+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar

Air Canada - 50 lbs limit

I flew a few times with my golf clubs and didn't realize Air Canada had a 50 lb limit. I usually throw all of my clothes into my golf bag for protection against the clubs. At the Ottawa or Toronto airport they didn't mention that my bag was overweight(it was), but coming back from Bermuda my bag was 60 lbs on the luggage scale. The Air Canada agent charged me $25 USD fee for the overweight bag and spent 20 minutes trying to enter the code for the fee. Also, the flight was half full so the extra 10 lbs would not have been a problem. Not sure if this limit applies to other airlines but thought I would let you know about Air Canada.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    On a similar note, I was on a flight back from Toronto today and they were getting pretty picky about carry on luggage. I fly a lot and they seem to be cracking down on this pretty good.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I've never had this problem...

I've flown air canada w/ 2 weeks worth of luggage + a staff bag before...definately over 50lbs.

Probably just some bad luck...hopefully they won't be cracking down on us

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    Yeah,Toronto to Ottawa flight was a gamble at the gate.
    We were told upon boarding,we might have to check carry on luggage
    upon request.
    What gives?
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

Fairway Junkie Michael is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by bobblehead
    I flew a few times with my golf clubs and didn't realize Air Canada had a 50 lb limit. I usually throw all of my clothes into my golf bag for protection against the clubs. At the Ottawa or Toronto airport they didn't mention that my bag was overweight(it was), but coming back from Bermuda my bag was 60 lbs on the luggage scale. The Air Canada agent charged me $25 USD fee for the overweight bag and spent 20 minutes trying to enter the code for the fee. Also, the flight was half full so the extra 10 lbs would not have been a problem. Not sure if this limit applies to other airlines but thought I would let you know about Air Canada.
    Seems they may be cracking down on baggage, here is a link to the new regulations. It is 50 pounds per bag.

http://www.aircanada.com/en/travelin...e/checked.html

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    the 50 pound limit was instituted this fall. it used to be 70. they now refuse to take anything over 70 pounds. It's a real pain, because bringing a set of golf clubs and an entire summer's worth of luggage is quite difficult when the school year ends.

What really gets me is that they dropped the baggage allowance during the fall, after I had bought my ticket home for the holidays, and didn't let me know about the new limit, so i got to the airport and they told me i was going to have to pay an extra charge. Luckily I was able to give them my best starving student look and get through, but I was thoroughly unimpressed with their organization (but hey, what else is new)

I checked in one bag that was 60 lb but they allow 2 bags no more than 50 lb each for a total of 100 lbs. I could have split it up but wanted the convenience of only hauling around one bag. I told them that I wasn't charged in Ottawa or Toronto and the agent just told me that she can't speak for any other airports but the limitations were clear. Then it took them 20 minutes and 2 other agents to enter this long ass cryptic code into the system in order to charge me the $25 USD. I joked to them that they should make their computer system more user friendly and maybe that's why the agent didn't charge me in Toronto...they were not impressed with my remarks. My buddy only had the basics in his golf bag and it was 47 lbs.

Fairway Junkie sharkshooter is on a distinguished road sharkshooter's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    On a similar note, I was on a flight back from Toronto today and they were getting pretty picky about carry on luggage. I fly a lot and they seem to be cracking down on this pretty good.
    It's about time, too. The biggest time waster when loading an airplane is people trying to find places for 2 or 3 oversized carry-on bags. A bit of enforcement would be a nice change.

As to the weight limit, I believe there are safety concerns (and probalby a union contract with baggage handlers) to consider when developing maximum weight limits per item.
    My buddy only had the basics in his golf bag and it was 47 lbs.
    There are specific rules for golf bags, stipulating that the purpose is only to allow the basics. For example from the Air Canada site:
    Sports Equipment (free baggage option)

Any one of the following sports items may be substituted for a free checked baggage allowance piece if it fits within the weight and dimensions of 50 lbs (23kg) and 62 linear inches (158 cm). However, when carried over and above this allowance, additional charges will be levied at the Airport. The total weight of any piece may not exceed 70lbs (32 kg) and the linear dimensions (L+W+H) may not exceed 115 inches (292 cm) with the length not exceeding 80 inches (203 cm)

Golf clubs
    A golf bag containing no more than 14 clubs, 12 golf balls and one pair of golf shoes. The bag and clubs must be fully enclosed in a hard shell container specifically designed for shipping. If otherwise packaged, the item(s) will only be accepted with a limited release form (to be signed at check-in), releasing Air Canada of liability.
    As this is an airline issue, it would be wise to check with the airline you are flying on, as the rules may be different.

Know the rules so you won't be disappointed when you travel.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    That stipulation, hard shell only, is kinda silly...the hard shells weigh about 20 + pounds themselves. It used to be higher, they should stick with it. Not that it matters, I gave up on Air Canada years ago, and judging from their regular bankruptcies, so did everyone else.

Quote Originally Posted by Golfpeasant
    It used to be higher, they should stick with it.
    Why? Clubs and shoes are, generally, lighter now.

I usually bring about 10 lbs of golf balls

Last year I brought 500 11.5 gram poker chips in my bag to Myrtle Beach. Do the math.

I remember unloading stuff from my golf bag into my suitcase in the airport terminal to even out the weight. I think we flew United last year.

BTW, I agree with the whole carry on crackdown. In the winter, it's a circus on a full plane. You can have a big coat, laptop, purse (women), and another carry on. Friggin ridiculous trying to find a place to put anything.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    I travel about once a month and in the past 12-18 months there has been a crackdown on carry-ons. One airline - Canjet - actually weighs the carry-on to ensure it is under the 20 lb limit. Others - Air Canada, United, Delta, don't seem to be as picky regarding weight but are more focused on the size of the luggage. Also with the proliferation of regional jets, carry-on is a misnomer since you end up checking the bag at the door of the aircraft and picking it up from the cart on the tarmac on landing most of the time anyway.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    Why? Clubs and shoes are, generally, lighter now.
    Why? Why not. Right now there are so many competitors that Air Canada is regularly being bailed out by the government. Time they either got competitive, or got out. Sorry, but I get tired of it.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkshooter
    As to the weight limit, I believe there are safety concerns (and probalby a union contract with baggage handlers) to consider when developing maximum weight limits per item.
    I don't believe it has anything to do with safety concerns or union contracts. Their new limits are less than other airlines, and less than Canada Post and major courier companies (including Air Canada Cargo) - most of whom have union contracts.

This is strictly about $$$$. Planes that weigh more use more fuel. Instead of offsetting higher gas prices by increasing fares (which would obviously hurt their competitive position), they "hide" the increase in baggage charges.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hybrid oldmaninblack is on a distinguished road
    United in Denver had signs up for the 50lb limit with a $25US fee for overweight, but they didn't charge me for my 60lb golf bag. I think all airlines are headed that way

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    the 50 pound limit was instituted this fall. it used to be 70. they now refuse to take anything over 70 pounds. It's a real pain, because bringing a set of golf clubs and an entire summer's worth of luggage is quite difficult when the school year ends.
    I guess I just got in under the wire then... I flew AC in august and september while over this new limit ...

What a pain it's going to be next time :@

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    This is strictly about $$$$. Planes that weigh more use more fuel. Instead of offsetting higher gas prices by increasing fares (which would obviously hurt their competitive position), they "hide" the increase in baggage charges.
    Yep, that is exactly their reasoning...except they keep raising fares too. Westjet it is for me.

Shagging Balls DavidY is on a distinguished road DavidY's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Yep, that is exactly their reasoning...except they keep raising fares too. Westjet it is for me.
    Westjet is still 70 pounds per checked bag. 22 pounds per carry on. Limited dimensions for either.

Dave

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I don't believe it has anything to do with safety concerns or union contracts. Their new limits are less than other airlines, and less than Canada Post and major courier companies (including Air Canada Cargo) - most of whom have union contracts.

You may be right - I have no inside information here. While you argue they are hiding the cost of increased fuel, others argue they are hiding less by disclosing fuel surcharges and the additional cost of extra carrying luggage.

If you want to read a discussion on this topic by a bunch of Frequent Flyers, try

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showt...6&page=1&pp=20

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Flying lite.

The secret is to carry 3 to 9 iron in PCV fairway woods, beryllium copper wedges with hard plastic inserts, carbon composite titanium driver heads all with ultra lite weight graphite shafts, standless nylon carry bag (with no strap), a visor verse a cap, one light weight reusable brush tee, Caymen short course golf balls and a fingerless golf glove !!

Ha, Ha,

..opps and don't forget the balsom wood putter !!.

Steve

P.S. also switch the ball marker from a Toonie to a wooden nickel !

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    The reason that Air Canada went to the 50 lb limit is due to union contracts and Occupational Health & Safety issues (which are tied together in some countries). Ground handlers at some airports such as London Heathrow will not handle baggage over 50 lbs per piece. I understand that this is fairly common in Europe.

Ground handling at many of the large international airports are either contracted by AC or contracted by the airport themselves and the carrier has no choice but to use one ground handler. They are stuck with the union agreements of the third party.

IIRC some countries also have minimum baggage allowances written into their treaties (almost all international routes are based on bilateral agreements between the two countries involved, the EU has of course changed).

Check the fine print on Air Canada's website as there are international destinations where Air Canada does have a higher baggage allowance. Japan is one, and AC does not want to lose this business given the number of Japanese nationals they carry. Did Japan complain, or was the baggage limit included in the bilateral, I don't know.

And I don't disagree that it does put more $$$ into Air Canada's pockets, and of course we have to pay.

i'm not sure that makes sense...they are happy to handle it if its over 50lbs and you pay extra....

1 Iron Tanglegrip is on a distinguished road Tanglegrip's Avatar
    The handling of the baggage will be different. To start, the agent will put a "Heavy" tag on the bag. The agent doesn't usually have to lift the bag as you've done the work to get it to their counter and on a conveyor belt.

Once the bag gets to the baggage make-up room a "heavy" bag will take two people to put on a cart or baggage container. Same thing into the aircraft from the baggage cart even if its only onto a belt loader. Most airlines operate with the minimum number of people so it's a matter of making sure that more people are available at the critical time. More people equals more cost.

There's also the safety & health issues. Heavier bags mean more injuries and more claims for bad injuries.

I'm not arguing that it doesn't put more money into the airlines pockets, it does. I won't comment on some of the bonehead decisions made by airlines, but overall airlines have lost far more money than they have made for their shareholders, especially since 911. Air Canada, Delta, United, USAir have all gone through bankruptcy in the last few year.

Make sure that you shop around and know the airline limits before you pack.

Thread Information