100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sand Wedge SMT-Boy is on a distinguished road

low spin shaft for SMT 02? Advice...

Hi

I have a new SMT 02 head on the way and I hoping to find a shaft that will cut down on the amount of spin I put on the ball as I hit it extremely high. I spent a great deal of time on a launch monitor this summer and my typical swing speed was around 109 (105 to 124), launch angle 16 to 18 degrees, ball speed 150-168mph and 3500-4500rpms or more. On the course my drives are usually between 275 and 320 and straight. Not much to complain about except that I get outdriven by guys hitting 5 woods into the wind on breezy days! My swing is quite long and fast but without a ton of load and perhaps a bit of an early release. I think I am more of a swinger than a hitter. I currently play an SMT Nemisis 9degrees with an Aerotech Steelfiber SS85 shaft in stiff flex at 44 or 43.75 length. I love the feel but not the trajectory. I have worked on hitting the ball high on the face which has resulted in some big drives (2 over 375yds) however that is inconsisent. In the past I have played a Penley Stealth (R flex with a frequency of 278cpm), a steel X-100 and a Rifle 7.0 which hit the ball flatter but felt pretty harsh. I was able to test several shafts this summerbut only your typical OEM stuff and they all spin more than my current set up. I have tried Aldila NV's (65S) in several clubs (including the new Cobra 105mph+ model) and they give me more spin, Prolaunch (S) spins like a wedge, I have hit the Graffalloy Blue in stiff but I find it harsh. The best results I have been able to get were with the Ping G2 8 degree with the stock Ping shaft in Stiff flex which gave me a spin rate of around 2200rpms (some under 2K), 12-14 degree launch, 160mph+ ball speed and distances of 305-319 on the launch monitor. I have tried to get a pullout of this shaft but it is a .350 tip which is too big. I have not been able to find out who makes Ping's OEM shaft. Does anyone know?

The shafts I am considering are:

Accuflex Evo (R flex base on the reviews)
    Aggressive nRage (S flex...anyone played this one?)
    Fujikara Vista 80 (S flex)
    Mercury Tour Pro Kevlar (S?)
    Aggressive Golf Frenzy 80
    Graffalloy Prolite 35 (S)
    UST Proforce V2 75 (XS...this might spin alot though?)

Basically I want a good feeling, low spinning shaft. Your advice would be appreciated as I have been trying to solve this issue for about 15yrs!

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I am nowhere close to your swing speed and distance, but I also hit the ball high and I'm always looking at shafts to bring down the trajectory. The most successful to date have been the True Temper BiMatrx Rxi (the original one, not the Rocket), the Aldila NV and the Grafalloy Blue. BTW most people prefer the Blue in regular flex regardless of what they play in their other clubs, so if you liked the numbers from the Blue you might want to try an R flex.

It is my understanding that the head is much more important than the shaft in determining the amount of spin. I have tried several versions of the Nemesis at 9*, and none of them hit lower than my 10* Bangenstein.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Pitching Wedge clubfixer is on a distinguished road clubfixer's Avatar
    I have had quite a few players respond very well to the Graphite Design YS 7. Although you are only talking about a 1º effect on launch angle when comes to shafts, these guys saw a significant difference in trajectory with the GD YS 7's. We tipped them on the stiff side a little, as the softer side will yield a higher flight. Good luck.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Play it as it lies...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Smile

Thank you both for the replies...I will give the Blue a shot in R if I can find one to demo in the area. Have not hit a Bang head yet...will give one a shot when I get the chance.

I was looking at the Graphite Design 7+ as well. I have not hit thier shafts but have heard good things and I like the weight. How much did you tip them? Would you recommend an stiff or an xtra-stiff? I don't want to feel like I have to swinghard all the time as I like to work the ball a fair bit as well.

Thanks for the advice.

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Your launch angle is much too high for that ball speed.. maybe find something with a high flex point and low torque as you have lots of club head speed..
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Quote Originally Posted by SMT-Boy
    Thank you both for the replies...I will give the Blue a shot in R if I can find one to demo in the area. Have not hit a Bang head yet...will give one a shot when I get the chance.

I was looking at the Graphite Design 7+ as well. I have not hit thier shafts but have heard good things and I like the weight. How much did you tip them? Would you recommend an stiff or an xtra-stiff? I don't want to feel like I have to swinghard all the time as I like to work the ball a fair bit as well.

Thanks for the advice.
    Thats a question where the answer is full of ambiguity. I tip all the shafts based on frequency readings relevant to the players swing speed, tempo and his endless other desires after SPINEing and FLOing, which can alter the readings.

Simply put, the recommended tip trim guidelines are just that, guidelines. I don't think I have come across two alike shafts. So, if you are investing that much $$$ in a shaft and do not have a frequency meter, find someone who does and sweet talk them into a use of it.

I don't want to be short in my response; however, that is a tuff question and maybe others can expand a little for you on the guess work of trimming guidelines.

Good Luck

Decided to go with the Proforce V2 66g X stiff based upon reviews, feedback and some testing at Golftown. Will work on a shallower angle of attack as well.

Great Choice. I just switched out one of the local Pro's TM V Steel with a 350 tip Proforce 65 to get him a lower ball flight. He loves it!

Thread Information