100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Gap Wedge golfCOACH is on a distinguished road

Your Mental Game

How many golfers do you think there are that think they take the game seriously but don't focus attention to their mental game?
    This is a never ending process, just like your swing, but what kinds of things are available to the average player to improve their particular game?

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I'd be intersted to hear... The mental part is definately a big barrier for me to begin scoring where I want...

Albatross sandbagger72 is on a distinguished road sandbagger72's Avatar
    Most players have a problem focusing when they address the ball, lot of golfers could save 3-4 strokes just by taking their time and not ruching themselves. i see it happen all the time. they'll spend a fortune on lessons then when it comes time to play they don't apply themselves and rush their shots. simple barrier.
    Proost!

Actually, I rarely see any golfer lose focus over the golf ball. Even the 110 shooter we all know has some degree of focus over the ball. What they're focusing on is a different story. Most amateur's lose focus of what is important, and focus on swing mechanics and arm position. Have you ever thrown a ball and concentrated on how you hinge and release your arm and wrist? I hope not. Once a player has made the decision on the type of shot, and analyzed all the factors (wind, lie, distance) the next step is to rely on what you've got and focus on the target. Annika is so target oriented that she actually appears to "peak" at the target through impact. Duval was this way during his prime as well, but this had more to do with squaring the clubface and holding on because he gripped it with such a strong left hand "ala" Azinger. We hear of the term 'rushing' when someone short cuts their preshot routine. We've all heard how important a preshot routine is, but do you know what tour players are doing in their preshot routine? ..other than looking down the line? Most preshot routines have a very similar checklist....

Amateur Brianson is on a distinguished road Brianson's Avatar

Putting track and Trust in yourself

I don't know about you guys but the easiest way for me to focus probably is to try not focusing on all the aspects of your swing, ball position, etc. I save that for the practice tee. I find that when I'm able to step up to the ball and just trust myself to make the swing I know I can swing, I play the greatest shots of my life, and it just seems so easy.

Also, I'm not sure if many others get this, but when I'm having a great day putting it all starts with seeing an imaginary line or track from the ball to the hole. I don't know what it is but if there's break in the putt I will see the perfect line breaking right-left or vise versa almost as if its engrained into the green. It's not actually there but when I'm seeing it I hit my putts right on line.

The mental game is huge, even in preparation for a tourney I'll watch some PGA coverage and just watching some guys swing and the shots they choose give me the confidence when I hit the course.
    I keep commas, over long periods.

Approaching the shot with confidence is huge, and trusting your mechanics allows for focus to be directed at the target. Using imagery, you see a line and allow yourself to focus the line rather than the blade of your club. There's a book out called Every Shot Must Have A Purpose which talks about this.

6 Iron Thimble is on a distinguished road
    pre-shot routine pre-shot routine pre-shot routine.

Thread Information