100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Steve, thanks for the offer of help. You've had lots of experience organizing and your insights would be welcomed. We will try to limit the "commitee" to a few people as to not get to crowded. But if you are truly interested in helping send me your email via pm, challengegolf and Indio are already in, and we will start laying the ground work. The sooner the better.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Sounds interesting!! Although I have never done any tournaments or anything like that yet. I hope I don't disgrace myself
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Oh sure, take credit for my idea!

OK, my team is Little Brit, 4Iron and Schtikette (sp?) Oh wait, maybe I should ask them first? LOL

I think it would be a hoot.... nothing competitive..... just a fun day, evening and night out!

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I am also here as an advisor if you want Geoff.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Alright, so we have a commitee, myself, Indio and challengegolf (or better known as Claude). I guess over the next few months us three (or if others are interested) can start laying some ground work for this. As a start guys, perhaps we could start a poll in the Arrange a Game forum and ask which course the members would like to play if this was to happen. What do you think? As well guys, pm me with your emails so we can stay in touch.
    Geoff,

My email is include in my Profile..... I say lets do it If was start now, maybe Mother Nature won't seem to be such a *(&?*&?/ for as long as usual!. I am not on the puter on the weekend, just during the week but I will setup to forward any of your emails to my 'blackberry' next week once I know what yours is.

Cheers!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

tourny

DBleber I organised 2 there last year and 3 the year before and they don't have restriction on the number of players and you don't have to have dinner there either. Of course the more players the merrier and if you are going to eat there, they want to cater instead of every body going through the restaurant as it is not the biggest one. I know that at one point there was some restriction on numbers but the tourny that I organised were for 24-32 and 36 players. It was an easy way to let my dad's friend to enjoy Hylands (restriction of 3 guess at a time) for cheaper ($40 for non military during the week but they charged $33 for tourny????). I guess they made more money on carts as they were charging more for those than the reg price (I think it was $7 more)
    Thanks
    Claude

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by challengegolf
    Mind you we would need a definate set date and as close as possible the number of golfers willing to play in it.
    THESE are the issues that go with the organising of events. I have 1o event shedule of events already booked for next season. Alo our Annual Ryder cup event and my Stuggy Invitational already booked. Dont forget many of the courses also will reqquire a deposit depending on how many golfers/non-golfers you wish to book.

Easy to say I'll be there but then someone books it in and oops I have a wedding to go to that day and now i cant make it. One less player. Have that happen 5-6-7-8 times and there goes a dozen or so more people who cant "make" it now. Or my buddy cant go so I wont either.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    Sounds interesting!! Although I have never done any tournaments or anything like that yet. I hope I don't disgrace myself
    Oh LB trust me, this will not be the highlight of your golfing career...... we want this to be for people to get together, meet, share stories and have fun.... and ya, get in a few whacks a that little white (or orange, pink, blue, yellow) sucker!

Tell me, how BIG is your hubby??? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

For a start, I posted a "Day of the week" poll in "Arrange a Game" forum. It is the start we'll need guys to get this rolling.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    Easy to say I'll be there but then someone books it in and oops I have a wedding to go to that day and now i cant make it. One less player. Have that happen 5-6-7-8 times and there goes a dozen or so more people who cant "make" it now. Or my buddy cant go so I wont either.

You are exactly right Steve. I organize the tourney for my work and I don't know how many people back out at the last minute. Well all we can do is try and see what happens. If there is not enough response it won't happen. That is why I'd like to get it rolling now so we know where we stand.

Quote Originally Posted by little brit
    No disgrace if your having fun, meeting new people, playing golf, drinking beer Ok maybe not in that order but you get the idea. the more the merrier.

Yah it can be a bit of a process... establish price point, course, date, rain date (god forbid), dinner or not, format, final price, player commitments, deposit money, charity? prizes, ctp, long drive, more prizes, loot bags...
    Day of the event is a blur, get everyone organized, play your own game, scoring, stories, whiners, dinner, thank you's, prizes, kudos, sleep.
    Been there done that! It's awesome when all goes perfectly!

I agree with you Dan. That is why I wasn't going to take this on by myself. With others to help hopefully we'll all be responsible for something to take the load off others.

You are wise to limit your comittee to a few enthusiastic people.

Suggested format???

My vote would be Texas Scramble!

An extra element to the regular scramble tournament.

All hit tee shots and find best one of the four. All drop at that ball. All four FINISH out their hole. Take the 2 best scores and add them together. Do it again and again and again. If a players picks up you have 3 balls left. Hard to go under par in this one. But you still get at least 2 guys going for broke every hole,

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Oh LB trust me, this will not be the highlight of your golfing career...... we want this to be for people to get together, meet, share stories and have fun.... and ya, get in a few whacks a that little white (or orange, pink, blue, yellow) sucker!

Tell me, how BIG is your hubby??? JUST KIDDING EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Great sounds like lots of fun. Although I won't hold you to having me in your 4 some. You may wish for a more experienced player By the way I like anything in the south end, Manderley, Emerald links, stonebridge, etc etc

tourny

Good idea for a format Noback. I know that all the tourny that I organised to make the team fair, We asked that all submit their handicap and made all foursome as close as possible ( ie hdcp of 4+10+12+1 = 27 and all teams around that number) we usually ended up with almost all teams with the same number and 1 or 2 with 1 over the number or 1 under. It always worked great and made for fair teams. It can happen that a couple of guys get hot that day and play under their handicap but all in all it comes out pretty even with the winning team winning by 1 or 2 strokes. I know that we usually made the 10 handicap and below play from the blue and the rest from the whites.
    Thanks
    Claude

Handicapping is ok when you know everyone in the field, such as a tour. I'd go for a format that does not use hcp. I think the Texas Scramble is perfect for this type of event. I have played in a few and it really works well. Build a team and try to win it, or just see how low your group can go!

Agreed
    trying to mix people with others just doesnt seem to work. Better to make them themselves, although singles are always welcomed and placed where needed. Its hard to know handicaps when you dont belong to a club ......

And there is the dreaded sandbaggers

tourny

I understand what you are saying Dan and Noback but on the other hand if you get a foursome of lets say Bc , SH and 2 other in the same low low handicap, would'nt that make it less interesting for the other groups?
    Claude

Not as much as a group of "18 hcp" who play like 10's.
    Just don't make the winner's prize out of proportion.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Not as much as a group of "18 hcp" who play like 10's.
    Just don't make the winner's prize out of proportion.
    Exactly.

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Or have a random draw for three prizes out of the groups with the three lowest scores and the two groups with the highest scores (so three groups out of the five win)
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

tourny

That's also a good idea Colby. Anyone with suggestions or ideas are welcome to pm me or geoff or post here, any idea will help make this a success.
    Thanks
    Claude

I want colby on my team. Need that extra 60 yrds off the tee and this is the only way to get. And I'll take mpare as our Senior player

56 yrds

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Random draws for prizes is always fun, but for an event like this why not keep it simple and have low key prizes or none at all. Lets face it most of us just want to get out and meet each other and get an early round in, most of us don't need another sleeve of balls or whatever.

bbad
    As long as its not on the day of the Gollf-o-max tourny (June 26th?), I'm in.....

Colby can get a holf of me.

Quote Originally Posted by bbad
    As long as its not on the day of the Gollf-o-max tourny (June 26th?), I'm in.....

Colby can get a holf of me.
    Dru's tournament is usually on a monday end of june so i would guess on the 27th

Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Random draws for prizes is always fun, but for an event like this why not keep it simple and have low key prizes or none at all. Lets face it most of us just want to get out and meet each other and get an early round in, .
    Exactly what I was going to say. I personally with my own friends in recent years discovered how much more difficult each layer adds i.e. prizes, meals etc.
    I had a group of twelve that became 6 over time, got left with extra meals etc etc, never again.

Kiss method. Just meeting everyone and playing would be fine. If a few token prizes ok but not even necessary.

Maybe a local venue (clubhouse or bar for fun after). That's it. Cheers Shark
    Just wanna
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    I want colby on my team. Need that extra 60 yrds off the tee and this is the only way to get. And I'll take mpare as our Senior player
    Ahem...what about me mister.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Thread Information