100 Holes of Hope
+ Reply to Thread
    Need a Caddy rockford35 is on a distinguished road rockford35's Avatar

Wedge shaft options

Hey guys,

Maybe you can help me out with some suggestions. I'm toying with the idea of an aftermarket shaft(s) for my wedges. I've never tried anything along the lines of a Rifle Spinner, a DGS400 or anything along those lines.

I'm a guy that uses touch more than a hard swing to execute my wedge shots. I'm more apt to play more club and just swing a little less rather than hitting full, maxed out wedges to the green.

Anyone have any suggestions? Currently, I'm play Mizuno Mp series forged wedges, which I believe have a DG S200 stock shaft in them, but correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions or comments are welcomed.

R35

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    If you like to play by feel for your wedges than the Spinner is the way to go. They are specifically designed with that type of shot in mind (half wedge, 3/4 wedge etc.). They seem, to me anyway, to play a little softer than their stated flex but that is probably how they are made. For my money in wedge shaft it would be the Spinner.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Out of Bounds buckylasek is on a distinguished road buckylasek's Avatar
    Spinner !!!!!

Geoff,

"They play softer that their stated flex..."

So, should I be going to the 6.0 over the 5.5 that I carry in my irons currently? I'd like to keep that consistent feel through the set. I know this is difficult to judge, especially when I've never hit the Spinner for any length of time.

Thanks,

R35

Moderator Big Johnny69 is on a distinguished road Big Johnny69's Avatar
    Forever stuck between single digit and trunk slammer!
    Tough call on that one. I wouldn't go out and say they play half a point softer. But the shaft is designed to work that way. Gives you more feel for half shots. So I think going with Spinner 5.5 would be fine considering you say that you are a feel player. I would say go trial and error but at $20 a shaft it could get expensive.

Just for comparison, I use 6.0 when I use Rifles. I had a 60* w/6.5 Spinner in it and had no problem hitting the same yardage as previous 60*s with either DGS300 or regular Rifle 6.0.

But if I was to make a set tomorrow with Rifles I would use the same flex throughout (6.0). Don't know if that means anything to you......

Description from the Golfworks catalogue "Developed for PGA Tour players who like a softer feel in their scoring irons which are used primarily for less-than-full shots."

Hope this helps.
    "A life lived in fear of the new and the untried is not a life lived to its fullest." M.Pare 10/09/08

Not only, i gain a lot of accuracy , feel and distance against DGS200 i had before, and it feels like a golf shaft, not as if you were hitting with a X stiff cheap steel shaft.

Gotcha.

Thanks Geoff and Buck. I'll give the Spinners a go. Maybe I'll order one of each and then make my mind up that way.

Cheers guys,

R35

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Wait til tomorrow. I have a spinner on hand and will measure the butt frequency. I would also consider increasing the sw instead of switching shafts. This way you'll feel the head more. Take it from Tom wishon.
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Well for the Shaft flex , you should take 0.5 more than your irons. I have 6.0, my irons are 5.5. You may not be disappointed with royal precision. And as chieflongtee has one , it's the best way to optimize your golf game.

Golf Canada Rules Official L4 BC MIST is on a distinguished road
    I would want to find out why the Spinner is better for a golfer who plays by feel. Is it the overall weight, swingweight? Does the Spinner have a softer tip section which causes the softer "feel." Profiling the shaft relative to the DGS200's might give one a clue.

Changing butt frequencies may not help, if at the same time the tip or mid section frequencies change, too.

Scratch Player byerxa is on a distinguished road byerxa's Avatar
    I use Rifle 5.0s in my irons and love them. I tried Spinner 4.5s in my wedges and did not like them. They did not feel softer per se, but sort of felt dead to me. Probably a good combination for a better golfer, but not for me. Maybe I should have gone with 5.5s? Anyhow, after much experimentation I ended up back in DG R300s in my wedges. For me they had the best combination of feel and control even though I prefer the rifles in my regular irons.

Yes it's personnal. Maybe the mistake you made was to have a weaker shaft on the wedge, which should have a stiffer shaft. It doesn't feel really softer to me , but it sells as it. It's just that i feel like hitting the ball, and not knowking it with a baseball bat.

Chief,

If you can gauge the Spinner against a S200, that would be ideal. And I like the idea of feeling the weight of the head more.

Thanks in advance,

R35

Arrow shooter Chieflongtee is on a distinguished road Chieflongtee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rockford35
    Chief,

If you can gauge the Spinner against a S200, that would be ideal. And I like the idea of feeling the weight of the head more.

Thanks in advance,

R35
    Problem is I don't have a S200 handy but I can tell that most probably that the spinner 6.0 will feel and play stiffer than the S200
    Live as if you were to die tomorrow. Learn as if you were to live forever.
    Mahatma Gandhi

Postaholic downhillslider is on a distinguished road
    Check out the shafts that Cleavland and Titleist are using. They either have a DG tapper step pattern or a dynalite gold tapper step pattern.Now, check out the lenth of the first step. It is the same lenght as an 8 iron tip section.I did up my own wedges with this setup and spined them using DG300R , i'ts like cheating !!
    I found the 4 to 4 1/2' tipping for the wedge was unresponsive, no feebback for the feel player that I am.

Sand Wedge rob is on a distinguished road
    I like the rifle shafts for wedges.

Golf Guru Nat Williams is on a distinguished road Nat Williams's Avatar
    I would want to find out why the Spinner is better for a golfer who plays by feel. Is it the overall weight, swingweight? Does the Spinner have a softer tip section which causes the softer "feel." Profiling the shaft relative to the DGS200's might give one a clue.
    BC,

I was recently asking about spinners @ a fitting and told that they are just 8 iron shafts... the problem for alot of people is that by the time you get down to wedge shafts in your prefered shaft type they are alot stiffer. The spinner is just a bit softer as a result. I don't know enough about them to know if that answered your question or not, but I hope it helps

I'll be trying some shortly, curious to see if I benefit from them.
    [SIZE=1]NCGT Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Green [/COLOR](06,07,08)[/SIZE]
    [SIZE=1]OG / TGN Ryder Cup Team [COLOR=black]Ottawa [/COLOR](07) [/SIZE]

Thread Information