100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar

Olympic Team...???

So the names are out what does everyone think?

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/feature/?fid=8747&hubname=

Me, I think that not having 2 of the top scorers in the league on the team is a joke!!! Spezza and Staal shold be there. I would have taken pezza just because him and Heatley have so much chemistry, never mind that he is one of the best players in the league. Why do you think the Tampa line is there? Not because of performance. I have a lot of respect for Gretzky, but there is no surprise that Pat Quinn is apart of this team with aging roster! Doan? Smyth? Nash? St Loius? Richards? Bertuzzi? These ar all guys who in my opinion could be switched. Nash just got back from injury and if he was here all year he would probably be up there in points, the kid is awsome so keep him. Doan, what a waste od space that guys is. If that isn't the I want a guy from my team pick then I don't know what is! Smyth, keep him for the world cup when nobody else good can play. This guy is soooooooo over rated it's not even funny. St Louis, guy has one good year and now he is NHL elite? Give me a break. Richards, lots of talent but doing nothing this year. Bertuzzi, mixed feelings on this one. We need size, grit and someone no scared to go into corners. How else would Draper make it too. Bertuzzi is no doubt the best power forward and is starting to play well again, but Shanny is playing great hockey and is no slouch either! I do think letting Crosby wait and mature is the right call. There are to many other guys who have earned a spot, but no Spezza and Staal is just stupid! The D and goaltending looks pretty good. McCabe has the resume to make the team but I think is speed and the big ice factored in there. He is just to slow, but Pronger and foote aren't exactly speed demons and they are having horrible years. Pheneuf would have made a nice surprise and I think would have brought a lot of energy and grit on the blueline. That kid can hit and he is fast as hell! Goaltending is a wrap. Marty is number 1 until he says so, Turco is playing great but we could have seen Fenandez there instead of Turco or Loungo and even, I hate to say it, Joseph is playimg great hockey. It doesn't really matter though unless Marty gets hurt because he will be in for all the big games.

Thats my 2 cents!

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    No Spezza? Come on! I would have taken Spezza over Doan, but hey, I'm not running the show The rest of the picks seem decent. Go Canada!
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    There were definitely some picks I would have changed, but it's gotta be tough for them to pick that team. There's such an embarassment of riches. No matter who they picked, there would be disappointment in some corners. There are just so many people they could have justified taking.

I, personally, would have been upset if the had NOT taken Ryan Smyth. He IS captain Canada. He's always there, and he's always consistent, no matter how mediocre his NHL season is. Would have liked to see Phaneuf or Doyle as the reserve defensemen over McCabe - the guy can't actually play DEFENCE. I don't like the St. Louis pick either. Hasn't proven himself, and isn't performing this year. I know that they're going for chemistry, as the team won't get to play together, but I also think they could have made a better pick with all the raw talent out there. Not sure about the Bertuzzi pick - he's not performing this year, and Shanny is tearing it up. That said, it's only december. I like having Draper on there - you need some role players out there - Doan too. The Nash pick is a really smart pick. The Nash-Thornton-Gagne line tore it up at the world's last year. If Nash isn't healthy Spezza and Staal are right there to take his place. No matter who is playing, it's going to be a blast to watch. I can't wait.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    I too was suprised to see that Spezza wasn't going to be there and suprised yet a little elated that Crosby wasn't picked. Give them both four more years and then we shall see them in Canada playing for Canada. Go CANADA Go
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    I agree almost 100 percent Denny. St. Louis, Richards, and Smyth I would have substituted for Spezza, Staal, and Shanahan. Could you imagine a Heatly-Spezza-Staal line? Try to shut that bad boy down. I understand and appreciate the requirement for experience, but there's more than enough on that team and pure scoring power will never hurt. Now, would I put that line on in the final minute with a one goal lead? Hell no, but I would rather have that line for the duration of the tournament than the Tampa Bay line... And Shanny not on the team is criminal. The guy is scoring, (20 goals already) and he brings so much experience and character to the team. Who do you think the boys want in the dressing room when/if they're going into the third period of the gold medal game down a goal? Sakic for sure, but just as much so Shanny. The guy oozes Canadian Hockey.

The defensive core look good except I would have thrown Phaneuf in there in place of probably Foote. I just think he would have brought alot of speed, energy and intensity, not to mention that howitzer from the blue line. Again, I think they may have overdone it a bit with the age/experience factor here.

All that being said, I still think this is a gold medal team. Heck, you could easily take who was left off the team and contend for silver.

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Spezza I could see being on the taxi squad just because his defence is a little questionable at times. But how can you not take the NHL leading goal scorer, regardless of age. Have watched Staal play in the games against Ottawa this year, and from highlights on tv the kid can dominate a game. Even though lacking experience he should have been there and put either St. Louis, Smyth, Draper or Doan on the taxi squad.

Personally I think Doan was a make up pick for Joseph not being there. And I'm sure that World Cup winning goal was talked about enough to get him on the team. Loyalty is great sport, but show your appreciation at contract time, not when your country is going for the most prestigious championship in its sport. I for one have concerns how this team will perform in Turin. Not sold they will be a dominating team, definatley one of the favourites. GO CANADA GO!
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    As much as I like Shanny, and as well as he's playing, you have to keep on mind the fact that they're playing on international ice. I think the main knock against him is his lack of speed. Set him up in the offensive zone and he's deadly, but I don't think he could keep up on the international ice.

As for Phaneug, he will be a great D-man, but at this point, I don't think he's playing better than any of those chosen. They are all solid two-way defenceman. Foote is a dominating physical presence. With a little more experience, Phaneuf will be one of our top defenceman, but I think it was a good move to leave him off this year.

I do think we are still the favourites, but I also think this team looks a little like Nagano - a veteran laden team that should dominate, but has left off the top young performers. If it doesn't dominate, I think there will be a lot of people asking questions.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Have to say I'm not surprised Spezza only made the team as an alternate. He only plays centre and the team is loaded at that position. He's a good player but he still makes a lot of dumb "rookie" passes that you won't be able to get away with on the big ice with the all-star teams from Europe. Personally I think Staal should be on the team and he would be my first choice if a forward is injured.

I'm very disappointed that they did not pick Chris Phillips at all. He is a tough, physical defenceman that has really improved in the last couple of years and is very underrated. Adam Foote is not playing well and his days are almost done. The McCabe pick as an alternate is a joke - a sop to Pat Quinn and the legion of Leaf fans in Canada. The guy has a good shot - and that's about it. In his own end he's terrible.

Oh well, looks like the Sens will be well represented. We'll have 5 out of our 7 defencemen there, plus our #1 goaltender and our first line. Havlat would be there if he was healthy. Kinda surprised the Americans didn't pick Smolinski, who's playing well this year.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    As much as I like Shanny, and as well as he's playing, you have to keep on mind the fact that they're playing on international ice.
    It hurts me to have to say this, but I don't see room for Smyth on this team. IMO, Shanahan brings everything to the table that Smyth brings, plus more offense. Smyth isn't exactly know for his speed either. I do agree with your thoughts on Draper. I know many people are questioning this pick. Draper is a classic utility player. Sure he only has one goal this year, but scoring is what the other 12 forwards are there to do. Draper has so many unique qualities that you just can't get from other guys. He can drive the opposition's star player(s) absolutely nuts. Even if the only ice time he sees is on the penalty kill, he's worth his weight in gold IMO.

7 Iron viper is on a distinguished road viper's Avatar
    I'm sorry but I will not question/bash the actual 23 + 3 selection. I'm perfectly happy with Spezza and Staal on the "taxi". Why? Because we're sending a complete playing team... This isn't "all star" squad...

Sure, Spezza has more points than Doan and/or Draper, but who do you want playing on your 4th line, drop to block a shot, etc... Spazza/Staal would not have been a great addition on a 4th line- they need to play on the top 2 lines. With this in mind, who from the top 2 lines do you drop in favor of the "kids"...

As Gretzky and co are surely saying, if it ain't broke, don't fix it... This is why we have the same combination of style/experience of players as in 2002...

Go on boys, bring the Gold back!

Don't you just love living in a country where such as thing is "bigger" than the f*ing Federal Election !?!

Thread Information