Voters
70. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

66 94.29%
  • No

4 5.71%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I hope it works out. Calgary, Winnipeg and even Thunder Bay (to name a few) have domes that have been running for years. Their population bases are equal to, or smaller than Ottawa's. There's no better blace to work on swing mechanics than in a climate controled, wind free environment. You can see plenty of ball flight to know where it's going to end up. I don't need to see where the ball lands to tell if I've hit a bad or good shot.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Gap Wedge GolfOttawa is on a distinguished road
    Money! Money! Money! Money!
    This Forum could start a Virtual dome and we could use virtual money to build it and it could be open 24hours aday for the whole year with no overhead and always be full or golfers. I will put up the first million in virtual money, anyone else interested in investing?

Lob Wedge Ottawa Golf Dom is on a distinguished road
    Monday’s newsletter from Ottawa Golf will have an advertisement sending people to the survey. The newsletter subscription is just over 10,000 people (Dan correct me if I’m wrong). Although this may be a healthy representation of Ottawa Golfers, I am confident it does not represent all the golfers in the area. Therefore please forward the survey link

http://www.enoph.com/Golf.html

to as many golfers as you know. The more data we have to analyze the better it will be for our investors etc…

The survey will have some minor changes (by Monday).
    • We will encourage visitors to participate in this discussion in this forum.
    • We will ask about Corporate Memberships.

If you have already filled in the survey (thank you) there is no need to answer it again.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfOttawa
    Money! Money! Money! Money!
    This Forum could start a Virtual dome and we could use virtual money to build it and it could be open 24hours aday for the whole year with no overhead and always be full or golfers. I will put up the first million in virtual money, anyone else interested in investing?
    Ahhhh, virtual humour...
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by John
    Personally i'd much rather see an outdoor heated driving range. Two levels of heated spaces, and i realize it would be expensive but you could make the area you hit out into with artificial turf and just use trucks to clear it when it snows. I think this idea would fly in this town.
    Ive thought of that, and seen one in Toronto...the problem as I see it is the wind...we have varying winds, and when it howls, it howls. Toronto had one on a "soon to be developed" site right downtown, protected by surrounding buildings. Where would you put Ottawa's?

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mpare
    Something about this smells fishy to me. If this is a serious project, run by serious people, why the intrigue? These kinds of "hints" don't seem particularly professional to me.
    I'm surprised this didn't come up earlier in the thread.
    Also, as Dan pointed out, location will be vital in the success of this venture so why keep potential locations secret?
    Using city or NCC land really has nothing to do with red tape, so I don't know why this was even mentioned.
    I hope I'm wrong but it smells fishy to me too.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    I'm surprised this didn't come up earlier in the thread.
    Also, as Dan pointed out, location will be vital in the success of this venture so why keep potential locations secret?
    I'm assuming it is so they can buy or lease for less $$$ and/or not tip their hand too early to potential competitors. I know I would keep it a secret as long as I could.
    Using city or NCC land really has nothing to do with red tape, so I don't know why this was even mentioned.
    You're kidding, right?
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Did anybody see the giant indoor skiing facility featured during the coverage of the Dubai Desert Classic? It was 400 meters long. 35 deg celcius outside, -2 inside. It was pretty cool.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    You're kidding, right?
    Nope, not kidding.

I'm not saying that dealing with the city or NCC doesn't involve red tape or bureaucracy, but my point is there are hoops to jump through no matter where you are doing business. The fact that this venture is not going to be on city or NCC land doesn't mean there is no red tape.

Maybe Ottawa Golf Dom can clear it up - as was already asked, why the 'hints' and intrigue?

Golfers,

We appreciate all you feedback and contributions not only to this post, but to those that have filled out the survey forms. As for location, we have narrowed it down to 3 sites. Many factors are involved in making this sort of decision. Competitors, is a major factor in keeping this quite for now. As soon as we are ready we will disclose more information. Please be patient while we work through all the nuts and bolts. Our primary concern is to truly establish that a Golf Only dome will be financially viable in Ottawa.

Montreal… Yes there is a dome there and yes Montreal has a population 3X the size of Ottawa. However, the Dome is located on the West Part of the Island. More than 80% of Montrealers will not drive there. It is not easily accessible from the Laval (North of Montreal) or from the south Shore. Therefore, the demographics of the Montreal Dome are similar or less than Ottawa’s population.

Winnipeg and Thunderbay have awesome facilities that we would like to duplicate in our city. Their demographics are much less intriguing than Ottawa’s.

Our biggest obstacle is Ottawa’s business mentality when it comes to something new. Unless it’s High Tech… it’s tough to do business here. So far the response has been overwhelmingly positive. What golfer would not want a new dome? However, are they willing to drive more than 10 minutes to get to it? This is part of the data we must sort through and present to our investors.

Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Golf Dom

What golfer would not want a new dome? However, are they willing to drive more than 10 minutes to get to it? This is part of the data we must sort through and present to our investors.
    Thanks for the additional info.
    You're right - what golfer wouldn't want a new dome? I think we can all agree more places to golf is a good thing (from a consumer viewpoint)
    Location would be the deciding factor for me.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Nope, not kidding.

I'm not saying that dealing with the city or NCC doesn't involve red tape or bureaucracy, but my point is there are hoops to jump through no matter where you are doing business. The fact that this venture is not going to be on city or NCC land doesn't mean there is no red tape.
    Operating a business on private land zoned for commercial or industrial use is pretty straight-forward, especially if you have some previous business experience. You'll need a lawyer, but it is really not a big deal.

Operating a business on city or NCC land is in an entirely different league. There is really no comparison. The bureaucrats at the NCC live in some other world that bears little resemblance to our little blue planet.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

City Property or NCC property also requires them to put out a request for tender. Applicants (pretty much anybody) then need to bid on the project and the city decides who they will do business with (also knows as P3’s). We have carefully considered this option and may go that route if we decide to develop more than one Dome. Doing business with these entities will usually have many strings attached. Given the lack of multi-sports-plex facilities in the city, I highly doubt that they would fund a Golf Only project. These facilities would be mandated to accommodate soccer, rugby, ultimate frisbee and other sports. Golf would be an option, but only a small % of the facilities overall use. This, certainly does not line up with what the golfers needs are.

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    You make good points... The winters here are crazy and I won't drive more than 10-15 minutes to get to where I have to go... If it is further than that you'll only catch me going when weather is favourable which isn't that often. I'm not risking a collision to practice my slice!

My $0.02

Also most golfers aren't retired anymore so only having "golf hours" from 9-5 doesn't help that many of us... Those that are over 65 probably aren't as obbessed anyways they know they'll never compete on tour

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    Operating a business on city or NCC land is in an entirely different league. There is really no comparison. The bureaucrats at the NCC live in some other world that bears little resemblance to our little blue planet.
    I won't dispute that, I just found it curious that Golf Dom brought it up when nobody else made any mention of it being on NCC or city property.

[quote=BC MIST]To have a completion date for this fall, I would assume that the location of the Dome has already been decided. Based on what I have read in the newspaper and a little knowledge from those who have dealt with the City of Ottawa, this kind of major project does not get studied, approved, tendered, if necessary, and built in about 8 months.

Our Reply was to BC MIST (Message # 15)

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ottawa Golf Dom
    • Golf School for kids
    • Driving Ranger for Golfers… who may be on their way to a course without range Facilities
    • Outing for community center kids who want to learn the game
    • Facility will also have a miniput… this will be nice on those Hot Days.

Also, target practice promotions. Get a hole in one and win seat to a Sens Game Etc…

As always your ideas are welcome.

Mike
    Mike,

I think your ideas are 'sound' there are plenty of winter activities that this facility could be used for but unfortunately some of them would mean 'no driving range' You could setup a 'paint ball' facility, or have carded teacher providing lessons, you could change the facilities into baseball hitting practice cages, vollyball pits, hell just about any sport you can think of even Ice hockey rink or skating rink if you have the captital to build suck a structure.

Now if the building contained a sports bar, you could have all sorts of 'gimmics' to get the people there. Think of the bowling palace at Trim Road in Orleans (bowling??? did I say that out loud?) Golf simulators, swing analyzers, golf shop, sell Geoff's used clubs in there! Hell, go in with Chuck Browns or Golf Town and get them to buy into a new place! Since I don't know the size or structure type, I may be way out in left field here but somone who has the capital behind them and a sound operational business plan with good people running it..... it is definitely 'doable'

Good luck!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

I Just Won't Leave covanant is on a distinguished road covanant's Avatar
    A dome wouldnt be big enough for Geoffs clubs.
    [font=Impact]Dirty...Mean...And Mighty Unclean.[/font]

1 Iron sparsons is on a distinguished road
    Ottawa Golf Dome, Have you considered installing sand traps and a putting green in this Golf Dome?

Yes we have. The traps may be off to the side for obvious reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Now if the building contained a sports bar, you could have all sorts of 'gimmics' to get the people there.
    Good luck!
    If the facility also had a sports bar I would certainly be willing to drive a greater distance to get there. I'm not about to drive across the city just to hit balls in a dome but the thought of hitting balls & not having to go anywhere to sit down for a cold pop afterwards is appealing.

I'd drive further if it had chipping area, putting green and sandtrap 100%

Caddy larry is on a distinguished road larry's Avatar
    A few years ago we stopped in at an amusement park in Kitchener that had dome. Not only could you hit golf balls but they had a couple of batting cages.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by larry
    A few years ago we stopped in at an amusement park in Kitchener that had dome. Not only could you hit golf balls but they had a couple of batting cages.
    I remember a similar dome in Hull, near wakefield (I think)...anyone else remember it? It went under, so thats worth investigating.

Gap Wedge golfgearguy is on a distinguished road
    $36 a bucket

Quote Originally Posted by larry
    The place in question is Sportsworld... The owners were our former business partners. The batting cages were not very well managed and ended up being a waste of space.

Gap Wedge ClubFoot is on a distinguished road
    Visit http://www.eaglequestgolf.com/calgarydome/
    for a virtual tour of the Calgary golf dome which is open year round and has two levels.

1 Iron B Nation is on a distinguished road

Not feasible in Ottawa???????

In a very limited search on the net I found the follwing Canadian cities with Golf Domes:

Calgary
    Edmonton
    Winnipeg
    Saskatoon
    Thunder Bay
    Halifax
    Barrie

Yeah, I think we have the market to support one of these.

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    it would be a small gold mine
    Proost!

Thread Information