100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Driver Woes

Ty Webb

Driver Woes

I am a second year golfer and hit in the 110-120 range. I hit my 4 wood about 200 yards and usually straight. I don't have a 3 wood. When I attempt to hit my driver, it goes straight or to the right but only about 100 yards and usually along the grass. I would like to learn to use this club properly. It has a 10.5 degree loft.

Any tips?

Spinaker
    Hi Ty,
    Well I'm a complete beginner. I've been to the driving range like 4x and went golfing for the first time today. Shot a 134 on 18. Very bad I know. What I think might hekp you with your driver problem is the height of the ball on the tee. I"m assuming your teeing off when you have this problem right? I've found from my short experience that raising or lowering the tee/ball depending on the driver makes a difference. Maybe this is just some stupid conclusion I've made but its worth a try I think. Maybe you've already known this for 2years and this is just wasting your time. I'm basically all over the place on my shots so I have no real idea what I'm talking about and if anyone has tips for me (besides giving up the sport to save injury to others) I'd like to hear them. I'm a lefty and have bad slices. I'm unsure of how full of a swing I should be taking, how to stand and where the ball should be. (I prefer to stand behind the ball on all my shots??, besides putting.), grip, lining up shots or tricks to help with that and everything else. Well enough about me. GOod luck Ty. Hope it helps a bit.:bablefish

Spinaker
    Oh..one more thing. At the range I drive about 200-270 with a crappy driver and ball. This is about the only part of the game I'm somewhat proficient in.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar

Driver

Your club is only hitting the "top" half of the ball, which is called a "thin" shot. There are lots of reasons for it, but the first things to try would be:

1) move the ball position in your stance. Ideal spot is just inside the left heel (for RH golfers) for the driver, but it can vary from one person to the next and from one club to the next.

2) tee the ball up a little higher, especially if you have an oversize driver.

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

Lessons

You guys ever think about paying for some lessons? I struggled with my game, couldn't hit the ball consistant at all. My score was anywhere from 110 to 135 and higher. Most aspects of the game were brutal. One spring I spent $125 and took five 45 minute lessons at Bob's golf in Bells Corners (probably cost a bit more now), let me tell you it was well worth the money. I had no idea my fundamentals of golf...i.e Grip, ball position, stance and swing plane were so poor. Immediate results lowered my score 10-15 strokes. I now occasionally break 90. You can ask for pointers from people you don't know and most will give you solid advice but you really can't compare to instruction from a certified club pro.

Caddy powerlefty is on a distinguished road

Lessons

Everyone should take an occasional lesson. Paying the $40 or so for a private lesson is worth far more than paying that much or more to hit range balls. A CPGA pro has an eye for even the most minute errors in setup, grip, posture, etc and usually sees things that you yourself don't even realize you are doing. Sometimes a very minor adjustment is the difference between launching a 200 yard hook that sails accross three fairways and a nice 280 yard centre-cut draw. You can also tailor your lesson to the particular part of the game that is causing you the most trouble - putting, chipping, pitches, iron shots, tee shots, etc.

3 Wood golfdoc is on a distinguished road

true

You are correct. Taking lessons is a key. Everyone is willing to give advice, but most people probably should worry about improving their own game first.

It is very difficult to say what to change in your swing based on a description. Your drives could go low and right because you catch them thin and have a slice; or you catch them thin and push them right; or you align yourself right and the club face is slightly closed... there are lots of possible reasons.

The majority of beginners, or high handicappers have an outside-in swing with leads to a weak swing let by the arms. Most drives end up slicing right because of this. You can get away with it using short irons because the swing is more upright.

Gap Wedge ParT is on a distinguished road
    If you're hitting the 4 wood properly, take it to a club fitter and have them copy the specs to your driver. That's one solution.

If you're hitting the ball very low, chances are you're hitting it on the down swing. Try this, when starting your back swing, make note of your shoulders. They should both be behind the ball. They should both remain behind the ball until impact. This is to be achieved while minimizing all lateral movement in your body. In other words, twist the upper body and minimize the sway from left to right or vice vesa. A good exercise is to place a broken shaft on the ground between your legs (pointing front and back of you). When in full rotation, make sure your shoulders line up with the shaft. Start your downswing and make sure your back knee and club line up with the shaft you have placed on the ground at the point of impact. Try this several times and you'll get a feel for what I mean when I state that both shoulders should remain behing the ball until impact. Doing this will allow you to hit the ball on the upswing. Good luck.

54Rigger
    Ty,

Please Ignore any advice you get from posting this question.

The problem you are describing could be originating from any one of a hundred things. Fact is if you're just learning to play golf and you aren't yet breaking 110 then you should probably leave most of your clubs at home. Every club should be hit the same way, but until you develope a good swing you'll find yourself compensating with each club to make up for the problems with your swing. A lesson with a golf pro is not only the best way to begin and improve your swing, but it will also be the cheapest.

I've a long way to go before I'll be satisfied with my game but last year I retired more golf balls than I lost. I think I make it through a season using 2 dozen balls and I play 60-70 games a year. In previous years I've bought as many as 8-10 dz balls and
    I attribute the reduction to good golf instruction.

I really hope you pursue the game and if you do this then you will eventually seek out a good pro. Doing so early will save you money and aggravation. Once you have a good swin foundation then you can come back here and discuss all the finer points of the golf swing on this Forum and the tips and tricks will be helpfull rather than destructive

Rig

Ty Webb
    My Brain Hurts! Information overload.

Thanks to all who have taken the time to respond.

Ty

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

hurting brain

All this instruction...So much to remember. It is a wonder we can get our club on the ball. There is only one solution Ty.PRACTICE

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    Andre, practice in golf "makes permanent" not perfect. I'd recomment to any beginner, take at least a few lessons and then do the drills, then practice what you are taught.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar

practice

Dan. I agree that every beginner should take at least a few lessons. But even if they do they should not expect any great improvement if they don't practice. Perfection in golf does not exist...If I can give a word of advice to Ty that would be to remember his best shots. All that Mumbo Jumbo about the take away, the shoulders etc.. in writing won't do him much good. If you want to get better in sand traps you'll have to go out there drop a few balls and experiment...Same with downhill sidehill lies.Regards.

Thread Information