100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

Buying a new driver for my brother, need some help

Hey guys. I was going to get myself to r7 425 but decided against it because I want to go get custom fit and tested to see what suits me best. I wish I could do this for my brother as well but I really want to surprise him with the new driver. Can anyone think of a way to get him tested which doesn't basically tell him "hey you are getting a new driver"? He swings about 90mph and his wrists are about 33.5 inches from the ground. His miss hits are slices and other than that he has a pretty good swing. Doesn’t get as much head speed as he could if he took a few lessons, worked out a bit more or leave the club head behind the hands on his downswing…so I think I can get him up to at least 100mph.

I was thinking 10.5 or 11.5 driver head. No clue about the shaft stiffness or other shaft characteristics

His ball flight seems a bit flat; most of his drivers carry less and roll more than mine.

I could go with something with a pro launch shaft maybe? If someone could explain to me what soft tip, firm tip, mid kick and all this stuff means and how it effects the ball flight, it might help me figure out what exactly to get him. Thanks for the help in advance

Maybe I can take him to GT and get the fitting guy to be standing close by to us and maybe watch a few swings and tell me what he things after? I only have 2 weeks to get this done Since it is his 30th birthday, I want to get amazing so price doesn't really matter. If you pick a $700 shaft, I'll consider it, if you recomend a TP version of a taylormade club, I'll consider it. Big day for him

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    how about you find a driver that he has been talking about, that he wants and then take him to get custom fit with a shaft. A $50 shaft mine work just as well for him as a $300. I would just get him a good driver, go in and talk to a GT guy about what you just explained to us and he can set you up with a head with the stock shaft, then you can get him custom fit.

"Richard"
    thats a great idea, should I get him something in 10, 10.5, 11, 11.5?? I'm thinking 11.5, maybe the g2 or the g5.... I hope he likes it. If I did go to GT and get it and have him tested and have him ustom fit for a shaft, how much do you think it would cost? Just an estimate? How about an estimate on the high end?

"Richard"
    Actually you know what, he is probably going to have this driver for a really really long time since I doubt they are going to come out with other kind of new tech. in driver heards. They are pretty much as good as they are going to get now, the only thing that can come out next is a 460cc driver with 4 screws, I know there are a few 2 screw ones out already. I should just take him with me when I book his fitting. Let him know we are there to pick him a driver, and shaft and let him pick whatever he wants. I still get to see the look on his face when I tell him what we are doing there...

Thread Information