100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Sir Post-a-lot dH is on a distinguished road dH's Avatar

Winter Conditioning Program Sugggestions

Hi everyone,

The sad reality of no golf for a while unless you jump on a plane has finally hit me. That doesn't mean the winter has to be a waste however...

I'm looking into conditioning routines. Not one where I pay 800$ get a swing analysis and handed some weights; something I can do at home / gym that I currently use for free. The "exercsises" are the same regardless of where you perform them so hopefully this thread can be a method for exchanging advice and tips for which muscles to strengthen; why and how to go about doing it.

I know abdominal muscles are important; I'm also guessing quads ...

Does anyone know anything about this to get the conversation going; I'm hopelessly lacking information so do not dare make suggestions but I'm all ears for yours.

Regards,

Hall of Fame Ginker is on a distinguished road Ginker's Avatar
    Anything that increases flexability.. strechting is key.. I have some good stuff at home from when I took the golf managment program if you really want I could probably dig it up...
    Proud Member BigJohnnys Ryder Cup Team '08
    All your base, are belong to us.

Andru
    Golf Specific workouts are interesting.

Here are the basics

Flexibility: grab yourself a Yoga DVD and do it everyday. you won't believe the difference it will make. Here's a test can you place your hands flat on the ground in front of you with your legs straight?

Strength. There may be more golf related training systems available this is for overall fitness and strength. www.bodyforlife.com You'll find everything you need here.

Good Luck

Hi Scotty,

Lemme know if you can; not looking to get bulky just want to maximize my golf game and obviously prolong my life as another benficial by product of taking better care of my golf game lol.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    There is a program on the GC (GC Acamdemy I think) that outlines many exercises and stretches that can help improve your game. Sorry I can't provide anymore information regarding this as most of my time since the end of golf season (outside) has been devoted to drinking beer and with the white stuff falling now it's even harder to think about golf.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Ah I guess you have to go there... The ultimate fitting sounds nice.. get fit personally by Bob Voeky and Scotty Cameron...

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    I think Andru is onto something with the yoga. I'm going to try that this winter. My wife has been doing it for years, and shes very fit, while I have just deteriorated year after year. Time for change!

I've been wanting to try it for years as I'm a generally high strung type A personality and I'd like to see my 65th birthday!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Hi Scotty,

Lemme know if you can; not looking to get bulky just want to maximize my golf game and obviously prolong my life as another benficial by product of taking better care of my golf game lol.
    Dhacka

Sorry to interrupt here. Lifting weights doesn't mean bulk. Weight lifting incorporated into stretching and cardio will increase your overall fitness level by reducing body fat and increasing bone density.

I won't get into a speech just trying to clear up the misconceptions of weight training.

Good Luck in whatever you do.

Cheers

Sir Post-a-lot bobblehead is on a distinguished road bobblehead's Avatar
    Get one of those exercise balls(anti-burst)...there are hundreds of different exercises you can do on the ball...anywhere from strengthening the legs to the core of the body. Its cheap and you can do it at home. It can also help you with your balance which is a good thing in the golf swing.

Amateur Golfpeasant is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Dhacka

Sorry to interrupt here. Lifting weights doesn't mean bulk. Weight lifting incorporated into stretching and cardio will increase your overall fitness level by reducing body fat and increasing bone density.

I won't get into a speech just trying to clear up the misconceptions of weight training.

Good Luck in whatever you do.

Cheers
    Yes, I started a basic weight routine that was more about muscle tone and support and its helped immensely, in every aspect of life, including golf: less stress, more energy, better muscle support, fewer injuries. I used to suffer from minor back aches, some neck issues, and stress, and its helped it all...

Singles Match Play Champ 2009 Team Match Play Champ 2013, 2014 leftylucas is on a distinguished road leftylucas's Avatar

Golf specific program

I received this for Christmas and it is excellent. As many of the posts above there is a fair amount of stretching those old muscles and strength training. You need a medicine ball, minibands (pilates), speed stick (or broom stick) but it is excellent. Check out the website

www.coreperformance.com
    Lefty Lucas
    I am abidextrous, I once golfed right-handed and now I shoot left-handed just as badly!

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    exercise balls are great - crunches on those things are by far the best exercise for the abs that I have encountered. Have to admit I haven't experimented with a great deal of exercises on it, but there are tonnes out there. I personally find that using the exercise ball requires very few repetitions to be effective, because the balance factor adds a lot to the overall intensity of the workout.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    I'm definitely concentrating on cardio and trunk strength to help shore up my back.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Uber Poster little brit is on a distinguished road little brit's Avatar
    I think for core training, Pilates is really good, it reallly focuses on the stomache. Makes long lean muscles.

Forum Idiot Indio is on a distinguished road Indio's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by dHacka
    Hi everyone,

I know abdominal muscles are important; I'm also guessing quads ...

Regards,

Hmmm, don't know if the abdominal thingy is all what it is made out to be.... I used to hit the ball around 250 or so when I was grosely over weight (292 lbs). A few years back I decided to get into shape so I lost 125 pounds and went to the gym to strenghtern all the lose flabby muscles..... grr, I can't hit a drive 225 anymore..... unless it is down hill with a 90 KM wind behind me!
    Last edited by Indio; 01-09-2006 at 05:08 PM.
    Proud member of the 2009 OG/TGN Ryder Cup Champions

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Hmmm, don't know if the abdominal thingy is all what it is made out to be.... I used to hit the ball around 250 or so when I was grosely over weight (292 lbs). A few years back I decided to get into shape so I lost 125 punds and went to the gym to strenghtern all the lose flabby muscles..... grr, I can't hit a drive 225 anymore..... unless it is down hill with a 90 KM wind behind me!
    That's because your swing changed when your body changed. You can't expect your swing to be the same when your body mass, centre of gravity, etc., changed so much. You can't expect to generate the same force with an "armsy" heavyweight swing as a middleweight. Now your trunk muscles are more important than ever for generating rotational force/resistance to help generate clubhead speed.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    That's because your swing changed when your body changed. You can't expect your swing to be the same when your body mass, centre of gravity, etc., changed so much. You can't expect to generate the same force with an "armsy" heavyweight swing as a middleweight. Now your trunk muscles are more important than ever for generating rotational force/resistance to help generate clubhead speed.

Really??? Well I guess its back to the beer, burgers and dogs for this guy!

Quote Originally Posted by Indio
    Really??? Well I guess its back to the beer, burgers and dogs for this guy!
    Trust me man, you don't want to go back there...

Quote Originally Posted by LobWedge
    Trust me man, you don't want to go back there...
    Well I want to and would like to, but I won't

Gap Wedge golfCOACH is on a distinguished road
    A great book to focus on strength training is by Paul Chek. www.chekinstitute.com The golf biomechanics intensive is incredible. Since its winter now, try to get stronger. I'm seeing canadian elite players on a program where first they get strong, then they get powerful... then stability using free weights and yoga balls, then flexibility. By April, they're strong, flexible, and explosive. For anyone who continues to stay on a fitness program, try plyometrics. During the season, no weights, all pilates.

Par moochie is on a distinguished road moochie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by leftylucas
    I received this for Christmas and it is excellent. As many of the posts above there is a fair amount of stretching those old muscles and strength training. You need a medicine ball, minibands (pilates), speed stick (or broom stick) but it is excellent. Check out the website

www.coreperformance.com
    I have been doing core performance for over a year now. Did the book twice and have since joined the website and have been doing the Golf specific course. Having been a weighlifter proponent for years, it has been refreshing to say the least. It incorporates strenght, cardio, elesticity, plyometrics, etc. Any activity is better than none. Find something you like as you are more likely to stick to it.

Thread Information