100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Downswing

Ty Webb

Question Downswing

Plain and simple. What starts the downswing?

I have read/been told that a weight shift, hip bump, hip turn and a pull down with the left arm.

Any comments?

Ty

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Hips first

When I took lessons, the golf pro told me that the downswing should always begin with the hips.

At his suggestion, I use the "hip bump", which automatically causes a weight shift forward - and I have found this to be successful as long as I don't overdo it. With longer clubs I turn my hips more on the backswing, and so I have to "unwind" them first - so in that sense you could say a "hip turn" starts the downswing - but with irons and wedges this is hardly noticable.

Pulling down with the left arm usually results in a fat shot for me. I was told that your arms should react to the movements of your body, and not the other way around.

Green Jacket GarthM is on a distinguished road GarthM's Avatar

Point with your knee

Another good way to get the body moving in the right direction if you are not comfortable with the hip bump is to slightly move your target side knee (left if you are a righty) towards the target.

This helps start the weight shift back through the ball.

Good luck.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    I don't believe there is a right or wrong anwer to this one which is why the great debate continues. It really depends on the individual and what their natural tendencies are. In other words, work with what you have and be aware of what you are trying to correct.

It would stand to reason that since most people slice, most people should start the swing with the arms since getting the hips ahead contributes to the slice. Getting the hips ahead along with swinging inside out will open the clubface.

54Rigger
    I think if you have the perfect swing then the beginning of the downswing is invisible and undeterminable. just check out Ernie Els (sweet tempo)

For me the downswing starts with the beginning of a weight shift but my weight shift continues throughout my swing

Good question

Rig

Thread Information