+ Reply to Thread

Thread: grip size

I'm a regular Andy4Par is on a distinguished road Andy4Par's Avatar

grip size

My father is a slicer. He's lefty, pushing sixty, and swings more round the body with abbreviated backswing and an over the top, out to in swing plane. I've been working with him a little to correct this slicing action first by getting more on plane and by moving the left foot back to promote a more inside out swing. It seemed to be working rather well, increase in distance, straighter shots, more confidence. Still a pronounced fade but nowhere near the banana he hit before. My question is can grip size alter your shot pattern? I seem to remember a previous post about this...

ie. larger grips would promote slice or hook?

The reason I'm asking is he's arthritic and I looked at several grips specific to that and they looked larger than the standard.

We are also looking at more friendly shafts for his swing speed but thats another thread.

Gap Wedge golfCOACH is on a distinguished road
    Try arthritic grips.. their bigger, but they work. However, a smaller grip has been know to allow the hands to release the club a little easier. I think his slicing problems are more mechanical, i.e. grip, backswing positions, and the most common, a quick lower body that throws the shoulders right out and across the line. Rear foot back is a great drill: its preventing the right hip from moving outwards and allowing the arms to fall down.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by golfCOACH
    Rear foot back is a great drill: its preventing the right hip from moving outwards and allowing the arms to fall down.
    I can attest to that, I had a terrible slice for years or 'power fade' as I liked to call it! A frind suggest that I put my right foot back about 6 to 8 inches to rey it. I did exactly that and since then, the only power fade I have hit is when I try to get some extra yardage by swinging so hard I come out of my shoes! Everybody laughs at my stance, but hey, it works for me....
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Thread Information