CorporateGolfXtra 2023
+ Reply to Thread

Thread: East vs. West

Andru

East vs. West

Hey you want to see something interesting. Check out the stats on the East teams records against the west. Terrible. Only 5 teams with a winning record. So far this season the west is best.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/expand...erence=western

Yeesh. and I thought the sens were going to walk to the stanley cup this. I put 20 bucks on it at 80 to 1 odds.

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    hmmm. i count 7 with a winning record vs the west. NY, PHIL, NYI, OTT, BUF, CAR, TB.

and 8 west teams vs the east. pretty even I think.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hopelessly Addicted el tigre is on a distinguished road el tigre's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andru
    Hey you want to see something interesting. Check out the stats on the East teams records against the west. Terrible. Only 5 teams with a winning record. So far this season the west is best.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nhl/expand...erence=western
    Umm, only 6 teams have a losing record. The other 4 have an even record.

Hardly a stunning statistical advantage there, Andru. Especially when you consider that that it is only based on 5 or 6 games.
    Last edited by el tigre; 12-16-2005 at 12:20 PM.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Quote Originally Posted by jeffc
    hmmm. i count 7 with a winning record vs the west. NY, PHIL, NYI, OTT, BUF, CAR, TB.

Jeff, an OTL (overtime loss) is still a loss. Ottawa has a losing record and Philly is even.
    [COLOR=green][B]Golf is a game invented by the same people who think music comes out of bagpipes.[/B][/COLOR]

Hall of Fame jeffc is on a distinguished road jeffc's Avatar
    ok..depends how you look at it. I think getting a point still counts for more than just a loss....

anyways, it's 6-5 then since I will take out ANA and CHI. still works out the pretty much even.
    I got a fever. And the only prescription is more golf equipment.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    don't know about the entire league, but ottawa is sure sucking it up against the west. They're gonna have to shape up if they want to bring the cup back to Canada

Andru
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffc

No Ottawa is 2-1-2

That's 2 wins 3 losses. the last two categories are losses.

Andru
    The whole talk was about how string the east is. It just seems the west's best teams are beating the east's best teams.

San Jose 5-0
    Vancouver 4-0
    Calgary 3-0-1
    Dallas 4-1

Buffalo 4-1
    TB- 4-1.

The others are just getting by some with ties. If you had to pick a stanley cup champ you'd take a team from the west right now.

The whole talk was about how string the east is. It just seems the west's best teams are beating the east's best teams.

San Jose 5-0
    Vancouver 4-0
    Calgary 3-0-1
    Dallas 4-1

Buffalo 4-1
    TB- 4-1.

The others are just getting by some with ties. If you had to pick a stanley cup champ you'd take a team from the west right now.
    No, I would still pick the Sens.

Frankly, I think they lost to Calgary and Vancouver because Calgary and Vancouver placed more importance on those games and therefore played with more intensity. The Ottawa team has learned (the hard way) that the regular season means very little. It wasn't that long ago that the Sens finished first in the league and were almost unbeaten against the Leafs in regular-season play. Of course we all know how that ended.

Not that they don't want to play well and win games, but it is the playoffs that count and the Sens are pretty confident that they will be in the playoffs.

Im a fixture here Pinshark is on a distinguished road Pinshark's Avatar
    So if the sens make it past the leafs (if the leafs make it of course) do you not think that they will run into that same intensity level from Calgary and Vancouver once again? I would put my money on a team from the west....
    PinShark
    [URL="http://www.TheGroutDoctor.ca"] [/URL]

Sleeps here davevandyk is on a distinguished road davevandyk's Avatar

San Jose 5-0
    Vancouver 4-0
    Calgary 3-0-1
    Dallas 4-1

Buffalo 4-1
    TB- 4-1.

I don't think Van has the goaltending to make it deep in the playoffs now, i haven't heard if they think Cloutier will be back or not, and San Jose isn't deep enough in my opinion. The only teams i would think have a good chance out of those are Calgary and TB. The thing you have to remember is, since the west is stronger, the Western Champ will have to play some tough series to get to the finals and will be a lot more worn down than those in the East.

It just seems to me that the East Champ will have at least one easier series, where they play NYI or Toronto, whereas the West Champ really want have an easy series, they will have to beat 4 great teams to win the cup. Right now in the West, Colorado is in 8th, talk about a upset waiting to happen if it ended right now. It also would be nice for Ottawa to oust T.O. in the first round in the playoffs started now!!

Quote Originally Posted by Pinshark
    So if the sens make it past the leafs (if the leafs make it of course) do you not think that they will run into that same intensity level from Calgary and Vancouver once again? I would put my money on a team from the west....
    I believe that the Sens will have a MUCH greater intensity level during the playoffs because they know (now more than ever before) that those are the games that REALLY count.

It seemed to me that the Sens treated the games in Vancouver and Calgary as "just another game" in a long season, whereas the Canucks and Flames treated their game against Ottawa with more importance. Simply put, Vancouver and Calgary seemed to want the win more - and because they are good, talented teams they were able to get that win.

In the playoffs EVERY team raises their intensity level. Then we'll see. Frankly, the only thing that has me worried about the Sens so far this year is the fact that they take too many penalties. Their PK is good, but they play too much. They're going to have to play a lot smarter in the playoffs if they hope to go far.

Hall of Fame jonf is on a distinguished road jonf's Avatar
    it really depends who comes out of the east and who comes out of the west. Yes, the west looks stronger now. But the cup final isn't just east vs west. its team versus team. Some matchups are obviously going to favour the team from the west, others will favour the team from the east. I know it sounds kinda obvious, but to try to predict which conference has the better chance at this point is ridiculous. "

Because anything can happen, anyone can win"

Andru
    I'm bracing for a thumping tonight. The sens are a bit angry becuase of the loss to Dallas. I'd rather the leafs catch a sleepy sens team, but so be it. I'll be playing golf so I'll keep an eye out for the score.

Thread Information