100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar

Forum Tournament this summer

Now being that I am new in hear and don't know much about the place, I may be way out in left field on this suggestion!

Now Dan Seems like a very astute individual with alot of leadership talents and he obviously puts alot of time into running the Forum and keeping us 'paying customers' in line.

Wouldn't it be great if Dan, Reid and Geoff were to organize the 1st Annual Ottawa Golf Members Tournament so not only the great golfers that play in the league get to meet each other, but us 'floggers' who spend time trading quips and barbs with other members in the forum get to meet in person all together and share a beer or 3?

Hmmm, wonder if this will get moved or locked before anyone gets a chance to jump on the recruit Dan bandwagon?
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I'd play in it. I bet a few local courses would offer some free rounds or whatnot as prizes. It would be more like a company tournament purely for fun (obviously you'd like to place well but that's not the emphasis).

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Indio, it doesn't have to be an "official" web site tournament. We could just arrange it amongst ourselves. Reid here once organized a couple of days of golf for members of anothe site he frequents. It wouldn't be hard. Just use the "Arrange A Game" forum. I'd be interested in meeting others from the site. When we get closer to spring lets pursue it further.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    I'd play in it. I bet a few local courses would offer some free rounds or whatnot as prizes. It would be more like a company tournament purely for fun (obviously you'd like to place well but that's not the emphasis).
    Hell, I would be there with bells on my toes to meet the rest of the lost lonely souls who have nothing better to do than spend their days on the forum! LOL

Must be Single 1972Apex is on a distinguished road 1972Apex's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    so not only the great golfers that play in the league get to meet each other
    Man, you have obviously not played a National Capital Golf Tour event. We are the worst collection of competitive golfers you could possibly imagine....

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff Johnston
    Indio, it doesn't have to be an "official" web site tournament. We could just arrange it amongst ourselves. Reid here once organized a couple of days of golf for members of anothe site he frequents. It wouldn't be hard. Just use the "Arrange A Game" forum. I'd be interested in meeting others from the site. When we get closer to spring lets pursue it further.
    Well, I was thinking it would also help Dan promote the site and services provided I have been in Ottawa for a long time and have been a member at a local club for 12 years, and I did not know this site existed until a friend of mine turned me on to it (NO honey, I didn't mean 'turned me on' in that way!)

Quote Originally Posted by Reid Masson
    Man, you have obviously not played a National Capital Golf Tour event. We are the worst collection of competitive golfers you could possibly imagine....
    Nope, haven't had the pleasure yet but hopefully, since I am taking some time off from being a member at my local club, I will experience the NCG Tour this summer, if it ever gets here!

I meant it doesn't have to be official because there was the Ottawa Golf Tour but Dan gave up those responsibilities because it took up so much of his time. Even though probably a one time (or maybe yearly) event I'm sure a lot of planning has to be done and maybe he doesn't have the time. I'd offer my help but who knows. We'll have to wait and see.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

[quote=Geoff Johnston]Even though probably a one time (or maybe yearly) event I'm sure a lot of planning has to be done and maybe he doesn't have the time. /quote]

Doesn't have time??? Thats probably because he spends all his time in here moving/deleting threads and generally babysitting the zoo inhabitants! We gotta get him out to see the light of day!

Hell, any luck and Bucky and Tho Tho would be there for us all to meet!

Now that would be something Indio...but I thought they were on in the same!

Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar
    I was waiting for someone else to make that comment. I can see where this thread is now going lol

Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    I was waiting for someone else to make that comment. I can see where this thread is now going lol
    The minute I posted it, I knew where it would lead..... but hey, they say living dangerously is good for ya!

Now that would be something Indio...but I thought they were on in the same!
    Now I know why the Forum Rules shows up under 'Similar Threads' after this one! LOL

But seriously Indio, I have thought about your idea before. I think something that would be fun would be to have two or four man teams and play some sort of scramble. That way it eliminates the need for caps. We could announce a official starting sign up date and then watch as forum members scramble to scoop up teammates. Like I said, we could discuss further when we get closer to opening of the season. Sounds like fun.

Founder Kilroy is on a distinguished road Kilroy's Avatar
    I used to have an annual event - The OttawaGolf Open which went pretty well for a few years.

I decided to make it a charity event and raise some money for CHEO. This was a mixed result, prizes were easier to acquire, but when we increased the price of the event to include $20 per player for the charity, it pushed the price with cart and dinner to $100 and that killed attendance.

As mentioned I also co-founded and ran the OGTour (now NCGTour) with Steve. I will certainly be playing some events there, but after 5 years of running events I think I will stay out of organizing them for a while.

Anyway if you fellas want to use the forum to set up an event that's great. I'll probably play in it, and offer a prize or two, but please don't use the name of the site when marketing it. Thanks.

Thanks for chiming in Dan. Those were my thoughts exactly, use the forum to organize but not to promote. Appreciate the offers Dan. Its still months away but we'll see what develops.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Hell, any luck and Bucky and Tho Tho would be there for us all to meet!
    Doesnt Bucky live in France?

But seriously Indio, I have thought about your idea before. I think something that would be fun would be to have two or four man teams and play some sort of scramble. That way it eliminates the need for caps. We could announce a official starting sign up date and then watch as forum members scramble to scoop up teammates. Like I said, we could discuss further when we get closer to opening of the season. Sounds like fun.

Oh sure, take credit for my idea!

OK, my team is Little Brit, 4Iron and Schtikette (sp?) Oh wait, maybe I should ask them first? LOL

I think it would be a hoot.... nothing competitive..... just a fun day, evening and night out!

You get full props for brining it to forum though! As for my team, I'll take BCMIST, davevandyk and big easy! Wait that's not right, I'd be holding them back. Maybe I'll just manage the team.

Quote Originally Posted by Dan Kilbank
    Anyway if you fellas want to use the forum to set up an event that's great. I'll probably play in it, and offer a prize or two, but please don't use the name of the site when marketing it. Thanks.

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

OG tournament

If it got organised in a timely manner, I know that Hylands golf course hosts tournament on mondays and fridays. I don't know which dates are available, but if this was to get off the ground and running, I could find out for you and that way it gives people from Ottawa and the surrounding areas a chance to play this private club.
    Mind you we would need a definate set date and as close as possible the number of golfers willing to play in it. I know that I would definately play in something like that before I move to Montreal in July.
    Let me know
    Claude

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    I meant it doesn't have to be official because there was the Ottawa Golf Tour but Dan gave up those responsibilities because it took up so much of his time. Even though probably a one time (or maybe yearly) event I'm sure a lot of planning has to be done and maybe he doesn't have the time. I'd offer my help but who knows. We'll have to wait and see.
    Actually, the sort of event that Indio seems to have in mind did exist for many years. It was called the Ottawa Golf Open, and it was held at Manderley every year in August.

It was simultaneously a Tour event (with points, cleaners etc. for those members) and a charity event that was open to all. It included dinner, prizes, etc. and net proceeds were donated to CHEO. I'm sure it was still a lot of work, but now that the OG Tour responsibilities has been spun off to the NCGT, perhaps a similar event could be revived under the Ottawa Golf banner.

Hey Dan, I'd be glad to help out if you're interested.

PS I see that Dan has already responded. Man, I'm gonna have to upgrade my typing skills!
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Alright, I'll volunteer to organize only if another member or two step up. Appreciate the offer Claude. We'll see what we can come up with and let you know. Does anyone else want to step up and be on the "unofficial" event commitee? Indio, you started this, are you in?

You get full props for brining it to forum though! As for my team, I'll take BCMIST, davevandyk and big easy! Wait that's not right, I'd be holding them back. Maybe I'll just manage the team.
    You think I wouldn't be playing last in my 4some??? Bout oh wahat a view from.... ooops, is that a sexist remark (REALLY honey, I am just kidding, I don't even know, nor have I ever met these ladies!)

Hmm, sorry guys, I've just been directed to the little white house in our back yard that says 'Fido'.....

. Does anyone else want to step up and be on the "unofficial" event commitee? Indio, you started this, are you in?

Snuffin fuffles fric n frac........... I'm in

Competitor challengegolf is on a distinguished road challengegolf's Avatar

tourny

I'll help out Geoff as I usually organise one or two tournament a year for my dad and his friends to play at Hylands.
    Count me in.
    Claude

Alright, so we have a commitee, myself, Indio and challengegolf (or better known as Claude). I guess over the next few months us three (or if others are interested) can start laying some ground work for this. As a start guys, perhaps we could start a poll in the Arrange a Game forum and ask which course the members would like to play if this was to happen. What do you think? As well guys, pm me with your emails so we can stay in touch.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    Well it's been a busy day for me so I didnt have time to look in here, but glad I did now.

Indio ............. The idea is a good one.
    I should know. I pushed for it with Dan and we made it happen for the few years it was held. Everyone who attended had fun and a great day. I remember the first one in 2001 at Meadows in the snow/rain/hail/sleet/wind/cold/overcast and sun. It was a blast.

But, there is an awful lot of work to be done and then to have very little response 2 years ago was frustrating to say the least.

If people would still like to this happen, I will certainly help in any way I can
    (although I only count 5 people so far )

As Dan said check out our website http://www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com
    for details about our tour with our bi-weekly events.
    ALL levels of golfers are welcome.

Dont forget we also have winter events at Golf-O-Max.
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBack
    (although I only count 5 people so far )
    Make that 6. I'd be interested in playing.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Claude,
    Check the details with the Hylands but I am pretty sure they have a min number and you have to have the dinner there at their club house. I'd be in for playing as long as you guys do all the work of organizing! Early in the season would be great and a higher end course would be nice as well (i.e EC, Stonebridge, Le Sourcier....) What format are you guys think of 4 ball best ball, individual, 2 man teams? We had an intersection league in Kingston that use to be fun, 4 man team, best ball but you play in a group of 2's. So 2 guys from one team would take on 2 guys from another team. I found the 2 man team concept to be a bit faster, more honest, more competitive and of course more fun. But hey, you guys figure it out and let us know!

Thread Information