100 Holes of Hope

View Poll Results: How Often Do You Take Lessons?

Voters
66. You may not vote on this poll
  • Often: Regular Lessons Every Season (i.e. 6+)

12 18.18%
  • Some: Some Lessons Every Season (i.e. 1-5)

18 27.27%
  • Few: Every Few Years

12 18.18%
  • None: I Read A Magazine Tip Once

24 36.36%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Lessons?

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

Lessons?

I was wondering whether or not most members here take lessons, and if so, how often?
    I had a thought recently, that I, like most golfers, constantly tinker with new equipment, yet do not spend enough on lessons, the thing that would probably have the most impact.
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I used to take regular lessons back when I had a pro who I liked. Unfortunately the past couple of years everyone I've signed up with for a lesson has just not been for me. Basically just teaching myself now.
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Shark, when we're as good as we all think we are, we don't need no stinkin' lessons....

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    In South America I was getting 1hr lessons for 40$ from a guy on the Senior PGA tour....

up here different story.

Down there the guy was super nice, affordable price and he'd even carry your bag (I didn't let him though...)

UP here, No qualifications and they have this attitude. Not all I'm sure but every lesson type thing I"ve ever been to up here I find very undermining and over priced so I just teach myself).

Lessons do make a major improvement though when I was getting those lessons I got about 4 lessons over a week period. My driving went from ~220 --> 280!!!! Also for some reason I was hitting my 5 iron 200 yards and pretty straight...

Now I"m scared I lost most of it as let me tell you it didn't feel very "natural" at first.

All and all if you can find someone who is cool and not pompus; well priced go for it it obviously makes a difference just up here I haven't found anyone that fits the category
    Last edited by dH; 02-03-2006 at 03:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Shark, when we're as good as we all think we are, we don't need no stinkin' lessons....
    I guess that's why I look like Tin Cup stumbling along inside my contraptions!
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    "Give me another ball Romeo, I can make that shot...."

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    All and all if you can find someone who is cool and not pompus; well priced go for it it obviously makes a difference just up here I haven't found anyone that fits the category
    Aside from being cool, not pompous and inexpensive, it would also be appropriate to find someone who knows what they are talking about, and can communicate the essentials to you in an easily understood manner.

It seems to me that too many teach "tips" and use curative suggestions, rather than the basics of a fundamentally efficient swing. One obvious challenge is to learn the difference.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I usually take a few every year, in either winter or summer. It usually goes something like this:

First lesson - get the video done. Of the 19 things I was doing wrong that we corrected after last year's video, I've reverted back to 14 of them and added 2 new ones. Hey, I'm making progress!

Second lesson - this is where you totally demolish your old swing (again!), and when you're done you can't hit a football field from 30 yards away.

Rest of the lessons - OK, things are getting better every week. It feels weird but the ball is actually going somewhat in the direction I was aiming!

A week after your lessons are done - Everything is clicking. Maybe I can actually play this game after all! I'm going to the course with 3 balls in my bag and coming home with 7. I conciously have to stop myself from turning into that annoying guy that gives unsolicited swing tips at the driving range. Life is great!

A month after your lessons are done - What the hell is wrong with me??? One day I'm knocking over flagsticks and the next day I'm hitting pop-ups and lateral pitch outs! Did they put something in my coffee at Timmies today??

Three months after your lessons are done - Man do I ever suck at this game!! I should quit now before I REALLY embarrass myself. Oops, too late!

Later when you've thought seriously about quitting golf forever - I guess its time for more lessons!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Well being a newbie, I have taken quite a few lessons to get good fundamentals so that I am not fighting ingrained bad habits. Mainly for the full swing, this year I think I will really need to focus on the short game to improve my scores. Anyone know a really good short game instructor? I was just watching the Golf channel Academy on Stan Utley and liked his methods, the PILS method has felt very unnatural and wooden to me I think I would do better with the feel method. I don't think I will be taking much more in the way of lessons anymore besides the short game for this year.

Gap Wedge golfgearguy is on a distinguished road
    Lessons are important. Make the investment, spent $80+ and see someone who knows their stuff. Ask questions, like why is this important for golf, but for you. Ask for drills and demonstrations.
    Go see the super tall guy at the Marshes. He's been doing this for ever... I promise you will love his lesson.

I saw a lesson this summer where the pro talked about no legs and all arms. The student didn't believe him and debated (as all students should.. ask questions!) The pro borrowed his driver, hit one from his knees about 260 and one standing on only his left leg, and hit the same shot, just a bit shorter.

I agree, I took a series of lessons yrs ago. The one drill was to stand feet touching, making swings at the ball. Then switching back to normal.
    THe feet touching was to impart how u should turn rather than sway.

Sad thing is, I can stand that way and hit drives 200+ straight, but could never figure out how to help my reg swing, which is longer, but not a ton.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by golfgearguy
    I saw a lesson this summer where the pro talked about no legs and all arms. The student didn't believe him and debated (as all students should.. ask questions!) The pro borrowed his driver, hit one from his knees about 260 and one standing on only his left leg, and hit the same shot, just a bit shorter.
    Are you suggesting that the conscious use of the legs and hips is NOT the major source of power in the golf swing? Heresy. That leaves only the arms, wrists, shoulders, AND the club itself.

Who is this guy? He could become the busiest and most helpful pro around.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    This guy sounds just like the AJ Truth video.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    I was wondering whether or not most members here take lessons, and if so, how often?
    Never. Lessons and practice are for chumps.

Practice and lessons are for competitors who value playing well.

How's that leg drive coming along, Shivas?

Practice Pig ironmaster15213 is on a distinguished road ironmaster15213's Avatar
    All I know is the more I practice a sound swing the luckier I get. My steady golfing partners...... about 48 of them, think I'm the luckiest S.O.B in the world and I'm more than happy to feed those thoughts otherwise they wouldn't bet me any more. As far as lessons: I gave the pros at my practice facility 100 dollars two years ago to just watch me every so often and see if anything is creeping into my swing. They have only changed two small things since then.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    How's that leg drive coming along, Shivas?
    It is perfected, thank you for your interest.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    My lesson plan is usually an hour lesson early in the season followed by four 30 minute sessions spread throughout the year. This keep sme on track and corrects some mis-adjustments that creep in to the swing.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Hall of Fame mpare is on a distinguished road mpare's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    My lesson plan is usually an hour lesson early in the season followed by four 30 minute sessions spread throughout the year. This keep sme on track and corrects some mis-adjustments that creep in to the swing.
    Oh, now I understand your secret to perfection.

Andru
    I've figured I need a set of eyes to help with my set up once i'm there. I'm good to go.

If you set up right the golf swing is cake.

"Richard"
    I'm not sure how lessons would effect someone once they have already been golfing wrong and do many things wrong, I can only speak for myself. I took 5 lessons before stepping onto a course and did pretty well. Then I started watching the lessons on tape and practising more at the range and my scores went down a little more. THEN i figured (doesn't take a genius) that, hey I'm using my putter about 35% of the time, why not work on that more than anything else and thats where the score really dropped! I got to the point where I was putting really well that working on it wasn't really helping my score since there wasn't as much room for improvement as there was in other areas of my game. Then I started working on chipping, bump and runs, sand shots and my scores went down again. Now I'm just working on straightening out the driver, increasing the distance and picking up where I left off last year. If you have already been golfing, I would think that lessons might ruin your year like it did to my friend. He was an 8 handicap and decided to take lessons to try to get down to a 5 and he went upto 11! I asked him what the heck was going on and he said, I'm thinking of about 20 different things before i set up, before I start my back swing, while I'm swinging... so be careful, I think it would take a lot of lessons to redo a swing. Even tiger sucked when he was redo'ing his

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    24 years of golf
    one lesson
    last summer
    basic stuff, grip, follow through, weight shift, I knew the PRO and he knows what he is talking about.
    back to the course next day, in fact a road trip to a course I have not played in years.
    Hooked the ball like a madman all day
    Scored ok though, and after a few rounds of tinkering with my drip a little I got back on track.
    Nice about the Pro I saw, he did not try to change my ten finger grip, he said that grip is fine, he just tweaked my hand position a little. Made sure I worked on a good follow through. He said "I want to see all the spikes on your right foot when you finish your swing"
    Good Pro's will work with your current swing, if it is anywhere close to a decent swing. The Pro I saw has some hot shot Juniors coming from his course, so he must be doing something right!
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    PLUS Geoff never holds onto a set of irons long enough to get used to hitting them
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by thotho
    I'm not sure how lessons would effect someone once they have already been golfing wrong and do many things wrong, I can only speak for myself. I took 5 lessons before stepping onto a course and did pretty well. Then I started watching the lessons on tape and practising more at the range and my scores went down a little more. THEN i figured (doesn't take a genius) that, hey I'm using my putter about 35% of the time, why not work on that more than anything else and thats where the score really dropped! I got to the point where I was putting really well that working on it wasn't really helping my score since there wasn't as much room for improvement as there was in other areas of my game. Then I started working on chipping, bump and runs, sand shots and my scores went down again. Now I'm just working on straightening out the driver, increasing the distance and picking up where I left off last year. If you have already been golfing, I would think that lessons might ruin your year like it did to my friend. He was an 8 handicap and decided to take lessons to try to get down to a 5 and he went upto 11! I asked him what the heck was going on and he said, I'm thinking of about 20 different things before i set up, before I start my back swing, while I'm swinging... so be careful, I think it would take a lot of lessons to redo a swing. Even tiger sucked when he was redo'ing his
    If He's thinking of 20 different things he has a crappy swing coach.

Andru
    I saw a pro over the winter. My swing is great but I received a credit for Xmas at GT and decided to go.

Here's the good thing he changed very little. My grip was a little strong. weakened it slightly and chaged my set up. That's it. I'm hitting the ball better than I ever have. No swing changes. Minor grip adjustent and setup change. ( Thanks paulbertholy.com for the action ) but changing my set up fixed everything.

I really believe in cause and effect. If you have a problem in your swing it likely starts with your setup.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    I took lessons for years. Went a couple of winters at the OAC. Then took lessons every three weeks during the summer with Marc Peterson. I was an 18+Hdcp and dropped to a 7.1 hdcp in a year and change. Best move of golf life.

Now I don’t have the time and money to take lessons (2 young kids at home) but I practice a lot in my garage. I hit balls 3 to 4 times a week all year long. The best thing about taking lessons is that now I understand the golf swing. The best coach is a video camera and golf video software on your PC. I can translate what I feel in my swing to what it looks like on video. The problem with self-teaching is feeling what you are doing but not doing what you feel. Once you can see that on video you can efficiently work on what you are doing wrong.

Mike
    Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

3 Wood milner_7 is on a distinguished road milner_7's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mberube
    The best thing about taking lessons is that now I understand the golf swing. The best coach is a video camera and golf video software on your PC. I can translate what I feel in my swing to what it looks like on video. The problem with self-teaching is feeling what you are doing but not doing what you feel. Once you can see that on video you can efficiently work on what you are doing wrong.

Mike
    I agree 100%. I have been taking lessons this spring and when hitting some balls tonight I have seen a big difference in how the ball reacts off the club. Its the best investment a player can make in my opinion. The video lesson is the best way to go and is worth the extra money. Seeing your swing is scary at first but seeing the result of learning the right way is sweet!!
    "Obstacles are what you see when you take your eyes off your goals"
    HC-15.3 2009 Goal 10.0

Albatross Powerdraw is on a distinguished road
    lessons for the pure beginner is a must to learn setup grip, how the cookie crumbles.

BUT PLEASE PEOPLE, LEARN FROM THE GREEN TOO THE TEE.

Always ask your 'pro' why why why why...make him sick to death with questions, YOU ARE PAYING. He is not giving you a favor. IF he cant answer, bye bye. And remember, its your swing not THE swing, more ways then one to skin a cat.

3 Iron Go_Leafs_Go is on a distinguished road Go_Leafs_Go's Avatar
    Taking my first lesson tonight. I figured that I should get some lessons before I start playing. That way it might delay me getting totally frustrated with the game and stop playing before I even really started.
    [B][U]In my Bag ???[/U][/B]
    What do you mean ???
    Are we supposed to use bags ???

Thread Information