comes to the tourney, and an extra $1.5M worth of people show up to see him, then Tiger should share in that. I don't agree that the ticket prices should go up, just because he's coming. I also don't agree that he should get guaranteed appearance money that's not tied to his ability to draw the people in.

In fact, Tiger already has more money than he could ever spend. It's his agents (IMG, I think) that handle all this dickering over money. It's their job to milk as much money out of an opportunity as possible. Too bad they're so good at it.

The purpose of purses and prize money is to attract the best golfer to your tournament. Now that Tiger has proven that nobody is in his league when he's on, first place money has lost some of that meaning. Whether he wins first place or not, he's the world's best golfer, and will be for a long time. Of course, I feel much better about him getting the money when he actually wins the tournament, but... .

spidey

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar
    Tiger Woods received a $2 million appearance fee in March for the Dubai Desert Classic (European Tour event). The TOTAL prize money was $1.5 million.

Thomas Bjorn won $249,990 for first place and Tiger Woods won $166,665 (plus the $2 million) for second place.

Woods lost the tournament when he hit it into the water on the 18th hole. Was he mad? He didn't seem to be. How hard was he trying? I am afraid to guess.

The whole situation reflects badly on the integrity of the tournament. It is supposed to be a competition not an exhibition.

The organizers have decided to let kids 16 and under in free. Michael Campbell has called off his boycott, and will now play.

For $200+ I still would not attend. It will be interesting to see just how full the galleries are.

RulesNut Gary Hill is on a distinguished road Gary Hill's Avatar

Angry

I have lost all respect for Michael Campbell. He did not set up his boycott because of exorbitant ticket prices for children only. He has caved in without the tickets prices being changed by one cent.

Having committed himself to not playing unless ticket prices were reduced, he should have stuck to his guns.

Makes you wonder if he set up a side deal for himself.

yes, I completely agree....

It's highly unlikely that the organizers ever expected kids to pay $200 to get in.

Michael Campbell has been duped, or was never sincere in the first place.

:mad:

Scratch Player Gobble_It is on a distinguished road Gobble_It's Avatar
    If the organizer think they can pull off by increasing the price..good for them.
    A true golf fan would pay 200$ to see any top players not just Tiger ...if not let the fans decide. Michael Campbell just got upset because he doesn't command that kind of fee anywhere !

Hey we have to pay 200$ to see U2 here so why not Tiger !...It's all entertainment value.

Big_duck
    $205 for a weeklong pass isn't that bad really; how much for a week long pass at the Canadian Open? or the US Open or god forbid the Masters? I think $20 for all week at what should be your nations premier golf event is a great deal!!

Wow, talk about digging up old threads! That's from 2001!
    I guess the new "similar threads" list is getting some attention.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    1000% increase in ticket price is absurd. It’s no different then paying $150 to watch 40 NHL cry babies play 60 minutes. Money spent in sporting events is getting out of hand and it’s the fans that are paying the price. The sky is the limit and they will reach it one day.

Not all true golf fans have the money to attend these expensive events especially the kids.
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    It is not 100% Tiger's fault, it was the organizers that paid the $2 million! I don't agree with appearance fees at all, but if there are people willing to pay you $2 million, why pass it up!

Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road
    You know Tiger is talked about a lot on forums when 4 year old threads are popping up about him
    http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Quote Originally Posted by dasnutz
    It is not 100% Tiger's fault, it was the organizers that paid the $2 million! I don't agree with appearance fees at all, but if there are people willing to pay you $2 million, why pass it up!
    I don’t blame Tiger or any other players that accept appearance fees. I would not decline such an offer. I blame the Tour. They should not allow appearance fees. The fans end up paying the money.

The tour should force the players to attend every tournament at least once every X number of years.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    it's not a PGA tour event so they have no say

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    it's not a PGA tour event so they have no say
    I know but they still do it on the PGA. They did at Doral.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Wow, talk about digging up old threads! That's from 2001!
    I guess the new "similar threads" list is getting some attention.
    My thoughts exactly, I was about to wade into the debate until I realized this is long old news. Next thing you know he'll be thinking about settling down with that blonde girl who still hasn't started her job as an au paire

8 Iron leftee is on a distinguished road leftee's Avatar
    Appearance fees should be banned. This kind of thing will destroy the game. It's funny, golf takes pride in the fact it's the ony sport where the player will rat himself out for things that happen on the course. Too bad they dont have the same moral standards when it comes to this.

Andru
    HAHA this is and old thread. 2001 haha. Fantastic

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Anyone remember the movie Happy Gilmore?

Thats exactly whats going to happen to golf.Tiger is changing the game.
    Like it or not,he sells.
    Wont be long before the gallery is doing the wave!Banners will be up,and blow horns
    will be the next big annoyance!
    Personnaly i hate it,but tiger sells,so the sponsars call the shots.
    2 million is just a start,it will get worse.
    200.00 for the week is high,but how much were tickets for the bell open?
    I dont know,but i bet they were insane!
    Just my opinion.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Thread Information