CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

SMT do not make it, now what?

I was going to buy an SMT Solitaire but apparently it does not come in LH. Can any of you recommmend another fairway 3 wood head that would compare to the Solitaire or must I venture back to the V Steel?

Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jvincent is on a distinguished road jvincent's Avatar
    Wishon 515 GRT. You may end up putting your driver away after hitting it.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    Wishon 515 GRT. You may end up putting your driver away after hitting it.
    The Wishon 515 GRT is not available in LH either.

If you like the low-profile head of the Solitaire, you might want to check out the Ashton X-1. It is a Canadian company, so they have more clubs available in LH.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Wishon

How about the 725CrMo, I saw a 3 and 5 wood with Comp804 shafts on Ebay for $50.00 in very good condition. I know nothing about this company's components except that they are highly recommended on this and other forums.
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    How about the 725CrMo, I saw a 3 and 5 wood with Comp804 shafts on Ebay for $50.00 in very good condition. I know nothing about this company's components except that they are highly recommended on this and other forums.
    Over the years I have dealt with Dynacraft, Golfworks, Golfsmith, Hireko and Wishon, and it just seems that when Tom was working for DC and GS, and now with his own company, that the quality of the components available was excellent. If I was to go into the clubmaking business I would want to sell Wishon products exclusively, as he has something for every kind of golfer, without saturating you with too many choices.

The glaring weakness at Wishon Golf is that too few clubs are available left hand. In questioning Tom and Matt Mohi about this, on more that one occasion, their response was that they felt that the start up costs in making left models was too high for the amount of units they felt that could be sold. At a Dynacraft Clubmakers Symposium I attended years ago, their research showed that only 7% of Americans play golf left handed, whereas in Canada, it was over 30%. As American golfers are his biggest customer, his decision not to make left models makes sense.

BTW: The Ashton X-1 fairway woods are an excellent choice, setup and play similar to the Wishon 515's although the latter travel a little higher. Available from Custom Club Shop and Straight Ball Golf.

Quote Originally Posted by el tigre
    I thought that they had made the 515 available in LH. Must have been confusing it with another head.

Quote Originally Posted by jvincent
    I thought that they had made the 515 available in LH. Must have been confusing it with another head.
    Probably the 915 CFE, which according to their website is the only Wishon wood available in LH. You can get the 321 hybrid in LH if you want to try that route.

From all reports the Ashton X-1 is an excellent head. I have a 3-wood being assembled as we speak - hoping to try it out indoors sometime in the next week.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Probably the 915 CFE, which according to their website is the only Wishon wood available in LH. You can get the 321 hybrid in LH if you want to try that route.
    Must have been early Alzheimer's. No need for LH here, I'm a righty so I get to use all the goodies.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    Ashton X-1s are excellent heads. I have the X-1 3 and 7 wood, and the X-1D 3 wood. All hit it a ton and straight. Off the deck the low profile X-1 is better while the slightly taller X-1D is better off the tee. I have not tried the 515 but from what I read it may even be a bit longer. Regardless, the X-1 and 515 seem to be at the top of everyone's list when the topic of component fairway woods comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    Any thoughts on these Wishon clubs and Innovative shafts? I got them on Ebay and they are in great condition. Do they compare to the 515?
    Lefty Lucas

Sorry, not familiar with the 725CroMo.

In general, the 515 is longest of the Wishon fairways. Everyone who has hit them comes away with the same feeling. It's a smaller headed design, which some don't like, but if you match it up with a shaft that works for you..... POW! (not The Hammer POW!, but a real POW!)

In my regular golfing group, I was the first to get one. Everyone else now has some combination of 515 FW.

It's really too bad that it's not available in LH.

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    I've moved this thread from the Classifieds to the Clubmakers Forum. It seems to make more sense seeing as how there is really nothing for sale in the thread.

Reid
    The opinions expressed in this post are mine and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of others on OG.

Wannamaker mjf is on a distinguished road mjf's Avatar
    Are you sure about that? Unless something has changed, they are available in LH. I know this because I build a LH 515 3w/5w for my wife last year.

MJF

I knew I wasn't going insane.

Quote Originally Posted by mjf
    Are you sure about that? Unless something has changed, they are available in LH. I know this because I build a LH 515 3w/5w for my wife last year.

MJF
    I'm going by what is listed on their website. Only the 915 is listed as being available in LH. I suppose you could phone and ask.

Birdie Slammin' Stever is on a distinguished road Slammin' Stever's Avatar

Great fairway wood!

The lastest fairway wood that was a big response at the PGA show in Orlando this year (2006) is the Ashton X1 or x1D. They are the first to design what is call soft hosel technology. This head comes in two sizes, such as for the 3 wood low profile X1 160cc face or a deep face X1D - 175 cc . Ashton uses three types of metal for this design. 304 soft investment cast that dampens the shoke at impact, adds more weight to the head area to increase swing weight and feel and it can be bent up to 4 degrees without bending back like forged steel. the body is the harder 17-4 invest cast that allows for superior structure and the face is fully forged with allows for maximum feel and trampoline effect across the face at impact.

I use this head with great response.

Drop by my booth at the Ottawa Golf and Travel show on March 3rd to the 5th and see them.

Or give me a call. 482-7965

thx Steve

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Slammin' Stever
    The lastest fairway wood that was a big response at the PGA show in Orlando this year (2006) is the Ashton X1 or x1D. They are the first to design what is call soft hosel technology. This head comes in two sizes, such as for the 3 wood low profile X1 160cc face or a deep face X1D - 175 cc . Ashton uses three types of metal for this design. 304 soft investment cast that dampens the shoke at impact, adds more weight to the head area to increase swing weight and feel and it can be bent up to 4 degrees without bending back like forged steel. the body is the harder 17-4 invest cast that allows for superior structure and the face is fully forged with allows for maximum feel and trampoline effect across the face at impact.

I use this head with great response.

Drop by my booth at the Ottawa Golf and Travel show on March 3rd to the 5th and see them.

Or give me a call. 482-7965

thx Steve
    Hibernation over Steve?
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I'm going by what is listed on their website. Only the 915 is listed as being available in LH. I suppose you could phone and ask.
    As luck would have it, my 2006 Wishon catalog arrived in the mail today.

515 FW is indeed available in LH. The Website must be out of date.

Rats

Well, just my luck, I bought the 3 & 5 725 off Ebay on Tuesday night. I did find some comments on this club on the Wishon site and I guess it is he himself who was commenting on the head and it seems it was the precursor of the 515 so I think i will be OK. Worse comes to worse I can always sell it and get me a 515. Forever tweaking!!!!
    Lefty Lucas

Wishon 725

Here is what i found on the net on this fairway wood

Faces of all the 725CrMo woods are forged from a true billet of the C2M30 steel for superior grain structure and consistent strength
    Faces are all forged in a "cup-face" construction to keep all welding from touching the back of the face for maximum spring
    True billet forging ensures consistent grain structure across the face for maximum strength and stress control at impact
    Finished in Dark Cobalt gloss with bright satin polish sole and glass bead blast sole edge highlights

14° 17.5° 21° 14° LH, 17.5° LH
    Lefty Lucas

Sounds like the 725 is the pre-cursor to the 515.

The 515 was the first FW to have 0.830 COR. It also has GRT, i.e. a completely flat face which give it different launch characteristics as well.

As you say, try the 725s, and pick up a 515 later.

Thread Information