100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Pitching Wedge clubfixer is on a distinguished road clubfixer's Avatar

Titleist 983 reshaft

Speaking to reshafting these heads with a GD YS 6, we would all agree that with the extra long hosel in these clubheads, the shafts will play stiffer than the listed flex. That being a given, I have two questions. When plugging the bottom of the bore 1 1/2" will the shaft still play stiffer than the listed flex? Does anyone have any experience shafting these heads at different bore depths? I am looking to achieve 7.0 at 44 1/2" with a SW of D0, taking in account 6 extra wraps of tape with a 50 gram grip.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Play it as it lies...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Okay guys. I was hoping someone has tackled this job to make the dry fitting a little more comfortable. I am a little anxious about this because these sticks are those of a reigning state open champ, and not that we don't do it right all the time; but, it is times like this we want do to our homework. The shafts will be in Tuesday and I should have this fitted out by Thursday. I suspect with the 3.5" extra long hosel, I'll have to plug at least 1.5" - 2" of the bottom of the bore to get these to play to their listed flex. The problem is Titleist didn't want to share anything, not even the head weight, which drilled out to all but 1.5" is 204 grams. My guess is that the total weight will end up around 342 grams and even increasing the grip weight to 60 grams, the best I'll get is D1 on the SW. Wish me luck.

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clubfixer
    Speaking to reshafting these heads with a GD YS 6, we would all agree that with the extra long hosel in these clubheads, the shafts will play stiffer than the listed flex. That being a given, I have two questions. When plugging the bottom of the bore 1 1/2" will the shaft still play stiffer than the listed flex? Does anyone have any experience shafting these heads at different bore depths? I am looking to achieve 7.0 at 44 1/2" with a SW of D0, taking in account 6 extra wraps of tape with a 50 gram grip.

Plugging will make the shaft play softer. Same deal as a deep bore standard bore and blind bore. Same shaft in a thru bore is the stiffest. Standard bore is your softest. Here is a way to find out the right tipping without following the trimming method unless the shaft is a cut to playing length only. If you have raw shaft that measures 46 inches and you dry fit it without any tip trimming. If for example your clubs ends up at 47.5 then you have to trim 1.5 inches from the tip. As far as 7.0 I can't help you. Precision has a different method of measuring frequency i.e 2,5 clamp with a 280 something weight.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by clubfixer
    Send me your email and I'll send you a neat swingweight calculator where you can plug in all the numbers to achieve your desired swingweight.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road

The depth at what you insert yout tip will have very little affect in acheiving 7.0. It will affect the flex of the tip section the most . The 7.0 reading is a product of butt clamping, thus, butt section flex. What flex of y6 are you using?

I am using an S for the driver and an X for the 5 wood. The hosel length of the driver is 3.5" and the 5 wood is 2.5". I think if I were to insert, lets use letter flex's, an A flex all the way through the bore it would Frequency out two flex's stronger to a Stiff.

So the theory is if I plug the bottom 1.5" and insert the Stiff Flex 2.5" I should end up with an X Flex.

All this is only theory now as Golfsmith has held up my shaft order two weeks now. They should be here tomorrow. I am anxious about this job as I said and look forward to comforting criticism. Otherwise, any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Additionally, The swinger of this stick has great feel, and I want to match the 7.0 frequency of the driver he was playing (butt clamped 5" with grip on) until the face cracked.

What shaft was in the club before?

Titleist Speeder. He plays the GD YS 7 in his Callaway 3 wood. That is why it was his decision to go with the same shaft in all 3 woods.

I might have something here for you! Taken from " The modern guide to shaft fitting ",
    YS 7 X flex

Club static weight 320.9 gr. head weight 195.2 grip 50.6 preped shaft 75.1g
    cpm 263 45" Blind Bore install

Your Titleist head is a little heavier, but at 44.5", youshould be close

Good luck

Thread Information