100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Way Beyond Help rezadue is on a distinguished road rezadue's Avatar

Question Ben Hogan's 5 lessons and other questions

I recently picked up a copy of Ben Hogan's 5 lessons which I have enjoyed a lot. How ever I do have a few questions with regards to the book which I would like to ask. Any comments would be appreciated.

1)Elbows - Hogan states that at address elbows are tucked in and pointing directly at the hipbones. When I check mine, they are pointing slightly outside of the hipbones. Rotating the forarms so the elbows point directly at the hipbones produces wheat I can only describe as some tension. Is this normal? What re the consequences?

2) Upper arms - Hogan mentions his upper arms are held tightly against his body so that" a terrific amount for force is required to separate them from the body". Does this not sound like tentsion again? My upper arms are against my body, but I don't believe they are that tight. Again, what are the consequences?

3) Waggle - I have read this part a few time and I just don't understand the significance of different waggles. Just how important is this?

4) Downswing - One of my main problems is that I think I initiate my downswing with my arms causing my hips to be stuck in front of my arms. As a result I am swinging outside in. I have read and understand that part about initiating with the hips, but am looking for a drill to impart this into my everyday swing. Any ideas?

5) Left wrist at impact - Hogan claims that the left wrist must "supinate" at impact. Only way I can descivbe that in everyday terms is that the left swrist seems to break a bit at impact. Can one set their wrist this way at address, so they do not have to worry about timing this at impact? Does it happen on its own? Is it necessary?

6) Stance - Accodring to Hogan as the club gets shorter the stance become narrower and more open. I understand the narrower, but am not sure why more open. Is this still widely practiced and accepted?

My own questions:

1) What works for me is that regardless of the club I am hitting the butt end of the club is pointing directly at my crotch. Is this correct? Am I compensating for a problem?

2) When addressing the ball I get best results if the end of the club head is lined up parallel to a spot 3/4 of the way out on the ball. So if you looks from the top, the farthest point of the ball is a bit farther from me than the club head. Is this masking a problem?

Thanks
    Proud member of the 2009 Ryder Cup winning team

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    yikes! sounds kinda overloading the noodle with alot of technique! i love hogans, but one must understand that it is HIS way, and in HIS words not necessarly everything in the book is what he did IMO. For example, the elbows tucked in and pointing down is totally wrong and he did not do this. Apparently, alot of 'clichés' were taken that day, as this being one of many. All the others did not have that look, but guess wich one made it in?

just an example.

but there are some great nuggets in there.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rezadue View Post
    I recently picked up a copy of Ben Hogan's 5 lessons which I have enjoyed a lot. How ever I do have a few questions with regards to the book which I would like to ask. Any comments would be appreciated.

1)Elbows - Hogan states that at address elbows are tucked in and pointing directly at the hipbones. When I check mine, they are pointing slightly outside of the hipbones. Rotating the forarms so the elbows point directly at the hipbones produces wheat I can only describe as some tension. Is this normal? What re the consequences?

It depends on your build. It is a book. If you have a 36 inch waist you won't be able to accomplidh this. What he means is don't hold your arms like a duck flapping his wings. In most cases this happens naturally

2) Upper arms - Hogan mentions his upper arms are held tightly against his body so that" a terrific amount for force is required to separate them from the body". Does this not sound like tentsion again? My upper arms are against my body, but I don't believe they are that tight. Again, what are the consequences?

Same answer as above. You certainly do not want to be tight as a robot

3) Waggle - I have read this part a few time and I just don't understand the significance of different waggles. Just how important is this?

Rehearsing the shot or in other words shadow boxing. Brisk waggle if you want to hit the ball hard. Inside out waggle if you want to draw etc..The waggle is a mini swing.

4) Downswing - One of my main problems is that I think I initiate my downswing with my arms causing my hips to be stuck in front of my arms. As a result I am swinging outside in. I have read and understand that part about initiating with the hips, but am looking for a drill to impart this into my everyday swing. Any ideas?

He also talks about the plane of glass. Inside out swing will break the glass. Practice with 2 balls next to each other. Hit the farthest one away from you. You won't have any choice but to hit on an inisde out swing. Otherwise you'll hit the ball closest to you.You can also practice with no ball with an iron making sure that your divots are aiming right(if you are a rightie of course)

5) Left wrist at impact - Hogan claims that the left wrist must "supinate" at impact. Only way I can descivbe that in everyday terms is that the left swrist seems to break a bit at impact. Can one set their wrist this way at address, so they do not have to worry about timing this at impact? Does it happen on its own? Is it necessary?

It is the best way to insure that the loft of the club is doing the work. In other words a cupped wrist sucks. Best way to learn this is to try to hit very low shots with a pitching wedge.

6) Stance - Accodring to Hogan as the club gets shorter the stance become narrower and more open. I understand the narrower, but am not sure why more open. Is this still widely practiced and accepted?

I don't know if you can call it open. He suggests that the long clubs should be played with the right foot pulled back and the short irons with the left foot put back for control. Not aiming left or right just the feet pulled back.

My own questions:

1) What works for me is that regardless of the club I am hitting the butt end of the club is pointing directly at my crotch. Is this correct? Am I compensating for a problem?

Driver should be aligned with the crotch. any other club hands slightly ahead of the ball especially if you want to supinate the left wrist. With offset irons your hands set up ahead of the ball automatically.

2) When addressing the ball I get best results if the end of the club head is lined up parallel to a spot 3/4 of the way out on the ball. So if you looks from the top, the farthest point of the ball is a bit farther from me than the club head. Is this masking a problem?

Whatever works.

Thanks

One last note. Hogan suggests aligning the V's towards the chin. Unless you are trying to correct a hook you will hit bigger slices than before with that grip. Keep in mind that Hogan was fighting pull hooks in the early part of his carreer. That is why he went with the V's towards the chin. Like I said it is a book and take whatever works for you. Good luck.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information