100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Re Gripping

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road

Re Gripping

I was shown a little trick yesterday for regripping clubs. The guy that showed me this does 100's or re grips in a season as he does repairs for the local golf store. He doesn't do this on all of the clubs he re grips, just on ones that guys want thin grips.

If you do not want any buildup of tape under your grips you simply use about 1 inch of tape at the top of the shaft, just enough to get the grip started over and fold down into the butt of the shaft.

Solvent the grip up, pour it onto the shaft and get that grip on and aligned quickly. You have a lot less time to line the grip up as the solvent dries up quicker on a shaft than it does on tape.

I tried it, it works fine, but like I said you have to be quick!

It would make the re gripping job a lot easier, hardly any tape to strip off.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Sand Wedge rob is on a distinguished road
    I've seen OEM equipment where little tape is used under the stock grip. This is been mosly on putters, so I assumed in high torque situations - drivers, irons and fairway woods, that this would not be a good thing.

One wrap of tape is not noticable to me, but I'm not picky about this sort of thing.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I have recently purchased a used set of irons, and they have been regripped. On each iron, there is about 1/2" of old tape residue exposed. Is this the mark of a lazy re-gripping? Is this just cosmetic, or will it affect the durability? The irons are titleist 704.cb and the new grips are lambkin crossline. Any comments appreciated.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    If I read this right, it's just a half-inch of tape sticking out of the bottom of the grip towards the club head. It just sounds like they cut there strips to longs, so if your shafts are steel, get a sharp knife and just cut the excess tape off. You could always pull off the grips and re do it yourself, but if it's just some tape sticking out.... cut it off! If it's something else then I must have read it wrong!

3 Wood THUNDAH is on a distinguished road
    I can understand getting one done wrong, but a whole set? It is a mark of careless workmanship. It wont affect play but it probably gives them a refugee look. My apologies to the refugees.
    He who hits last, walks alone

I think you have it right, dbleber. It looks like old tape residue. I am going to attack it tonight with the 3m pad, hot water and dish soap and possibly a utility knife. These irons have to be mint for opening day.

If it is the sticky residue the it's easy. Get some Goo Gone, paper towel and some elbow gease. Put a fair amount of Goo Gone on there and let it sit for about a minute and then put a wee bit on the paper towel and start rubbing. It should come right off and the sticks will loke nice ptretty for opening day!

Sand Wedge rob is on a distinguished road
    Opening day???? Do your golf courses in Canada close during winter?

In NY we have courses that never close. I played Sunday in 22 degree (farenheit scale) weather! I hit a nice wedge into #4 green from about 60 yards (?? meters) and it bounced off the green about 30 feet (?? meters) just like it hit a cart path.

If it was not for the 5 iron shaft I broke trying to get around an nasty oak, I would have had a great day.

pic?

Here's a pic of the tape

I would use an utility knife and scrape it off, if the shafts are DG then they won't scratch up, if they are Projext X or accra's then I would worry about the finish. Nayways, scrape it off and then take some goo gone and remove the residue and left over peices. Shouldn't take to long.

Quote Originally Posted by rob
    Opening day???? Do your golf courses in Canada close during winter?

In NY we have courses that never close. I played Sunday in 22 degree (farenheit scale) weather! I hit a nice wedge into #4 green from about 60 yards (?? meters) and it bounced off the green about 30 feet (?? meters) just like it hit a cart path.

If it was not for the 5 iron shaft I broke trying to get around an nasty oak, I would have had a great day.

There is a HUGE difference between winter in Ottawa and winter in NY!!! A winter in NY is almost like our fall. I flew out of Rochester this year and I was shocked at how green everything was on my way down. I saw a course open and couldn't believe it. To put things into prospective, tomorrow it will be -7 here but with the wind chill it will be -27! Nevermind the 3 feet of snow thats on the courses, that's COLD!!!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Here's a pic of the tape
    One full turn with a tube cutter with very light pressure just below the grip will take care of it. BTW the other day I was at Canadian Tire in the automotive section and they sell professional adhesive and label remover. Wrote down the code but could not find it on their web site.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    I was shown a little trick yesterday for regripping clubs. The guy that showed me this does 100's or re grips in a season as he does repairs for the local golf store. He doesn't do this on all of the clubs he re grips, just on ones that guys want thin grips.

If you do not want any buildup of tape under your grips you simply use about 1 inch of tape at the top of the shaft, just enough to get the grip started over and fold down into the butt of the shaft.

Solvent the grip up, pour it onto the shaft and get that grip on and aligned quickly. You have a lot less time to line the grip up as the solvent dries up quicker on a shaft than it does on tape.

I tried it, it works fine, but like I said you have to be quick!

It would make the re gripping job a lot easier, hardly any tape to strip off.

You could use a compressor for that purpose and it would be a lot faster and not have to worry about putting enough solvent. I started using a compressor this year and although I screwed up one job( I was in a haste and did not check the finished product before the clubs left my place-my bad-never again))Like anything though it takes practice and I am getting a lot better at both putting them on and removing them. You just got to make sure that they are seated all the way down. You can see a video of grips installed with a compressor on the Star grips website. Those grips are excellent but only available through 2 suppliers in Canada. Now that I am getting better here is what I would recommend. .580 grips on .600 shafts. If not 2 wraps of masking tape and they won't budge. As far as being people worrying about the grips twisting I can only say that bike handles have no tape and they are often installed/removed with a compressor.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Ever tried regripping with hair spray? That'll make them tacky.
    http://www.ehow.com/how_117918_repla...tain-bike.html
    Mahatma Gandhi

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Hair Spray, interesting. Has anyone tried that on a golf club?
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfbum
    Hair Spray, interesting. Has anyone tried that on a golf club?
    I am being told it's being used on clear grips.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I used hairspray and/or dish soap on my mountain bike grips, the hairspray worked best.

The clubs are clean and shiny with no trace of refugee to them at all now.

Thread Information