CorporateGolfXtra 2024

View Poll Results: Will Spezza Get Suspended?

Voters
18. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

7 38.89%
  • No

11 61.11%
+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar

Will Spezza Get Suspended?

After taking an instigator penalty against Carlo Colaiacovo in the last 5 mins. of the game will Jason Spezza get suspended or not? Your thoughts.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice
    After taking an instigator penalty against Carlo Colaiacovo in the last 5 mins. of the game will Jason Spezza get suspended or not? Your thoughts.
    From the ice level camera it appeared that CC speared JS, an intent to injure, but regardless, Jason initiated the fight in retaliation. Too bad McGratton wasn't on the ice at the same time, as I am sure that his presence could be sacrificied to teach CC a lesson in etiquette.

The Leafs looked old.

Hall of Fame NoBack is on a distinguished road NoBack's Avatar
    I thought the rule was to force coaches NOT to put on the goons in the last five minutes? If the guy has a regular shift (aslo like Charra) he should not get the suspension. Besides, who wouldnt go off on a guy that just speared you?
    I've spent most of my life golfing .... the rest I've just wasted"
    www.nationalcapitalgolftour.com

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Not sure what will happen here. Chara got the suspension because he was on the carpet earlier this year for an incident in Montreal. It depends on what message the league wants to send to the players. I think Spezza will be suspended as a notice that anyone starting a fight in the last 5 minutes will be dealt with the exact same way.
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Getting Exemptions The Shtick is on a distinguished road The Shtick's Avatar
    He should NOT receive a suspension by any means!

I already wrote an article about this earlier this morning...

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    From the ice level camera it appeared that CC speared JS, an intent to injure, but regardless, Jason initiated the fight in retaliation. Too bad McGratton wasn't on the ice at the same time, as I am sure that his presence could be sacrificied to teach CC a lesson in etiquette.

The Leafs looked old.
    It was not intentional CC just not that kind of player, and no Spezza won't get suspended.

The Leafs look old because Quinn won't play his young guys. It's sad, I think he knows his days are numbered and he's going down his way.

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    What about Belfour? I was at the game and he should have gotten something. Third man in? Hitting Spezza in the face with his blocker? Nothin! If you've ever been clocked by a goalie with his blocker then you'd know it doesn't tickle! I thought they came up with a rule against that?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    This is the NHL's perfect opportunity to repare any damage caused after not suspending Doan and then suspending Chara. The Spezza incident was similar to Doans in that it was an instigator for a brawl that was the direct result of the play and happened straight away. Chara came off the bench after a whistle, lined up and then instigated. No doubt the league will still screw it up and give Spezza a suspension.

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar
    I don't think Spezza should get suspended, but i think he might. I wouldn't be surprised if Belfour got fined, just cause he didn't receive a penalty, doesn't mean he can't get something after the fact.

Hall of Fame spackler is on a distinguished road spackler's Avatar
    How about Cole and Neale completely whiffing on the relevance of the instigator penalty to Spezza. When the two minutes each to CC and Spezza came up on the scoreboard, Cole and Neale seemed to assume that they were only getting minors, not extra minors. Once the penalties were announced, they just repeated them. People think the Leafs are old? Neale and Cole did the play by play of the last supper.

Neale and Cole screwed up..... the ref's screwed up..... tsn.ca (Toronto Sports Network) also screwed up on how the incident started...... hopefully Colin Campbell doesn't screw this one up too - listen to Don Cherry!

3 Wood mcnorth is on a distinguished road mcnorth's Avatar
    Spezza and Colaiacovo should both be suspended by the league. The no-tolerance type of rulings are dumber than dumb because they (supposedly - see Doan case) take any thinking out of the equation. Spezza instigated and should sit but the league should have the wherewithal to see how the incident started. Nobody, NHL brass included, wants the automatic instigator penalty = suspension ruling to result in a rash of cheap shot stick work in the last 5 minutes that no one can make you accountable for. Let's hope they figure this out and do it right - or at least start thinking about the negative ramifications of the rule.

BTW, looks like my "there won't be as many blowouts" theory has bit the dust. More than a couple of lopsided wins this weekend.

Sens looked good on the rush again though (of course Belfour laying an egg helped too). Nice to have Redden back.

I'm impressed that Murray was able to find the reasons why the top line has been struggling and make some suggestions and changes that worked immediately (shorter shifts/quciker passes/fewer individual moves).
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][SIZE=1][/SIZE][/FONT]

Andru
    Bryan Murray is a good coach. He gives his guys a long leash and he makes simple adjustments. Ofcourse he has a very talented team to work with.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    It was not intentional CC just not that kind of player, and no Spezza won't get suspended.
    So he ACCIDENTLY speared him in the groin area? That's makes it OK?. Spezza should have known that he didn't mean to do it and not clocked him.

An avid Leaf fan??? My deepest sympathies.

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by BC MIST
    So he ACCIDENTLY speared him in the groin area? That's makes it OK?. Spezza should have known that he didn't mean to do it and not clocked him.

An avid Leaf fan??? My deepest sympathies.
    I didn't say Spezza shouldn't have gone after him, you're putting words in my mouth BC. I said it wasn't intentional. He's just not that kind of player.

No need for sympathies,sarcastic or not. There's always next year and the year after.

If they keep awarding a stanley cup then one day it will go the Leafs way. Since I don't actually play in the NHL that's all I can control.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru

If they keep awarding a stanley cup then one day it will go the Leafs way.
    wishful thinking

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 LobWedge is on a distinguished road LobWedge's Avatar
    One thing's for sure, Spezza can't afford the negative publicity right now with only 3 days left till Gretzky announces the Olympic squad. I think his bubble just got weaker.
    When applying the Rules, you follow them line by line. You don't read between them.

Hopelessly Addicted fireice is on a distinguished road fireice's Avatar
    Posted on Sportsnet.ca:
    Spezza escapes suspension
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...18_152037_3848

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    wishful thinking
    pes·si·mism ( P ) Pronunciation Key (ps-mzm)

n.
    A tendency to stress the negative or unfavorable or to take the gloomiest possible view: “We have seen too much defeatism, too much pessimism, too much of a negative approach” (Margo Jones).
    The doctrine or belief that this is the worst of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward evil.
    The doctrine or belief that the evil in the world outweighs the good.

No pessimist ever discovered the secret of the stars or sailed an uncharted land, or opened a new doorway for the human spirit.
    - Helen Keller

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by fireice
    Posted on Sportsnet.ca:
    Spezza escapes suspension
    http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/artic...18_152037_3848
    See my post on pessimism above. He wasn't getting suspended not a chance. He's a good NHL citizen.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    Be-lie-ving the Leafs will ne-ver win the Cup-ism

n.

A tendency to stress the positive or favorable or to take the happiest possible view.
    The doctrine or belief that this is the best of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward good.
    The doctrine or belief that the good in the world outweighs the evil.

Synonyms: reality, truth, inevitability

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jonf
    Be-lie-ving the Leafs will ne-ver win the Cup-ism

n.

A tendency to stress the positive or favorable or to take the happiest possible view.
    The doctrine or belief that this is the best of all possible worlds and that all things ultimately tend toward good.
    The doctrine or belief that the good in the world outweighs the evil.

Synonyms: reality, truth, inevitability
    I pity you.

Caddy Law is on a distinguished road Law's Avatar
    I think Belak should be suspended before Spezza. That was a pretty cowardly thing to do and I'm glad Neil didn't shy away from dropping the gloves with this clown.
    Rich

[SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]
    [/COLOR][/SIZE]

Way Beyond Help Colby is on a distinguished road Colby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RLaw
    I think Belak should be suspended before Spezza. That was a pretty cowardly thing to do and I'm glad Neil didn't shy away from dropping the gloves with this clown.
    Wasn't it Belak who pushed Boshenski into the boards and hurt his shoulder?
    It could be that the purpose of your life is only to serve as a warning to others.
    Colby

Must be Single dbleber is on a distinguished road dbleber's Avatar
    Belak is a total loser! Earlier in the game when McGratton was giving him some loving words, he was pretty shy. As soon as he is 2 feet taller and 5 pounds heavier then it's go time. Hate that guy!!!

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by dbleber
    Belak is a total loser! Earlier in the game when McGratton was giving him some loving words, he was pretty shy. As soon as he is 2 feet taller and 5 pounds heavier then it's go time. Hate that guy!!!
    Hehe no onw like Belak. Are you sure you don't want him?

Competitor Hank Hill is on a distinguished road Hank Hill's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Colby
    Nahh that was Berg.

Andru
    No man that was Aki Berg. The push did nothing. Bochenski had more than enough momentum to put himself in the boards. Though the sword fighting going into the corner caused Bochenski to lose his footing.

Shagging Balls jbrace is on a distinguished road jbrace's Avatar
    For what it's worth, I was at the game in the end where Bochenski went into the boards. Belak did not push him into the boards. There was a bit of a race for the puck and there may have been some contact (rubbing and whatnot) well back of the boards, like in the face-off circle area. But Bochenski either lost an edge or lost his balance (or both) and just kind of went down and could not stop himself. Not sure if they showed it on TV, but Belak came right over when the whistle blew and sort of hunched over him for a moment as if checking on him. There was nothing dirty or an intent to injure that I could see, just two guys going for the puck and one guy went down awkwardly. I never saw Belak make any kind of pushing motion on Bochenski towards the boards. But hey, I'm not a Sens fans so I probably saw it totally differently than the majority here.

Bochenski didn't get pushed. He just can't skate.....

Thread Information