CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: With or without the "Pros" ???

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Are you nuts? This is great! Keep it as is!

4 57.14%
  • Bring back the good old days...

3 42.86%
+ Reply to Thread
    7 Iron viper is on a distinguished road viper's Avatar

Pros vs Olympics

I am the only one who has mixed feeling about sending pros to the Olympics?

I know the Olympics is all about the $ now (as with all pro sports)... However, why is it OK to send pros for hockey, basketball and baseball (?) but not for the other sports/athletes... For instance, "pro" figure skaters are not welcome...

If I were one of the amateurs who has to battle to find sponsors, pay my own for training/competing/travel, etc. - I would be "frustated" by the fact that pros are more than welcome - if not even getting preferential treatment from the fans/media and the event itself...

As fun as this event is, as much attention it brings to the sport and the Olympic movement - does it deminish the event itself?

Does anyone else remember Joé Juneau? He was drafted by Boston (81st overall) in 1988. If my memory serves me right - it was only after a superb '91-'92 season [20g/69pts in 69 games with the Canadian National Team and his 6g/15pts in 8 games in the Olympics] that he was offered a NHL contract. He then joined the team and recorded 19pts in 14 games and then had 12pts in 15 playoffs games. The next year, over 100pts...

I guess I simply find it unfortunate that the Olympic movement is in a situation where they beleive that they must bring in the pros in order to attract more viewers. I saddens me even more that some nations (non-Canadian I'm sure) may not watch (lets say) the hockey tournament without the pros.

Am I the only one who enjoy the game regardless? Just like with the World Juniors, it's always fun to see a non-NHLer who performs so well that NHL clubs wonder why they didn't draft/sign them before...
    Last edited by viper; 01-06-2006 at 09:50 AM.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I agree that all hockey on that level is very exciting to watch however it is about the best players in the world now and what a treat. I cannot wait for it. Best international competition to watch bar NONE.
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    The Olympic Hockey Tournament is amazing to watch and I can't deny that I get very much drawn into it but in general I am not at all a fan of the Olympics and the IOC.

I respect and admire many of the athletes (at least until the drug tests come in) but man, it is hard to enjoy the Olympics with scandal after scandal and the more you know about the backroom deals and the unsavory history the less you enjoy the spectacle to be sure. I don't watch the summer games at all.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    The olympics is about showcasing the best athletes in the world. This simply cannot be done without professionals. I think it's good for competition. Look at men's basketball. When the dream team was introduced, everyone thought that it was terrible for basketball, that the US would always dominate. They did dominate those first two or three Olympics, but the Dream Team did not even make the finals in Athens. Who can't say that they LOVED seeing the States miss out on the gold medal game. There are now a number of countries who can field competitive squads, some with professionals, and some not. Allowing the professionals to play has helped the game immensely.

Of course amateurs who don't get the attention that the pros do will be frustrated. But its not as if we focus on the professionals because they're professionals. We focus on them because they are the best at what they do. Beckie Scott put on an amazing performance in Salt Lake, and she has been getting the attention (yes, i know the attention originally went to the two skiiers booted out for doping). Obviously she doesn't get the exposure that individuals from the more popular sports do, but for a cross country skier, she gets a lot of airtime on tsn. Why? Because she's the best in the world. I don't think amateurs deserve any special attention, nor do pros. I really couldn't care less if you're the best amateur if you can't beat any pros. All that tells me is that you're reallly not that good at what you do - not worth kicking up a fuss over.

Birdie g8r is on a distinguished road
    Without the pros, the olympics just becomes World Juniors round 2, minus a few talented young players already in the NHL. Just doesnt make sense to put watch the best athletes at a particular sport, as long as they don't do this for a living...this should go for all sports...

Or we can get rid of the pros and send Wayne and his committee out to the beer leagues to draft a team...maybe I'll have a shot at that olympic dream afterall!

Thread Information