100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Major Poster EDSGOLF is on a distinguished road

Mario Lemieux Retires

http://www.EatDrinkSleepGolf.com
    Myrtle Beach Golf

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    No surprise there, was only a matter of time. Besides why would he want to return to play on a team that SUCKS? Too bad though.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    No suprise really. I'm sure that heart condition opened his eyes a little, even though he was still training. Too bad though, most of us will remember the Mario of the last couple of years as opposed to the dominating force of the 90s he once was. I sit at my computer desk right now and look at the memerobilia I have of him, and I know I'll remember him as Mario Le Magnifique, one of my favourite players of all time.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    He was done before the season started. No big surprise.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    True very true Reid. But I think he felt obligated to be a mentor to Crosby and thought he could tough out one more season. But I guess all those injuries and Father Time finally convinced him to pack it in.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    Used to love the Mario of all, but his comeback really tainted my image of him. I know his initial career got cut short by injury, but so did Orr's.

I think its a shame that he came back, just like Jordan did. Now all the kids of today will remember a washed up Mario, unlike Gretzky who they look at as a legend. I am not saying he wasn't great, but most players are remember by what they did at the end of the career.

Like they said "What have you done lately?" It's sad but true, i really think his legend will be forever tarnished!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by davevandyk
    Used to love the Mario of all, but his comeback really tainted my image of him. I know his initial career got cut short by injury, but so did Orr's.

I think its a shame that he came back, just like Jordan did. Now all the kids of today will remember a washed up Mario, unlike Gretzky who they look at as a legend. I am not saying he wasn't great, but most players are remember by what they did at the end of the career.

Like they said "What have you done lately?" It's sad but true, i really think his legend will be forever tarnished!
    I disagree. Granted, he didn't play as well as before his initial retirement, but he was still a dominant player for the first few years back. I remember him coming in with a bang against Toronto. I was actually really impressed with his level of play, as a 30-something cancer survivor and ex-smoker (he did quit, right).

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Hey even this year, every game he played he had a few points and always made a difference. He seems to have away of making players play his game and his vision is unreal. To bad for the Pens, Palffy, Mario who’s next? Not the season they had in mind. Their only hope is to move to a hockey city, get Malkin in a uniform beside Crosby, try again at the free market thing, trade some of this baggage they have and last but not lease, come in lat place and draft Kessle. Now that would be a trio of young guys to build a franchise around, remember Tampa Bay?

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Sounds like a good plan. The only thing I'd change is that, in their situation, I'd take Johnson - they need to get some defence in behind crosby and malkin, because they won't be providing it.

Must be Single mberube is on a distinguished road mberube's Avatar
    Farewell to one of the greats. My favourite player of all times. I grew up “trying” to imitate all his moves in minor hockey. I will miss super Mario “Le Magnifique”.

Strive for perfection, but never expect it!

Uber Poster Paulio is on a distinguished road Paulio's Avatar
    The greatest ever - he will be missed! What would this man have done if he was healthy? Gosh...

Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Sounds like a good plan. The only thing I'd change is that, in their situation, I'd take Johnson - they need to get some defence in behind crosby and malkin, because they won't be providing it.
    I agree with you as well, i think they would be better equipped if they picked up a good, tough d-man. Don't forgot they have MA Fleury as well. Granted his numbers are horrible, but who's wouldn't be on a team like this. He is gonna be a great goalie if he gets some support on the d infront of him.

I was think of getting a good D-man with a trade or free agency. Lets face it gonchar has been a complete flop along with the rest of the free agents. Johnson is a solid D-man and if it was Phenuf I would be on board but I wouldn't pass up Kessle. He will be the face of the American Hockey program for years to come.

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    I was think of getting a good D-man with a trade or free agency. Lets face it gonchar has been a complete flop along with the rest of the free agents. Johnson is a solid D-man and if it was Phenuf I would be on board but I wouldn't pass up Kessle. He will be the face of the American Hockey program for years to come.
    I am definetly not sold on Kessel at all, especially from seeing him at the World Juniors. He was easily neutralized at the tourney, while Johnson was effective against all teams and players. Erik Johnson is now actually rated above Kessel in the latest rankings, with Kessel slipping to second. Look out for Toews and Staal who are both putting up impressive numbers and could go at the top as well.

It all comes down to what the team needs, a solid D or a forward.

I really like Staal as well! From what I saw, he was the best D-man at the Juniors.

no this is the third of the Staals, Jordan. Marc, who was the one in the World Juniors got drafted last year, 12th i believe, by the Rangers.

Jordan is a center and being from Thunder Bay, i got to watch these guys a lot growing up. Jordan has been regarded as the best Staal for a couple of years now, should be scary!

Its gonna be fun, there is a 4th Staal that is playing AAA hockey in T.Bay and is also amazing!

Thread Information