CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

One Plane Swing Instructor

I have purchased Jim Hardy's book and from what I have read I think I would benefit from switching to a one plane swing. I have the book (which BTW explains both swings quite well) and I have subscribed to an online instruction course but I also need to find a good instructor who can guide me during my learning curve.

Do any of you know of someone, perhaps Golfcoach can? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Luc
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I have purchased Jim Hardy's book and from what I have read I think I would benefit from switching to a one plane swing. I have the book (which BTW explains both swings quite well) and I have subscribed to an online instruction course but I also need to find a good instructor who can guide me during my learning curve.

Do any of you know of someone, perhaps Golfcoach can? Please let me know.

Thanks,
    Luc
    Make a call to Pat Latouroute at the Superdome.

Moving to the "One Plane" type swing is a huge step in the right direction.

Monday Qualifier Started2k3 is on a distinguished road
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!
    Maybe you could be 2 plane left and 1 plane right.
    Back at it.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Moving to the "One Plane" type swing is a huge step in the right direction.
    Do you mean a one plane swing would be beneficial for everyone, or was this specifically directed at Luc?

Andru
    Taking into account BC's opinions on this subject in the past, this is for everyone. Keeping your swing on one plane makes it very simple. However like Hardy says, you have to ignore all tips and fixes out there as most are geared towards a 2 plane move.

I'm not speaking for or on behalf of BC. We've had several discussions on this matter and I've been converted somewhat.

Good Luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Do you mean a one plane swing would be beneficial for everyone, or was this specifically directed at Luc?
    IMO, a "one" plane swing would be beneficial to everyone as it is just easier to repeat and encourages a greater degree of consistency, which makes scoring easier, too. Without repeating much of what I have written before, once you get your lead arm ABOVE the line joining your two shoulder joints(turned shoulder plane) at the top of the backswing, when viewed from down the line, the more the lower body has to be used to help compensate for this "fault." This makes squaring the club face a timing issue and leads to the golfer having to block with the hands/arms to prevent hooking. Tiger was too upright and blocked most of his shots(got stuck) as his lower body had to race forward. With Haney helping him, his swing is a lot flatter and he is almost on the proper plane.

While having the lead arm coincide with the shouder plane is more or less the definition of the single plane swing, having your trail(right) elbow on the shaft axis plane, is what is really important. As the club is taken back your hands, right elbow and the shaft are on the shaft axis plane, until your hand are about hip high. At that point the path of the hands shift upwards to finish on the turned shoulder plane(single plane) while the elbow stays on the shaft axis plane. When the downswing begins there is a small shift of the hands and the shaft back down to the shaft axis plane so that at hip height or just below, the club shaft coincides with the right forearm, which is the most natural and efficient line along which the club GETS released through the ball. It is the small amount of shift that makes this kind of motion easier to repeat. If you go to the opposite extreme which is Jim Furyk, you will see this humungous plane shift that he has to do to hit the ball squarely. He has superior talent and can do this quite well. Those of us who lack world class talent, had better find a simpler position to be in at the top.

While the positions in Jim Hardy's book are perfect at the top, I really don't like what he wants you to do on the downswing. If you do literally what he says, you WILL swing over the top. That is why I recommended Pat in my post above, as I know that : 1. he teaches a single plane swing, and 2. he will get you there without all the bogus mumbo jumbo.

Again, check the shots of John Dunnigan here: http://www.golfbetterproductions.com/the-swing.asp
    Pic 2 shows the classic "One" plane position. Pic 4 shows the shaft coinciding with the right forearm - beautiful. Pic 5 shows the club head CORRECTLY approaching the ball from well inside the target line.

Your swing motion will look like this and your ball striking will become PURE joy - with time and practice.

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Thanks

Thanks for the info Lyle, I will call him. I have only been reading the book for a few days and taken a few swings and it already seems much easier. I am still firing the hips but a little more concentration and practtice with the drills and I will be on my way. BTW, I did purchase the SMT 455 and I am still debating on the shaft for it. I will let you what I decide. I am also looking at the Solitaire for my 3 wood.
    Thank again for all of your help, its much appreciated.
    Luc
    Lefty Lucas

I am still firing the hips
    It is a good idea to "fire" the hips, and let the hands/arms/shoulder package do the job.

BTW, I did purchase the SMT 455 and I am still debating on the shaft for it. I will let you what I decide. I am also looking at the Solitaire for my 3 wood.
    Thank again for all of your help, its much appreciated.
    Luc
    The 455 is a nice choice. I used the Solitaires for awhile until I acquired a couple of Steelhead Plus's from Ebay, until I acquired an Ashton 3W until I acquired a Tour Edge Exotics.... you know how it goes.

Hopelessly Addicted Shivas Irons is on a distinguished road Shivas Irons's Avatar
    Thanks for the explanantion - is this the same as natural golf ?
    To me the position in pic #4 looks the same as Ben Hogan or Chad Cambell's swing - do they both use a one plane swing ?

Quote Originally Posted by Shivas Irons
    Thanks for the explanantion - is this the same as natural golf ?
    To me the position in pic #4 looks the same as Ben Hogan or Chad Cambell's swing - do they both use a one plane swing ?
    It is not the same as Natural Golf for a few reasons. If you look at any NG'er, or any of the other single axis swings, when you look at the golfers address position from down the line view, there will be a straight line (straight angle - 180*) from the shaft up the right forearm. In a traditional swing there is usualy an obtuse angle formed by the shaft and the right arm. Secondly, most single axis swings have the right hand grip more in the palm than across the fingers. The other two differences in the NG swing are that the stance is a lot wider, and the NG'er tries to have his whole body FACING THE BALL at impact. I am entering my 10th season using a single axis swing motion and am very glad that I converted. I just hit the ball straighter.

Regardless of whether one has a traditional swing or an single axis one, we both can swing, using the "One Plane" swing concept. The "One Plane" swing is not a swing on one plane, as there is a plane shift of the hands both up from the shaft axis plane on the backswing and then back down to the SAP, while the right elbow stays on the shaft axis plane, but most understand what the term means.

Both Hogan's and Campbell's swing would be called "One Plane" swings, and there are many others like these two, and the numbers are growing. Zach Johnson, Tom Pernice, Fred Funk is close, VJ is close. Liselotte Neuman, from the LPGA Tour, has one of the best to watch. So simple. No good golf swing is EASY to learn, but this kind of swing motion is EASIER, as long as you don't let yourself get caught up in the typical jungle of useless and unnecessary swing thoughts.

Thanks for the clarification BC, now bring on spring !!

Done!

Well, I am done reading the book, I have practiced the drills a bit and I am starting lessons with Pat Latourette on wednesday. I am excited about the new swing and will let the forum know how the swing is going.
    Lefty Lucas

Wink Thanks Lyle

Well I had my first lesson with Pat and I found it quite enlightening. I am very happy I followed your suggestion. It is one thing reading the book and another getting the instruction on the result that you seek. I had difficulty keeping my lower body more submissive to the turn of the shoulders but I can see how I can be successful with this swing. I will work on it with Pat and practice at home and hopefully by this summer it will come around.
    Lefty Lucas

Well I had my first lesson with Pat and I found it quite enlightening. I am very happy I followed your suggestion. It is one thing reading the book and another getting the instruction on the result that you seek. I had difficulty keeping my lower body more submissive to the turn of the shoulders but I can see how I can be successful with this swing. I will work on it with Pat and practice at home and hopefully by this summer it will come around.
    Glad to see that the lesson went well for you. Pat has a refreshingly interesting approach to how he teaches and will cater what he does to the golfers interest and willingness to understand what is required.

We had a good chat again this morning before your lesson and I continue to be impressed with him. He is one of the few who, IMO, really knows what he is doing.

Thread Information