100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Uneraser Computer Help!!!!

Any techie guys/gals on our forum that know of a good free (I assume shareware) program for unerasing.
    I was having problems deleting files from my mp3 player, and with online advice succeeded.....in removing every music file on my computer.
    28.8 gb worth!....sigh
    I downloaded a supposedly free program that found it all (called diskinternals uneraser) but found out I have to buy a $60 us 'key' to unlock ability to complete the process.

Any advice?
    (ps just got norton sytstemworks which includes 'go back' but I think it only works if you already had the program installed).

Thanks in advance if anyone can help? CHeers, Shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Forum Jedi Weazl is on a distinguished road Weazl's Avatar
    Hi,
    What about a system restore to 2 days ago? Just restore your PC to an earlier date and there's no need for software however you will lose data or saves for whatever's been done during the time. Make sense? If not, PM me and I can help.
    Lots of yoga pants these days, not enough Yoga!

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    System restores don't bring back deleted files. They only bring back your system set up to where it was before, with your programs.

If it also brought back deleted files, you would end up with potentially thousands of emails etc that you are already deleted.

Appreciate the reply, but it won't help this situation.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I guess that you'll be making some backup discs if you get the files back...

Hey Colby!! Anything you can do to help out a fellow OGer? (I guess, technically he's a KGer...)
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I Googled "Unerase utility" and there were 360,000 hits

There are some cheeper utilities here... http://www.freedownloadscenter.com/B...e-utility.html

You may be able to locate a free one to try, but I'll bet you get what you pay for. There are never any guarantees when trying to recover files that are gone from your recyle bin.

Hindsight is 20/20, but for the future...

What I do is have an extra hd that I do nightly backups of everything in MyDocuments. No hassle at all (unlike archiving to cd or dvd) and it has saved my bacon many times.

An 80 gig Maxtor HD can be had for just $69.95 Great insurance.
    http://www.futureshop.ca/catalog/pro...23&catid=10484

5 Wood AndrewMGA is on a distinguished road AndrewMGA's Avatar
    Here is a couple of good free utilities to undelete http://www.smartpctools.com/products/

The only downfall is that they must be installed first. If you have a second drive/partition install it there and you should be fine.

If you don't have any other place to instll it PM me your email and I'll send you the files so you can put them on a floppy and run it from there.

No guarentees that you'll get back all of the files but with that many MP3's you should get back most of them if you have not installed anything on your system.

Andy

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    The Diskinternals stuff is good. Most of the other products have to be pre-installed. Nothing in the recycle bin?

$60.00 may be good money spent. I don't know of any free/cheap products that will work, but of course, I've never had to look... Knock on wood.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    I used software called Search and Recover 3 to recover pictures on my digital camera. It is supposed to work on your computer as well. You can download a free trial version that you can only use 2 or 3 times then you have to decide to buy it or not.

4 Iron ondadl is on a distinguished road
    i have a program, just pm me or add danielwhitefield@rogers.com to messenger!

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Can I ask how you managed to delete 28 gigs worth of songs and proceed to empty the trash as well?
    I'm not trying to be facetious, just want to know what this online help told you to do, and what mp3 player you were using?

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I would assume that he did not need to empty the recycling bin. 28Gbs is too much for windows to hold in the recycling bin, if you delete something of that size you will often get a message saying "The following is too large for the recycling bin, do you want t odelete the items" (or soemthing like that) ... and that kind of message could lead you to believe that the mp3 player was making a confirmation about its contents, as opposed to windows itself.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Thread Information