100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    "Richard"

How do you get your spin rate down???

I found something interesting on the net. They were talking about how the guys on tour have gained so much yardage over the past few years and how its has to do with new equipment, balls, swing mechanics and other things and I came across these numbers. The first thing I noticed different about my numbers and these guys’ numbers are the spin rates. It’s the only thing that has significantly different that I can see... I’m sure they have a higher ball speed because they hit it in the sweet spot every time but my swing speed is probably around 105-110 right now. So other than hitting the ball in the sweet spot, how do you put less back spin on the ball with a driver? I’ve seen other stats where guy with a swing speed of 103, a launch angle of 13 and another guy with the same numbers had a huge difference in their total distance because one guy had less spin…

Last I checked at GT my spin rate was around 4500+
    THanks

VIJAY SINGHDriving distance1997: 280.92003: 308.9Clubhead speed:113 mphBall speed: 176 mphLaunch angle:10.7 degreesBall spin: 2,600 rpmDriver: TaylorMadeR510, 9.5 degreesBall: Titleist Pro V1x

+34 YARDS

PETER LONARDDriving distance1997: 259.22003: 293.5Clubhead speed:111 mphBall speed: 168 mphLaunch angle:11.7 degreesBall spin: 2,673 rpmDriver: TaylorMadeR580, 8.5 degreesBall: Callaway CTU 30

+24 YARDS

ROBERT ALLENBYDriving distance1997: 276.62003: 300.3Clubhead speed:112 mphBall speed: 161 mphLaunch angle:8.5 degreesBall spin: 2,390 rpmDriver: TaylorMadeR580, 8.5 degreesBall: Srixon Hi-Brid Tour

+24 YARDS

PHIL MICKELSONDriving distance1997: 284.12003: 308.0Clubhead speed:120 mphBall speed: 178 mphLaunch angle:13 degreesBall spin: 2,200 rpmDriver: Titleist 983K,8.5 degreesBall: Titleist Pro V1x

+48 YARDS

ERNIE ELSDriving distance1997: 271.62003: 319.6Clubhead speed:118 mphBall speed: 174 mphLaunch angle:11.5 degreesBall spin: 2,400 rpmDriver: Titleist 983K,8.5 degreesBall: Titleist Pro V1x

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Ya that spin rate is WAY to high for you. You should be looking for a spin rate around 2,500 with a launch angle of about 11-14*. Spin rate is a huge deal, i am going to Artisan and getting fitted for a driver in a week and will try to remember to post my stats.

There are many ways that you can get it down, some driver heads spin less, like the B'Stone J33 460 for example. I believe there are shafts that spin less as well. I would suggest just getting on the launch monitor again and try different driver heads until one fits the closest to the ideal numbers. If i am not mistaken, i believe certain balls will spin less as well, like the Nike One Platinum.

That's a really low launch angle for Allenby!!

"Richard"
    This sports just gets more and more expensive... Lessons to get a lower spin rate, driver head to get lower spin rates, shaft to get a lower spin rate, ball to get lower spin rates... Why do I love it so much? hahaha

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    This sports just gets more and more expensive... Lessons to get a lower spin rate, driver head to get lower spin rates, shaft to get a lower spin rate, ball to get lower spin rates... Why do I love it so much? hahaha
    haha, i would not get lessons to lower the spin rate. There is enough equipment out there that you can find a club to fit your swing, not vice versa. Its crazy expensive, but you never know, just hitting a new ball might drop the spin rate a couple hundred revs. I know that the B'Stone is one of the lowest spinning heads out there.

Andru
    thotho remember this line it's infesting your golf game.

"Paralysis from Analysis" just go out and play.

For the record. there's lot's of reasons your spin rate is too high. Here's a few.

- Swing related. Too steep and your chopping at the ball in stead of drivign through it.
    - to much loft on your driver. ( this is rarely the case )
    - shaft is too soft ( also very rare )
    - shaft kick point is too low.

You're 105-110? that's 5 mph. Not very consisitent. When VJ says his CB speed is 113. That's probably a tolerence of 1 mph. at 5 mph it means your action is not quite there.

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    For the record. there's lot's of reasons your spin rate is too high. Here's a few.

- Swing related. Too steep and your chopping at the ball in stead of drivign through it.
    - to much loft on your driver. ( this is rarely the case )
    - shaft is too soft ( also very rare )
    - shaft kick point is too low.
    Ditto what Andru just posted.

When I get a case of the "I suck" off the tee with the driver, it's usually from coming in too steep. Imagine a weak slice.

When I'm swinging well/properly, I come into the ball nice and level to upward. Imagine a long, straight tee shot with perhaps the slightest fade or draw.

Changing equipment to fix spin will cost you a lot of money with very little return.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    "Paralysis from Analysis"
    Perhaps the real problem is "Paralysis From Incorrect Analysis."

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Perhaps the real problem is "Paralysis From Incorrect Analysis."
    Since it's winter, I stand corrected.

During the golf season however I think any kind of analysis during your swing will cause paralysis.

"Richard"
    I would love to be playing right now, and when I do play (the last few rounds) I played went pretty low because my mind was clear but since its the off seaons, might as well use this time to think of all the thinks I don't want to think about when the season starts

Thanks for the help guys

Thread Information