100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Putter Prof. Jim Hlade is on a distinguished road

Shaft frequency device

Any of you decide the best way to build a very inexpensive shaft frequency measuring device? My guess is $20.00 should do it.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar
    Welcome to the forum!

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Jim Hlade
    Any of you decide the best way to build a very inexpensive shaft frequency measuring device? My guess is $20.00 should do it.
    I already have a FM. However really curious. Is it something you are selling? Plans and/or parts? Dave Tutelman shows how to build one but I sure as heck could not build his model. I also heard people using a computer to accomplish the same purpose? Tell us more and welcome to the forum Professor
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    Why are you obsessed by frequency matching? I don't care and my game is the same that if i would.

I knew I had seen seen the computer thing somewhere.
    http://www.clubmaker-online.com/frequency.meter.html
    Mahatma Gandhi

Quote Originally Posted by buckylasek
    Why are you obsessed by frequency matching? I don't care and my game is the same that if i would.

Why don't you just ignore the post if you are not into it?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Maybe to make you change your mind about it. When i take the car, i don't measure the rpm's exactly etc...

If anything I will make you change your mind about it at a later time. In a race would you rather drive a Lada or a Ferrari. Do you drink cheap wine?
    Mahatma Gandhi

I drink cheap wine sometimes, and sometimes they are better than the expensive ones. In a race i would rather drive the car that best works for me, ( what do you have against lada's? ) Ok i accept your offer to tell me why FM is so important.

Must be Single Sakuraba is on a distinguished road Sakuraba's Avatar

15.22 per day

Quote Originally Posted by Chieflongtee
    Why don't you just ignore the post if you are not into it?
    Uh, you can't keep your post count up by just sitting back.

I think frequency matching is intriguing. I thought this original post was in the wrong forum. I thought "shaft frequency device" belonged in the clubmakers dept.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba

Muy perspicaz!!!

Well, i also think you should put this post in the clubmakers section, but i have to say welcome to Prof.

Quote Originally Posted by Sakuraba
    Is there a prize?:checkered
    Mahatma Gandhi

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    The stiffness (frequency) of a shaft is a factor in how accurately** you are going to hit the ball with your current swing characteristics. If the shaft is too stiff or too flexible for your swing, the clubface will return to the ball at impact/separation, either open or closed which will result in a crooked shot of some kind. Regardless of how far you might hit the ball or how high is your swing speed, if you cannot put the ball where you need to put it, you will score far worse that you should. Golf is still a game of ACCURACY.

So, when you or a club fitter finds a shaft that allows you to hit the ball STRAIGHT, or at least STRAIGHTER, then does it not make sense to use that shaft in all of your clubs? That shaft that works for you can have its frequency measured, and then all of the others are MATCHED. Frequency matching allows you to be more consistent with your ball striking and will force you to eliminate your clubs as an excuse for your bad play.

Sadly, most of the sets of clubs that you might buy in a pro shop or a retailer are NOT matched. Depending on your level of play, you may not notice this mismatch but as you become more proficient, and if there is a club or clubs that are out of whack, it will become apparent. "I just can't seem to hit that 8 iron," or " I sure wish I could hit all my irons the way I hit my 5 iron," or comments like these, indicate that the shaft frequency of a club(s) may not suitable for you.

Frequency matching is NOT an obsession. (Golf is). It is just a way of increasing the quality of your golf clubs. Would you put tires from 4 different manufacturers on your car, or 4 MATCHING tires from the same manufacturer on it?

** Many golfers still believe that the frequency of a shaft is a factor in how far they are going to hit the ball. It is not. A more flexible shaft will not significantly, if at all, hit the ball any farther than a stiffer shaft. Match the shafts to increase your accuracy.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

You should care! Those "stiff" shafts you play with, how do you know they are stiff?Just because of the label? What is stiff? Why did you buy Project X shafts, just to be cool? One of the big advantages of these shafts is the FM and trajectory through out the set. It would suck to hit a 7 iron with a stiff, a 5 iron with ladies and a 3 iron with a reg even though all the shafts say stiff. This happens with some OEM sets. If you don't care about fequency analysis and tools then the polite thing to do would be to ignore the post not put some sort of comment in every thread that is posted when half the time they have no relevance . I think I asked you this before, but I swear you are Thotho's cousin or some kind of relation!

Quote Originally Posted by Prof. Jim Hlade
    If you have any plans or have done so before, please share! I would like to know how to build a cheap one myself just to play around with. Man, winter is sooooooooo long!

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    If you don't care about fequency analysis and tools then the polite thing to do would be to ignore the post not put some sort of comment in every thread that is posted when half the time they have no relevance . I think I asked you this before, but I swear you are Thotho's cousin or some kind of relation!
    Ok very cool, but you know, need some people against major opinion to make a world. If not all the safts are FM, it's because some people are like me. So before trying to designate me as a "persona non grata", try to think how this makes me feel about you.

Pitching Wedge clubfixer is on a distinguished road clubfixer's Avatar
    Because I am for World Peace, I'll jump in here.

Frequency matching, Spining, Flo'ing, Loft & Lie adjustments and the remaining 20 or so golf club specifications are what we clubmakers try to get exactly for the player to make better his bad shots. I think only the good golfer is in control of his good shots.

Personally, I'm anal about it. Not one club, new or re-shaft, leaves my humble little shop without being FM'ed, spine'ed & Flo'ed. If I didn't do this service I would feel like I was doing a mis service.

My 2 cents, USC.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][COLOR=blue]Play it as it lies...[/COLOR][/FONT]

Only 2 cents to get FL spined and Flo'ed ( wtf is that?)

In my post above I attempted to inform you, in a small way, about the benefits of frequency matching clubs, as did clubfixer about spining, as both processes help golfers obtain clubs that should perform more consistently for them. Judging by the tone of your replies, you are obviously not interested in trying to understand any of this and I apologize for assuming that you did.

One of the neat things about this, and I guess, all golf forums, is that the vast majority of posters are willing to share their time, ideas, opinions and experetise, the sum total of which can possibly help to improve both our knowledge of the game and our golf skills, to make friends and to increase the fun that we get from playing.

You didn't understand me that's all, i was just asking what flo'ed means. But don't matter, i'm used to have people prejudiced against me because i'm not in the side than them.

FLO (Flat Line Oscillation) is an extra tweaking step I take after finding the NBP of the shaft. It is kind of like the icing on the cake when it comes down to it.

Additionally, your not far from the average customer I see. Most of them simply can't bring themselves to purchase custom fit clubs for the longest time, and when they do, its like "why did I wait so long".

Not all clubs are equal! That is why our language has words like; great, greater, and greatest.

Hope this analogy helps a little...

Here is a good definition for you that I found on Golfworks Forum:

From: JYachinich Dec-30 4:20 pm To: PConway9 unread (3 of 3) 760.3 in reply to 760.1 I'll add a little bit to what Dan said. I always define frequency matching as the process of testing shafts for stiffness to eliminate tolerances in shaft stiffnesses within a set of shafts. I always say that Spine testing and Puring identify tolerances in the circumference of the shaft. If I were sorting a set of shafts for frequency I will first want to have them spine tested or pured before frequency sorting them. If they are frequency tested with the spine or pured mark in consistent test positions they will generally test as being more consistent.

You didn't understand me that's all, i was just asking what flo'ed means. But don't matter, i'm used to have people prejudiced against me because i'm not in the side than them.
    I would certainly not pre-judge someone just because they had a different point of view. I would suggest though that before you formulate a point of view, make an effort to acknowledge and consider the information presented to you about the topic(frequency matching). The more informed you become, the easier it is to decide where you stand.

What is unfortunate here is that you have a "My mind is made up; don't confuse me with the facts," attitude. It is your attitude that creates the friction, not any position that you take.
    Last edited by BC MIST; 12-31-2005 at 08:02 PM.

Click on the link for floing:

http://www.horsepowergolf.com/VideoSpineFrequency.asp
    Mahatma Gandhi

Bucky. Next time you are in a store pick up 5 or 6 five irons from different manufacturers with the same kind of shafts i.e Dynamic Gold stiff. Next lean them across a baseboard and see if the first step on the golf shaft line up. Chances are they won't. What does that tell you?
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road

Project X shafts

Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    You should care! Those "stiff" shafts you play with, how do you know they are stiff?Just because of the label? What is stiff? Why did you buy Project X shafts, just to be cool? One of the big advantages of these shafts is the FM and trajectory through out the set. It would suck to hit a 7 iron with a stiff, a 5 iron with ladies and a 3 iron with a reg even though all the shafts say stiff. This happens with some OEM sets. If you don't care about fequency analysis and tools then the polite thing to do would be to ignore the post not put some sort of comment in every thread that is posted when half the time they have no relevance . I think I asked you this before, but I swear you are Thotho's cousin or some kind of relation!
    FYI, Project X's are NOT FREQUENCY MATCHED. The only Precision shafts that are ; RIFLE & RIFLE LIGHT. The number that goes with the Project X shaft or the Flighted is a flex designation only

I find that hard to believe that they wouldn't FM their top of the line shaft, but I am not an expert by any means so you maybe right. I have fired off an email to Roayal Precision so we will see what they say.

Checked out the website and it does not say anywhere that the ProjectX are FREQUENCY MATCHED.
    http://www.royalprecision.com/precis..._projectx.html

It does say say so in the Rifle description.
    http://www.royalprecision.com/precis...eel_rifle.html

As far as top of the line the TT Dynamic Golds are not FM matched either.
    Mahatma Gandhi

I wouldn't put TT Dynamic golds in the same category as the Porject X's! Maybe the Tour Concepts would be a better comparison, but either way for a company that has made such a big deal about FM their shafts I still find it hard to believe that they wouldn't do it on the project X's. Like I said, I have sent an email to them directly and should have a confirmed answer this week..........

Marketing hype Denny. Weight sort a set of shafts and you'll be pretty bang on on frequency. Of course using a meter or a NF2-4 is a superior method but weight sorting is a great start if you don't own any of these toys. Old clubmakers used to roll shafts on a flat surface and pick the straighter ones(because of residual bend) and weight sort them. Then came along the deflection board(which is a one method of profiling shafts then came all the toys. You would not catch me dead buying any of these expensive shafts. And no one shaft does not make you hit it farther no matter what you are led to believe. It's the indian not the arrow. See my avatar
    Mahatma Gandhi

Thread Information