CorporateGolfXtra 2024
+ Reply to Thread
    Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar

Unhappy Running out of balls

GLENEAGLES, Scotland -- Scotland's William Guy was disqualified from the Scottish PGA Championship when he ran out of golf balls.

The Edinburgh professional had lost his entire allocation of balls by the seventh hole of his second round, having crashed to 10-over-par for the tournament.

Guy was unable to borrow balls from his playing partners because they were not playing the same compression or brand.

Sweden's Anders Forsbrand once had to retire from the French Open in Paris when he ran out of balls on the 18th hole, heading for a round in the hundreds.

It was the second mishap of the day for a Scot.

Alastair Forsyth, this year's Malaysian Open winner, ran up a 10 on the 17th after losing two balls while getting out from a bunker.

He still made the cut on two-over-par 146.

http://sports.espn.go.com/golf/story?id=1421930

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I don't agree that he was allowed to borrow b/c the balls were not the same compression. Does it really make that much of a difference?

Bogey Golf
    Yes, I'm confused too...

I thought the rules only stated that you had to hole out with the same type of ball as you began the hole with. In other words, you couldn't use a distance ball off the tee, and then when you get to the green, mark and replace it with a Titleist, etc...

Am I breaking the rules of golf if I use a Top Flite XL3000 Super Straight on one hole, and then a Maxifli A-10 on another? I never really thought about it before, but maybe I am. After all, I could use the former on a long par 5, and then use a Pro V1 on a short par 3 with a tiny green I needed to stick.

Anybody got an answer???

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    The PGA tour has a Local Rule limiting the competitor to one ball.

If you play a Prov1 on the first tee, you may only substitute another of the same brand and model for your entire round. Obviously this rule is in force on the Scottish PGA as well.

As for you and I... We are allowed to change balls on every tee. Softies for par 3's and distance for the monster 5's if you wish.

We are not allowed to switch until holed, so you cannot hit the distance ball on the fairway, and putt with the softie.

I am not sure what the rule for us is if you loose your last ball of a certain type, and must substitute something else in mid hole, but I am pretty sure that it is OK. Gary?

Fairway Junkie dasnutz is on a distinguished road dasnutz's Avatar
    I heard that competitors are limited to the number of balls in their bag. Is this true? If so, how many are they allowed to carry?

7 Iron statsfreak is on a distinguished road

Talking Using the same ball

If the same rule applied to play in general that would make it aweful tough on those of us with a mixed collection of balls in the bag.

Shotmaker spidey is on a distinguished road spidey's Avatar
    Dan...
    I am not sure what the rule for us is if you loose your last ball of a certain type,
    The rules do not prohibit the player from substituting any kind of ball if the ball is lost.

Dasnuts...
    I heard that competitors are limited to the number of balls in their bag.
    Ball manufacturers allot only a certain number of balls per day to a player, but players can carry as many balls as they like. Most of them are superstitious about it, so they only carry a certain number of balls. I believe the daily allotment of balls is between 3 and 4 dozen. Pro's typically use a ball for no more than 3 holes before changing.... and they don't lose very many of them, especially with the size of the crowds watching in the landing areas...
    [color=blue]s[/color][color=red]p[/color][color=blue]i[/color][color=red]d[/color][color=blue]e[/color][color=red]y[/color]

[color=seagreen]"Got more dirt than ball. Here we go again."
    Alan Shepard, Apollo 14 Commander, Amateur-Golfer, preparing to take another swing during his famous moon walk in 1971.
    [/color]

I'm a regular em69 is on a distinguished road em69's Avatar
    My rule...
    Play with whatever I find in the woods.

Thread Information