100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Champion sharkhark is on a distinguished road sharkhark's Avatar

How Much $$$ Is Quality Worth

I read an interview recently in which scotty cameron admitted his price points are high. Said that his 'quality' had better be good because if a $5 club from a barrel does the job, he knows which one the customer will buy.

Looking at ebay listings, saw a putter of his called 'my girl'. From what I can gather it is some sort of limited edition.
    ...but get this...at $C $830.23...it did not meet the reserve???

Just how much is supposed quality worth? This much just for a putter?
    Thought I would ask what people think as I notice some golf items carry a really hefty price tag, I personally would never pay these prices, but some might?

$800?

$5

Cheers, Shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    Is it my understanding that it was going for $830. I would never spend that much on one club, not too say it isn't worth it. Although this is coming from a guy with not so deep pockets
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by RLaw
    Is it my understanding that it was going for $830.
    Believe it or not, it was going for more. That was the last bid, and according to their cdn listing it said 'reserve price not met' (see listing below).
    http://cgi.ebay.ca/Brand-New-Limited...QQcmdZViewItem

I just can't believe prices like that. I do think that alot of people will not spend alot on a putter, when in actuality you could benefit due to the amt of times used per round, but when its that much?

Also curious on other equip? I mean if a driver really could guarantee extra 20 yards, would you pay $500? $750? more?
    Cheers, Shark
    "Chicks dig me, because I rarely wear underwear and when I do it's usually something unusual"

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    ebay is quite a rip off for some items. I have seem the Scotty My Girl being sold on other non-auction sites for $625 USD, which includes shipping within US! Sometimes you can get great prices, sometimes you get outrageous prices

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    I think there's a market for everything. I mean, who needs a 450 Horsepower Porsche Cayenne? My Mazda 3 gets my groceries home and the dog out for a run just as well.

There will always be an ultra high market for those that can afford it. And until then, there will be guys like us who are just jealous.

If you had 800 bucks to blow on a putter, do you think you'd be making the same post? I doubt it.

But I'm with ya. I'd take the 5 dollar putter and learn to use that before I'd spend 800 beans on a Cameron. I almost puked when I paid 150 for my Odyssey!

R35
    "Put me down for a 4..."

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    To each his own I guess. I would never buy the following either but someone might:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mike-Weir-2003-Co...ayphotohosting
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    To each his own I guess. I would never buy the following either but someone might:

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Mike-Weir-2003-Co...ayphotohosting
    I remember seeing that item at Nevada Bob's and asked the sales person if they sold any. He said they sold a few of them...can't remember the price but it was high.

Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    And until then, there will be guys like us who are just jealous.

If you had 800 bucks to blow on a putter, do you think you'd be making the same post? I doubt it.

R35
    Hey! I could blow that much, what u think I can't afford it?!?...I mean..i've been looking to lose weight...eatings overrated Shark

Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar
    Dude, live in your car like me!

R35
    "Put me down for a 4..."

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Good thread.

Yes I'm sure that my girl was a limited edition series, so it has collector's appeal which has nothing to do with performance.

See the honma golf clubs listed on Golf Town's web site? There were a few threads about honma in this forum I recall.

I like how titleist and scotty cameron are marketed. I feel (whether or not its true) that I'm getting a top quality hand made item when I get a cameron putter. If they were $50 they wouldn't have the same cachet as they do now. Are they overpriced? absolutely. They are nice putters, though.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Remember though, it's not Scotty that's selling this item. It's some guy who thinks he can get $1000+ US for a SC putter. He probably bought it for his girlfriend to act like the big spender, and she probably dumped him, so he's trying to get his money back.

Oh yeah...It's a 1 of 750 limited release, and it's the 4th issue! So that means that there's at least 3000 of these around.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    OK so someone pays $500 + for a Scotty putter. On the first green he 3 jacks, same thing on 6 more greens during his round. Shoots +15, but by god he has a SCOTTY in his bag!
    It's brand name recognition, Pro's use Scotty's so I want one too.
    Pro's have big honking staff bags, I want one too.
    Pro's use PRO V's, I have to use them too.

A lot of people get caught up in the big game of golf and spend loads of cash and still can't break 90.

The $500 driver is not going to put you deep down the centre of the fairway if you have no swing. Better off taking some lessons with that cash.

I remember a Club Pro telling me this about 4 years ago "Someone is going to bring a driver out that is priced close to $1000 in the next two years, and people will run out and buy them" Sure enough, TaylorMade brought out the R7TP model at $799 plus taxes and people bought them!

I have a YES Tracy II in my bag, $150 putter and that is good enough for me. For years I carried an old Anser II that I bought for $20. Putted lights out with it, then the super at my home course decided to sloooooooooow down the greens and I wanted a heavier putter.

My driver, I paid $33 for a 983 clone with a Grafaloy shaft in it, and it drives the ball as far as the real thing. $225 for a mint set of Wishon 550C irons (Deal of the summer in 2005)

Like I said, too many people get caught up in the "I have to play what the pro's play with , while they forget the Pro's get it for free. You can only buy so much talent, the rest has to come from within.
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    What good is a $1000 putter if you have a 25 cent putting stroke?

Do people actually believe that the more expensive it is, the better it is?

Anyone want to buy my 1948 copy of Ben Hogan's "Power Golf," signed by Ben Hogan himself? Let's start the bidding at $100,000, or you can "Buy it Now" for only $250,000.

GolfPig of the Year 2006 Golfbum is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    What good is a $1000 putter if you have a 25 cent putting stroke?

Do people actually believe that the more expensive it is, the better it is?

Anyone want to buy my 1948 copy of Ben Hogan's "Power Golf," signed by Ben Hogan himself? Let's start the bidding at $100,000, or you can "Buy it Now" for only $250,000.

Exactly my point BC MIST. Same goes for the $650 driver and a 50 cent swing! What a lot of golfers don't realize is this. When they see a pro bomb that Ping, TaylorMade, Cleveland, Titleist or Nike driver that is not the same club you buy off the rack. Those guys spends hours and hours finding the right shafts for those drivers. Most recreational golfers do not have the time of the money to do that. Plus like the commericials say "THESE GUYS ARE GOOD"

Get your irons fit to your swing, try to buy the proper driver, fairway woods etc. Try using a shorter putter, according to many teaching pros most goflers use putters that are too long for them.

Better yet in most rec golfers cases take the driver out of the bag, use a 3 wood off the tee Put another utility club in the bag. Take the 60 degree Lob wedge out of the bag and learn to use the 56 degree for shots around the green instead of trying to hit the PHIL LOB SHOT, which most people end up skulling across the green anyways.

Funny thing about drivers. I was talking to the guy who owns the local golf store, it has been in business for years. He told me he gets a lot of drivers traded in that guys hit into a net while using a launch monitor. His store has an outdoor range. Nothing beats being able to see the actual flight of the ball outdoors, in actual playing conditions. He has nothing against launch monitors, he just prefers to watch the real ball flight, not one into a simulator.

Your thoughts on that?

As for your Ben Hogan Book, I will pass on that bid
    My opinions are my own, I do not follow others.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    Absolute nonsense as we can special order that putter at Golf Town for less than $600 Can. Availiabilty is tight but it can be done.

Need a Caddy rgk5 is on a distinguished road rgk5's Avatar
    "that I'm getting a top quality hand made item when I get a cameron putter."

You are not as the retail Cameron putter heads are CNC milled from German stainless in China and then assembled in the USA.

Golf Nut nice_lag is on a distinguished road
    Heck, I wouldn't spend that kind of money... and if I were to, I'd make sure that it's custom fit.
    nice_lag
    Almonte

Thread Information