100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road

Golf Digest's Hot Tips

In a moment of extreme weakness and vulnerability I got lured into buying the February issue of Golf Digest magazine. $6.89, tax included, but it weighed a pound and a half. Actually, I did not see that it was a golf magazine, I just noticed “The Hot List, Uncensored,” on the cover and shelled out. Or, perhaps it was the “36 Hot Tips,” that got to me, but, we all know that, like stock tips and diets, they don’t work, unless it is a like the tip that we give to the bosomy, white T-shirt clad cart girl, that keeps her coming around every two holes to see if we need something.

Believe it or not, I bought my first Golf Digest in June 1963. Remember that time? Lester Pearson was Prime Minister, Charlotte Whitton was mayor of Ottawa, Bob Stimpson won the Alexander of Tunis, golf balls were ALL balata made from a balata tree, woods were wood, all irons were blades, the 19th Tee was owned by Earl Stimpson and run by him and his two daughters, Colleen and ????, bottles of Coke were 7 cents for 6 ounces and 10 cents for 10 ounces, JFK was a man not an airport, Valentina Tereshkova was the first woman in space, golfers had handicaps, not factors, wrote their scores on handicap cards that were verified by the committee(me), Julius Boros won the US Open and two fat kids, Jack and Phil(No, not Mickelson) were starting to make an impact in professional golf.

In 1963, Golf Digest was 95% featured articles and 5% advertising. Now it is 95% advertising and 5% “featured” articles. Remember Jackie Cupit’s “To Loop or Not to Loop?” No?? Oh!!

As evidenced by the “Hot Tips” in the most recent issue, it is amazing to see how far golf swing instruction had advanced in 43+ years.
    Consider Jim Flick’s “Master Tips.” You should:
    1. use your left knee for rhythm and to initiate the downswing
    2. move your left knee laterally,
    3. slightly before you rotate the left thigh, and,
    4. turn your hips through

Hank Haney tells us to;
    1. cock the wrists upward on the BS,
    2. you should uncock downward on the DS
    3. include some rotation
    Unfortunately, Mr. Haney must have skipped the class on abduction, adduction and flexion, ‘cause he would have know that ONLY the left wrist cocks and it does NOT uncock.

Dr. Jim Suttie (was he an optometrist, like Gil Morgan?, a G.S.E.D??)wants us to:
    1. shift our weight to the right heel on the backswing
    2. to our left big toe at impact, and
    3. to our left heel on the follow through

Now, with these tips, and the other 26, you can see why golf has become such a simple game. Follow these simple ideas and your score will change by 10 shots a round. Guaranteed. Imagine if all GD’s had 36 tips starting in 1963. You would have over 19,000 things to think of when you swung. Buried on page 197 in the “Breaking 100,” section, which is appropriate since this is what you will be scoring if you try the above, is this timely tip from a Chris Smith, a tip simple like his name. “Remember, golfers are athletes, and most sports activities are performed without conscious thoughts. When you throw a ball, you don’t think about your weight shift, but your body shifts instinctively. Keep your mind out of the way.” Chris must be an old fart. Is it NOT ironic that the only one of these gentleman who is telling the truth, you‘ve never heard of before and the other three are making millions?

Last thoughts: “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex.. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” Albert Einstein

Gap Wedge GolfOttawa is on a distinguished road
    BC Mist

I wonder if someone wrote a book on how the golf club was designed to work and explained what the target line was, and how important alignment is to consistency,also that the club actually does all the work via swing plane and its design and that ball flight is the best feedback in golf.No instead we all talk about positions in the golf swing hips, shoulders,weight shift body parts.Funny all Tiger woods talks about after his round is ballflight?

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GolfOttawa
    BC Mist

I wonder if someone wrote a book on how the golf club was designed to work and explained what the target line was, and how important alignment is to consistency,also that the club actually does all the work via swing plane and its design and that ball flight is the best feedback in golf.No instead we all talk about positions in the golf swing hips, shoulders,weight shift body parts.Funny all Tiger woods talks about after his round is ballflight.
    ...umm..actually they did...It's called The Search for the Perfect Golf Club by Tom Wishon.

"Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Quote Originally Posted by sharkhark
    ...umm..actually they did...It's called The Search for the Perfect Golf Club by Tom Wishon.
    Agreed. For anyone genuienly interested in finding out about the meaning of the various club parameters, this is by far the best book out there. Even if you are going to buy from a retailer, after reading Tom's no BS book, you will be armed with the background knowledge necessary to ask the appropriate questions.

Also, Tom is coming out with a clubfitting book in March. Can't wait.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Buried on page 197 in the “Breaking 100,” section, which is appropriate since this is what you will be scoring if you try the above, is this timely tip from a Chris Smith, a tip simple like his name. “Remember, golfers are athletes, and most sports activities are performed without conscious thoughts. When you throw a ball, you don’t think about your weight shift, but your body shifts instinctively. Keep your mind out of the way.” Chris must be an old fart. Is it NOT ironic that the only one of these gentleman who is telling the truth, you‘ve never heard of before and the other three are making millions?

Last thoughts: “Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex.. It takes a touch of genius, and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.” Albert Einstein
    Well, if it's the same Chris Smith that plays on the PGA Tour, then he has made his millions as well...his thinking amplifies the difference between a "player" and a "teacher."

Quote Originally Posted by sensfan63
    Well, if it's the same Chris Smith that plays on the PGA Tour, then he has made his millions as well...his thinking amplifies the difference between a "player" and a "teacher."
    Well said, even though the Chris Smith who wrote the article is the local professional at Pumpkin Ridge GC, in Oregon.

Championship Cup sensfan63 is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    Well said, even though the Chris Smith who wrote the article is the local professional at Pumpkin Ridge GC, in Oregon.
    Touche...

Thread Information