CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Richard"

New toys in interested in buying.. need feedback

Looking to pick up the r7 425 but thinking of maybe holding off until the 460cc dual weight r7 comes out... I hit the r7 425, its amazing, the new fuji shaft is awesome! Same shaft in the r7 460. Any thoughts?

Need a 5 wood as well, don't like my g5 5 wood anymore. Finally, looking for a new belly putter, i was thinking belly blade, maybe a cameron... but I might go back to a voodoo daddy putter by never compromise (celveland). Was looking at the new TaylorMade Rac Black TP Wedge, I like them better than my ping MB wedges. I'm probably a 15 handicap, drives are pretty straight and long (270-290), putting is good as well, most of my problems come from under 100yards and over 200 yards out of the fairway

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Well it depends what you are looking for in a driver. Since the 460 is bigger, it will allow for more forgiveness, but it will not be as easy to work the ball as the 425. The 425 has 4 different weight ports, whereas the 460 only has 2 ports, so again, the 460 will be more difficult to work the ball with.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

R7 425

Hey Thotho, the R7 is a different animal, if you play too much with the weights you can really screw with your swing. I tried with not much benefit. I ended up adjusting the settings to my natural tendencies and that has worked out very well.

Just another note, I went to GT and tried all the demo drivers extensively and I still hit an R7 the straightest and furthest. I think it is a quality driver and with the improvements, it should be even better.

Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

"Richard"
    hey lefty, I tried the 425 and its awesome. I'm just thinking, if I'm never going to mess around with the weights, is it worth it to drop $575 on a driver that you are never going to use to its fullest?

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    I am thinking if you already have a G5 the r7 technology isn't any better....
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

"Richard"
    I have the g2 (had the g2).. but I really do hit the r7 much better, maybe its the smaller head, maybe its the shaft, maybe its the new inverted cone tech in the club head... but is there any other club that does all that without the weights? why pay for something you are never going to use (wieghts)

Well I am not sure how many guys agree with me here but I believe a driver is 90% shaft... Its like your car.. its all about the engine.. For me I like to find a head that fits my eye and that I like the feel of then its all about the shaft... I would highly recommend being fitted for the proper shaft.. I really think thats where you should spend the money..

"Richard"
    Its so funny that you mentioned that because yesterday i went to GT in toronto and the guy at the front said they couldn't fit me for a shaft today but it was pointless since I'm a 13-16 hcp, he said he himself is a 5 and there is no point being fitted on a vector machine cause unless you are scratch you don't swing it the same everytime and it would do you know good. TOld me to hit a few drivers in the simulator and he would read the numbers and tell him based on that which was best for me...

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    Its so funny that you mentioned that because yesterday i went to GT in toronto and the guy at the front said they couldn't fit me for a shaft today but it was pointless since I'm a 13-16 hcp, he said he himself is a 5 and there is no point being fitted on a vector machine cause unless you are scratch you don't swing it the same everytime and it would do you know good. TOld me to hit a few drivers in the simulator and he would read the numbers and tell him based on that which was best for me...
    Are you serious?
    I think any reputable and knowlegable salesperson would be awestruck at
    those comments.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron
    Well I am not sure how many guys agree with me here but I believe a driver is 90% shaft... Its like your car.. its all about the engine.. For me I like to find a head that fits my eye and that I like the feel of then its all about the shaft... I would highly recommend being fitted for the proper shaft.. I really think thats where you should spend the money..
    Sounds like someone has been hit by the Accra bug! I think the same way and it really opened my eyes to see what a properly fit shaft along with awsome technology can do.

Sounds like someone was hoping he spotted a sucker and was trying to make a little commission. Find a head that you like and get fitted by a professional clubmaker who offers lots of shafts and you will see the light.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Sounds like someone was hoping he spotted a sucker and was trying to make a little commission. Find a head that you like and get fitted by a professional clubmaker who offers lots of shafts and you will see the light.
    I was just wondering, i am planning on getting custom fit for a driver including the shaft. Couldn't you go and get launch monitor results which will allow you to not only find the right shaft for you, but the right head as well? That might be incorrect because one shaft might be right in one head, but not in another head.

I guess what i am asking is, if i am in the market for one of a couple driver heads, can Artisan golf tell me what head and shaft combo would be the best for me?

"Richard"
    Good question dave, I was actually thinking that as well. I dont think he was trying to sell me anything because I buy from these guys all the time, he knows I usually just end up going with the most expensive of the options offered to me, only to come back next year and buy osmething new after selling it on ebay or in this channel.. ahahah. If he is wrong, like you all say he is, then I will go back on sunday and get fitted for the right shaft. I couldn't imagine hitting anything better than that r7 with that new shaft however. I was out driving the g5 he put in my hand by an average of 20 yards on the good hits. Even when I looked at the taped up face and saw the ball impressions, they were off centre. I didn't know this but the sweet spot of a club isn't actually right in the middle of the circle on the face of the club, its just a few CM about that...

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    thotho, you should check out the thread that was started a few days ago regarding clubs with weights in them (sorry, i don't have a link, can't remember where it was in the forum)...some interesting views regarding the actual effectivness of weights were shared (with a few links to articles aswell).

Although drivers are very much up to personal preference, I've got to say try the 580XD. IMO the 580XD is miles ahead of the R7, it feels better, goes LONG, and is alot cheaper ...I'm still considering swapping out my G5 for one.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

You can get fit for a head to... Artisan sells KZG heads.. and let me tell you I hit there new head and it felt awsome... What don does is has you hit your driver.. and then a bunch of others.. Really all the head does is give you the loft... Then hes gonna couple that with a shaft that will optomize your launch conditions (launch angle...ball speed.. side spin)

You can get fit for a head to... Artisan sells KZG heads.. and let me tell you I hit there new head and it felt awsome... What don does is has you hit your driver.. and then a bunch of others.. Really all the head does is give you the loft... Then hes gonna couple that with a shaft that will optomize your launch conditions (launch angle...ball speed.. side spin)
    So what you are saying is that if i want like a TM or B'Stone head, then i need to buy the head first, then have Don fit the shaft to the head and my swing?

I would say thats the best route..cause then he sees the results of you hitting that head and can match it up with a shaft for you.. I think you would be happy with the results

I would say thats the best route..cause then he sees the results of you hitting that head and can match it up with a shaft for you.. I think you would be happy with the results
    Sorry last question. Would i need to buy a head with any shaft in it so that i could test it, or can i just buy the head and he can throw a shaft in there?

Hmm theres a thought.. I would think it would be beneficial to have a shaft in the head for comparison purposes.. I would email or call Don at Artisan and see what he says.. best of luck.. let me know how you make out...

I'll throw my 2 cents in here but I am by NO means an expert in custom fitting!!! From my own experience the head is pretty irrelevant, as long as it is a high quality haed they are pretty much made of the same stuff with the CG being maybe a little diiferent but that's about it. I think that the head has to be something that you like to look at, something that makes you feel as if you can bomb it 300+ yrds. Once you get the head with the best warm and fuzzy then the real magic begins and you find that shaft that has been waiting for you. Dave, I'm sure you have hit your fair share of shaft head combos to have a good idea of what you are looking for and what you like and don't like. Take that knowledge to Artisan and compare it to the numbers on the monitor, I found that what I already knew wasn't for me wasn't. As for taking a head to him, you would have to call him but I can't see him doing an install and then a re shafting for free just so you can try a shaft with your head. The most important thing is to try clubs with different lofts and different sahfts. IMO I did it ass backwards and bought the head first. This meant I was stuck with that loft and then had to find the shaft that would bring me as close as possible to my best launch. Go in there and try all the different lofts and shaft combos and then by a head ( as long as the lofts are accurate, unlike PING!) that gave you the best launch and have your perfect shaft installed in it. You should know by now that Accra has a 30 day playablity warranty anyways so if you don't like that shaft after it is installed they will get you another one!

"Richard"
    who or what is Accra and why hav eI never heard of it? I want to check it out, info please. Why spend $575 on a r7 if I don't need it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Accra is a brand of shaft made by UST (same folks that make the Proforce and Harmon shafts). It comes in three levels of performance. Check out psniddy's post in the Component & Tools section to see the top of line Accra shaft. They offer a very tight dispersion and great feel and ballflight, or so I've heard. I haven't had the pleasure of hitting an Accra shafted driver yet. Do a search for Accra golf shafts and I'm sure you'll get all the answers you need. And if you need feedback pm davevandyk, dbleber and psniddy for their respective feedback. Hope this helps.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    yes, thanks. It helps alot. I'm on the artisan website, I'm deffo going to go get fitted there but what is different about their fitting vs. a fitting a golftown ? Same thing? are they more knowledgeable? I can probably get mine done at GT for free, do I really want to spend $50 for the same thing there? If its a huge difference then I will obviously pay the $50, I'm sick an tired of buying drivers and then trading it in for something else and losing all that money. If $50 gets me one step closer to have a driver that is perfect for me then so be it

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    I think the main difference is at Artisan, Don will take the time to make sure you are one hundred percent happy. I think in the more intimate environment you'll get a little more personable service and probably get to hit a more varied array of shafts. Not too say GT isn't good at fitting, but with the hussle and bustle of the store I'm sure its easy to get sidetracked. And not sure of their choices, but like I said, you might get to try more shafts at Artisan. Once again, contact dbleber or scottycameron, they have both been fitted by Don and have nothing but good things to say. Not too many members have chimed in with their fittings from GT, probably because you can take most drivers off the rack and hit them side by side to compare yourself. Don't know if this gets you any closer to a decision but its the best I can do with limited knowledge of the two methods of fitting.

But I will say this, be weary of the launch monitor data. I personally would wait until spring where I could set up a monitor session at a local range. Nohting tells the truth more than ball flight. No matter what the data says, I'd still rather see the ball taking off and seeing where it lands. Just my two cents on that topic.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

"Richard"
    sounds good, if they see this.. please comment on how you liked your custom fitting, how did it improve your drives? noticable? not worth it? If I don't hear form them on here, I'll msg them a little closer to decision time Thanks geoff

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    I cant speak for others but,make sure you get the rust out before getting
    on a monitor.
    I made that error last winter and was all over the place!
    This year i will get some range days in first!
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

I would check before going to GT to see if they even carry Accra shafts, not everyone does. Accra is actually made in Kingston Ont and is only licensed/sponsered through UST, you will hear from a lot people you play them that they are the best shaft going. You may get to your fitting and hate them, it depends on your swing and what you consider to be a good feel. The big difference in going to Artisan is you are alone with Don and all his attention is on you. If you want to ask a bunch of question or hit every club in the shop, he never makes you feel rushed or tries to give you the used car saleman treatment. The price varies a lot for the Accra line $105 for the Tour series, $300ish for the SC and $550ish for the SE plus install. So you can see that it can get pretty expensive but most people will do fine with the Tour series and you are by no means getting a second class shaft, this thing is awsome. I will agree 100% with Covanant, make sure you have your swing in check. You don't want to get fitted when you have the winter rust and are coming over the top more then usual or your swing speed is not up to par yet. The shaft may not be the right one once you get into the groove mid season.

"Richard"
    Thanks for the great advice guys. I'm deffo going to get fit for my new driver this year. Maybe I don't need to spend $575 on a new r7 when I can just get a custom fit driver to my swing for maybe less than that... but if its a bit more I don't mind. Golf is the one thing I don't mind spending on... in every other sense of the word I'm CHEAP! ahahah

I am pretty sure golftown does not sell Accra shafts you have to be licsenced to fit them... Like Goeff said if you go to artisan as a possed to golftown you will get more attention, a more intimate fitting (lol).. Personally if your serious about the game you should be fit.. Cheers!

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    Any thoughts?
    you're not gonna like mine:

play the club you have right now for another full year. the gains you might get from going to a new technology (when your current club is only a year old) are overshadowed by the gains you could get from developing a strong feel from repeatedly playing the same club for another year.

Thread Information